What's the difference between Laois and Offaly anyway?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I can never get my head around this one.
Every county in Ireland has its own distinctive look and feel, its own accent etc. But these 2. I can't help thinking of them as one big county, and a fairly anonymous one at that.
Can anyone help me on this?

Gryire

I can never get my head around this one.
Every county in Ireland has its own distinctive look and feel, its own accent etc. But these 2. I can't help thinking of them as one big county, and a fairly anonymous one at that.
Can anyone help me on this?
They have more councillors per head of population than any other county and also more full time paid council workers.

reknaw

Isn't there another thread about falling standards in Irish education? Looks like some people are pretty bad at geography.:D:D:D:D

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
The only thing I know about them is that they say "A package of tayho", but that could equally be said of Westmeath and probably several other counties too.

Compare and contrast with the whole separate dialect spoken here in Donegal, and the entirely different one again in neighbouring Derry.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Isn't there another thread about falling standards in Irish education? Looks like some people are pretty bad at geography.:D:D:D:D
Well fill me in O Wise One.

And BTW mods move this to humour by all means. I was just bored really.

Disillusioned democrat

The people in these counties live in a time warp where BIFFO means "Bright Intelligent Fellow From Offally" I kid you not - someone on Six One News described BC as such, and they still think FF have a chance of gettig two seats.

willoughby

Well, Laois has more of a FG leaning at the moment whereas Offaly should be sunk to Provide a nice inland lake for Ireland. Also they got our hospital upgrade :) .

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Where to start?:confused::confused: Maybe you should download Google Earth.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
No need, I am aware of the physical boundaries of each county.
What I want to know is what is quintessential about each county, that distinguishes it from the other.

Most Irish people have a 'feel' for each county, with the possible exception of this pair.
Oh and Longford.

reknaw

They are both just so bland. What do people do there?
I once heard a smart-arse, condescending fool like you being beautifully put down by a Sami in the far north of Lapland.;)

He was an American tourist, who looked around with disdain at the empty landscape and asked the local guide: "What do ya do up here all year?"

To which the Sami replied. "In summer we fish and fück, and in winter we don't fish so much.":roll::roll::roll:

RightWingAnarchist

What I want to know is what is quintessential about each county, that distinguishes it from the other.

Most Irish people have a 'feel' for each county, with the possible exception of this pair.
Oh and Longford.
What your 'feel' about Louth or Carlow or Roscommon?

I presume you're a Dub of low IQ?

reknaw

Oh and Longford.
One thing that distinguishes them is that Offaly has won seven All-Ireland titles, Laois only one - the same as Donegal or Derry. ;)

RightWingAnarchist

I once heard a smart-arse, condescending fool like you being beautifully put down by a Sami in the far north of Lapland.;)

He was an American tourist, who looked around with disdain at the empty landscape and asked the local guide: "What do ya do up here all year?"

To which the Sami replied. "In summer we fish and fück, and in winter we don't fish so much.":roll::roll::roll:
Its off the point but you remind me of meeting I once had with an american and a swede in the swede's office. The swede was on the phone. When he finished, the american said to him 'Aha, I see you don't have a word in Swedish for entrepreneur'. The swede's instant reply was 'Yes - just like English'.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Last edited:
Last edited:
What your 'feel' about Louth or Carlow or Roscommon?

I presume you're a Dub of low IQ?
I am indeed a Dub but I have an IQ of 160.

Louth: I used to live in Drogheda.
You would not mistake a Louth accent for any other county.
More dual carriageway per head of population than any other county, and more road deaths per head. Then there's the beautiful Carlingford peninsula.

Roscommon: Sheep shaggers.

Carlow: Pleasant walks along the Barrow. The scallion eaters have the highest mountain in Leinster.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom