What's the difference between Laois and Offaly anyway?

Arracht

no difference between the carlow/kilkenny accent
Ah there is, the Graiguecullen accent is very distinctive alone. Added to that you have border skirmishes between Carlow and Laois in that area too petunia

brigg

Carlow: Pleasant walks along the Barrow. The scallion eaters are very proud of who they are, and have the highest mountain in Leinster.
I assume you are referring to Mt Leinster.
Not meaning to be pedantic, but Mt Lenister is considerably lower than several peaks in Wicklow, with Lugnaquilla being Leinster's highest.

Man or Mouse

I'd say there is more bog in one that the other.

willoughby

I am indeed a Dub but I have an IQ of 160.

Louth: I used to live in Drogheda.
You would not mistake a Louth accent for any other county.
More dual carriageway per head of population than any other county, and more road deaths per head. Then there's the beautiful Carlingford peninsula.

Roscommon: Sheep shaggers.

Carlow: Pleasant walks along the Barrow. The scallion eaters have the highest mountain in Leinster.

Laois has the Barrow as well as the Nore. Nothing like having a flah leash acent. Offaly has more bog. Tullamore is a better town for going out in than Portlaoise but alot of that is probably to do with the fact we're so central it's real easy to get away from the county town.

farnaby

What's the difference between Laois and Offaly anyway?
One contains some of the most dangerous men in Ireland, responsible for attempting to destroy the country.

The other is county Laois.

locke

I find there's a quite substantial difference within Offaly

Birr and Tullamore are very different places.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
no difference between the carlow/kilkenny accent
The Carlow accent has a lot of knackerish in it.

A proper rural Kilkenny accent is completely different to anything in 'Carla'.

Lots of peculiar grammer and words if you speak to anybody around Mulinavegas.

Perrin

The Carlow accent has a lot of knackerish in it.

A proper rural Kilkenny accent is completely different to anything in 'Carla'.

Lots of peculiar grammer and words if you speak to anybody around Mulinavegas.
Mulinavegas... That's a gem. This thread is not so stupid as some of the posters have claimed - when you tell someone where you're from there isn't too much interesting to say about these counties; except they are right slap in the middle of the country and considering the island is so small you're always either near the edge or near the middle anyway.

Accents do vary a lot but only f you're from the area and that's the same for almost every location on the planet.. people from neighbouring areas always think those next door sound completely different

Scorpdoc

Proper Irish people, love their country. As people, Laois and Offaly people are as different as Cork and Kerry People, through my experience of living out here, been a Dub.
Maybe some people who are making these comments should visit the county.

brim4brim

Friendlier than most other counties I'm told by people who go there or meet people from there like me :p

Offaly has pretty much no major rivers in it (by major I mean, something you can run a boat down).

Its bog land and esker filled which makes for good golf courses.

Offaly has Tullamore Show and Phoenix festivals every year and other musical going ons.

Oh and the hurling team always make a go of it in the last 10 minutes :p

Laois is Laois. Nice people and greener, less bog. Don't know much else, you'd probably need to talk to someone from Laois.

A REASON

We provided ye with Darina Allen and we keep John Gilligan behind bars, now ************************ off.

DiarmuidM

The difference between Offaly and Laois ?

Barack Obama.

Quizmaster : who tested your IQ ?

Did you not just learn off the IQ quiz questions in advance ?

Sonny Jim

Offaly has pretty much no major rivers in it (by major I mean, something you can run a boat down).
Apart of course from the Shannon! The journey from Athlone to Shannonbridge via Clonmacnoise is spectacular. Shannon Harbour is a great spot, ditto Banagher on the Shannon.:p

Tomas Mor

I am amazed at how county loyalties, a British creation, have taken such root here. Maybe the old areas such as Breffni which would iclude areas of Leitrim, Cavan, Fermanagh would be more appropriate. Instead we have an abomination of a county like Leitrim extending from Donegal Border to Cavan/Longford border and cut in two by Lough Allen.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom