what's the latest "official" nutritional advice?

D

Dylan2010

what's the latest "official" nutritional advice wtr to diet/obesity? I've been reading a lot recently about the positive effects of low carb diets, which goes against the conventional wisdom that Fat is the culprit. Is the official advice "causing" more obesity, by obsessing about calories in v calories out , rather then the hormonal effect of eating different types of food, carbs increase insulin and casues one to eat more and put on weight.

A view from England

what's the latest "official" nutritional advice wtr to diet/obesity? I've been reading a lot recently about the positive effects of low carb diets, which goes against the conventional wisdom that Fat is the culprit. Is the official advice "causing" more obesity, by obsessing about calories in v calories out , rather then the hormonal effect of eating different types of food, carbs increase insulin and casues one to eat more and put on weight.
Ignore these diets. I followed the Atkins for a while and it messed me up badly. I would suggest a big bowl of porridge for breakfast, a lunch of pasta and salad with fruit and a proper dinner of meat and veg. One takeaway a week. Butter not marg. A pint or two of Guinness a night and a bottle of red wine over three days. Semi skimmed milk, cut down on white sugar and have yoghut and cheese twice a week. You'll not go far wrong.:D

typical

what's the latest "official" nutritional advice
Depends on who is issuing the advice, the dairy council say that you should only eat meats, yogurts and cheeses, the vegetable growers association say you should have, at least, 26 portions of fruit and veg a day and the union of bakers spokesman, 'Oul Mr Brennan, says that "a sliced white pan is your only man".

Personally, I think that if you usually eat food you cook yourself (without using a chip pan) you're probably going to do alright.

Asparagus

Best advice available is to drink pints til 3:30 and then tell people you are congested.

Anglo Celt

Personally, I think that if you usually eat food you cook yourself (without using a chip pan) you're probably going to do alright.
That. And get off your backside. Even a 30min brisk walk a day will do you the world of good.

personally, I eat more or less what I want. Take away once a week, I take fish oil supplements and I swim for one hour every couple of days. Other than that I don't get much more exercise besides leaving the car behind when I go to the shop. All these scare mongering programmes on RTE/BBC/Channel4 are doing more damage to some peoples minds than the supposed bad food they're putting in their mouths.

Stefan Gates recent programme on BBC2 about artificial flavorings and preservatives was excellent. basically he said: you've nothing to worry about. Relax. And get on with living.

Thomas Ofiannachta

Eat natural foods
Bake twice daily
Fill your nostrils up with gravy
Dont drink tea and
Dont drink cofee
Cover your chin in yorkshire toffee

Seriously, i always buy brown loaf.(however try and buy a brown bread sambo in the shops, nearly always white!)
Oily fish such as salmon or mackeral is good (I heard somewhere that tinned tuna has the goodness boiled out of it)

Whats the opinion on all those actimel type drinks? is it just sugary milk??

I agree about cooking your own food, expecially making soup!

DeputyEdo

Start growing your own veg as well......it'll help you eat healthier, and get you out to the garden/allotment to do some physical work
Check out Grow It Yourself Ireland for help and ideas on growing your own

Interista

That. And get off your backside. Even a 30min brisk walk a day will do you the world of good.
In terms of general health and wellbeing, yes. In terms of weight loss, probably very little.

BTW I personally think there is a lot to be said for the theory that refined carbohydrates are the main reason for high levels of obesity, especially in the US. It does seem counterintuitive to argue against the 'all calories are equal' and 'calories in must be less than calories out' argument, but to me the low-carbohyrdate theory is compelling.

typical

In terms of general health and wellbeing, yes. In terms of weight loss, probably very little.
It's not a bad start, you can't undo 10 years of weight gain in 6 weeks. 30 minute a day will mean you lose the weight over a few years, don't put it back on and end up being well.

As far as refined sugars go, I think there's a good bit on sense in what you're saying. Refined fats seem to be fairly messy as well, refined anything actually.

iartaoiseach

the 'official advice' I find is not really helpful a lot of the time. diets in general don't work, the body knows it is being starved and the next time it gets some fat it will store it away for the next rainy day-counterproductive. eat reasonable amounts of decent(unprocessed) food combined with proper exercise. this does not mean sitting on a stationary bike drinking some blue stuff and reading a magazine. Imo if you can concentrate on reading then you are not committed to your exercise and you are not getting the full benefits. as others have pointed out exercise involves a bit of perspiration especially for weight loss.
I'll admit I'm lucky in a way in that I cannot gain weight even when I go mad on the weight training and eat a heap of chocolate and I know that for some even a small amount of junk food piles on the pounds. for these people there may be some merit in metabolic profiling- are you a carb or a protein 'type' most of us are a bit of both. there is a guy called Paul Chek who is an expert on this stuff. he advocates eating as much organic unprocessed food as possible at the right time of the day-the earlier the better, and avoiding too much sugar and caffeine(especially) combined with a suitable exercise program by which he means if you are stressed you take up something like yoga or tai chi, if you are very sedentary but healthy try a more vigorous routine. if you have never really exercised start small and gradually increase intensity.
Basically he says that no one size will fit all, which is a major flaw in most diet/exercise plans that are promoted. the other thing to realize is that there is no quickfix it will involve work and willpower and as much mind as body involvment. any of these drop a stone in a week type diets or exercise regimes that focus on how you look as opposed to how you feel are a short term con job imo.

fluffykontbiscuits

There is a very good article out there about drinking water before having a main course. Apparently it suppresses appetite slightly and people tend to eat less as a result . Here is the link on the BBC website

BBC News - Drinking water before meals helps dieting, says study

I cut out myself the last two weeks

-Sugar in tea and coffee
-Real butter (I mainly used flora anyways)
-Sugary drinks (coke,orange etc)

Tried eating more fruit as well, introducing the changes slowly but surely. Let me know if you want a few recipes as well. Have one for a Red Thai Curry and Caesar Salad :)

D

Dylan2010

One problem in the US is that the food pyramid is run by the department of Agriculture, so even though high fructose corn syrup is now known to be a "killer" in terms of obesity, the DA is going to be very slow to dis' its own corn lobby.

it seems to be questionable about the role of fitness/sport in terms of obesity (and yes it is great in and of itself) as for instance the French didnt exercise in the second half of the 20thC , ate a high fat diet and warent an obese nation

but yeah , there are whole sections of the population creating a problem for themselves due to the way food is presented to us.

Interista

It's not a bad start, you can't undo 10 years of weight gain in 6 weeks. 30 minute a day will mean you lose the weight over a few years, don't put it back on and end up being well.
Like I say, there's no doubt exercise is good for your health and wellbeing. However, there is surprisingly little evidence that even strenuous exercise helps in weight loss.

Gary Taubes questions the relationship between physical activity and losing weight | Life and style | The Observer

At first glance, this seems ridiculous. But when you think about it, it's well known that exercising increases the appetite, and that the number of calories which can be burned even in intense physical activity is actually quite low. As Taubes (author of a very good, though long, book on the low-carb theory) says in the above article, the US Health Board (or whatever they're called) quietly acknowledged some years ago that exercise does not help weight loss, but did not publicise this becuase they knew that many people would simply stop exercising, and thus lose the many health benefits it brings, if they were told it probably woudln't help them to lose weight.

fluffykontbiscuits

Well you do have to admit even if you feel great after it , its a bonus. How many of us want to feel great? We may not lose the pounds but if we feel good then its worth it

Interista

Well you do have to admit even if you feel great after it , its a bonus. How many of us want to feel great? We may not lose the pounds but if we feel good then its worth it
Nobody has denied that exercise has real health benefits. However, the fact is that many people - whatever they might say - only exercise because they think it will help them lose weight, when there really isn't much solid evidence to support this theory. I'm naturally thin, despite the fact that I have never darkened the door of a gym. When I tell people this, they shrug and say "Oh, you don't need to exercise - look at you!" The fact that I'm unfit and am missing out on the health benefits of exercise does not concern them - for so many people, exercise is nothing more than a diet aid. Trouble is, it's not a very good one.

beamish2010

A message to the busybodies.

A message to officialdom...

LEAVE US ALONE...BUTT OUT...LET US EAT WHAT WE WANT...SORT OUT THE
REAL PROBLEMS OF THIS COUNTRY...GET OUT OF OUR FACES...

fluffykontbiscuits

Nobody has denied that exercise has real health benefits. However, the fact is that many people - whatever they might say - only exercise because they think it will help them lose weight, when there really isn't much solid evidence to support this theory. I'm naturally thin, despite the fact that I have never darkened the door of a gym. When I tell people this, they shrug and say "Oh, you don't need to exercise - look at you!" The fact that I'm unfit and am missing out on the health benefits of exercise does not concern them - for so many people, exercise is nothing more than a diet aid. Trouble is, it's not a very good one.
The one thing I learnt recently and as you pointed out is the difference between weight and fitness. I know a guy who is about 17 stone, 6'3 who an swim twenty lenghts of a pool but alas I also know someone who is fairly light and can just about manage two! Good point

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies