What's The New United Korea Going To Look Like?

SlickWilly

Betcha the Koreans will have the Northern part out of the quagmire sooner than we will get out of ours! It will be massively sucessful!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Read David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas" for a vision of a united Korea in about 200 years time.
You have to plow through a lot of other stuff to get to that bit, but it's worth it.

antiestablishmentarian

It won't: there'll be an upgrading of the productive forces in the North but South Korean, Chinese and US multi-nationals will move in lock, stock and barrel buying up state resources and industries for a pittance and their political allies will continue to maintain North Korea as a lowwage economy to maximise profits. It had been proposed in the past that Korea be unified as a federation given the differences in State ideology etc, so I think that is quite possible for economic reasons (the low wages I referred to above) and to prevent refugees leaving from the North we may well see the continuance of border controls along the 38th parallel.

retep

I'd say for starters they'll be a very big crater where Seoul used to be and the surrounding countryside will be what we used call a nuclear winter landscape during the cold war except this will be as a result of a nuclear attack as the North Korea's ruling elite's last response before they cease to exist as a separate nation

seabhcan

There will be a privatisation bonanza, it will be great for those best positioned to benefit.
I doubt it - there is are very few industries in north Korea worth owning. The situation there is far worse than any previous failed communist state.

The challenge will be simply feeding people will take generations to restore the country. Just look at how north korean defectors adjust to life in the south - half of them have nervous breakdowns.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Anyway the Great Leader will be president. After all his term of office is for... er... infinity.

antiestablishmentarian

I doubt it - there is are very few industries in north Korea worth owning. The situation there is far worse than any previous failed communist state.

The challenge will be simply feeding people will take generations to restore the country. Just look at how north korean defectors adjust to life in the south - half of them have nervous breakdowns.
Thats where you're wrong: the North is the worlds tenth largest exporter Iron, the largest exporter of Sand, and has large untapped deposits of minerals in its mountains. There's alot there to be had if the régime were to collapse or be overthrown in war.

collina

What's The New United Korea Going To Look Like?

You didn't quite get the full name, there ya go ...

New United Korean Expanded Democracy

mothball

Might as well put a picture to what others have already said.

There won't be a united Korea unless it's after an NBC holocaust or the dictators in NK come to an arrangement of their choosing. I certainly can't see the latter one happening and the first is unlikely as well regardless of the fear mongering at the moment.

Fubsss

If it did happen though, what a mind f**k for all the North koreans, coming out into the real world.

sondagefaux

I presume this is based on reading the WikiLeaks material which shows that the Chinese would be comfortable with a reunified Korea, run by Seoul and that the South Koreans expect North Korea to collapse completely within a few years of Kim Jong-Il's death.

Based on what limited information there is, it doesn't seem likely that the North Koreans have many state assets that are worth more than a pittance.

I don't think it will be easy for South Korea to bring North Korea up to its standard of living within a short time.

Average living standards in the former DDR are still nowhere near average living standards in western Germany and about 25% of the population of the former DDR has moved west or emigrated. It'll probably take about another 20 to 30 years for eastern Germany to catch up with western Germany.

The gap between North Korea and South Korea is huge, much larger than the gap between the two parts of Germany was. It's probably going to take even longer for the Koreans to bring North Korea up to the same standard of living as South Korea - most likely the best part of a century.

Green eyed monster

It won't: there'll be an upgrading of the productive forces in the North but South Korean, Chinese and US multi-nationals will move in lock, stock and barrel buying up state resources and industries for a pittance and their political allies will continue to maintain North Korea as a lowwage economy to maximise profits..... and to prevent refugees leaving from the North we may well see the continuance of border controls along the 38th parallel.
A bit like Uzbekistan then? The worst of communism and the worst of capitalism combined, the barbed wire AND the miserable conditions of low paid labour?

Anti-Slavery - Forced Labour in Uzbekistan: Background

I get the feeling that part of the reason the North is being picked on because it is different, it is fundamentally different to virtually every other country in the world and there are people who have a one-world agenda united under their ideology who cannot abide that (the Cold War (and this was decades ago when the New World Order was less developed) saw the powers, escpecially the US - penetrating and redesigning countries all over the world, it showed how alternative economic ideologies even in sovereign countries were regarded as unacceptable).

Well seeing as capitalists in our modern world have even found ways to make money from starvation (short selling grain and what not) i think they will make money out of any transition somehow.

SlickWilly

North Korean Children Possibly To Have Brighter Futures Than Ours?

If China pulls away from these Nordies, the game is up, far more so than when the Ruskies pulled away from Cuba, simple as! That leaves a very real possibility that 30 years down the road ie within a generation, children living in the worst country in the world in many respects now will have more going for them than ours will have by then! Thanks Eff Eff and your great fat leader and the don, who went before him!

SeanieFitz

if it happens can you imagine the influx of refugees from north to south? it will make the reunification of germany look like a gerald keane birthday bash

Ideal Gnome

Oh no. Not another U.K.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies