What's the weirdest Christmas Present you were ever given?

redhead

Interesting clickbait I came across lists the best selling toys each Christmas starting in 1963 "What was the best selling toy the year you were born?" (because presumably no one born before then is deemed to be able to know how to use the internet...)

Anyway as I was born in the early 70's I was able to scoot through and see toys that were popular when I was a child and it made me recall some odd gifts that were popular.

Though not listed as a bestseller, sometime in the early 80's the thing for girls one year was Girl's World, which essentially was a mannequin's head that came supplied with make up and hair accessories. They came in blonde and brunette and looked as if they had been swiped off the body of a Thunderbirds puppet.

While I enjoyed playing with it at the time, in hindsight a decapitated looking head was a somewhat gruesome toy to market to young girls. I have received weirder gifts as an adult, but it might be safer not to go into those.

So what's the weirdest Christmas toy or gift you've ever received?

I was lways giben insanely complicated games and presents. Always the intelligent one.

One Christmas I was given an atlas and (strangely) Subuteo stuff.

The atlas had weighted representations of countries based on their economies, their marine fleet etc.

I was 8.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Interesting clickbait I came across lists the best selling toys each Christmas starting in 1963 "What was the best selling toy the year you were born?" (because presumably no one born before then is deemed to be able to know how to use the internet...)

Anyway as I was born in the early 70's I was able to scoot through and see toys that were popular when I was a child and it made me recall some odd gifts that were popular.

Though not listed as a bestseller, sometime in the early 80's the thing for girls one year was Girl's World, which essentially was a mannequin's head that came supplied with make up and hair accessories. They came in blonde and brunette and looked as if they had been swiped off the body of a Thunderbirds puppet.

While I enjoyed playing with it at the time, in hindsight a decapitated looking head was a somewhat gruesome toy to market to young girls. I have received weirder gifts as an adult, but it might be safer not to go into those.

So what's the weirdest Christmas toy or gift you've ever received?

Can I bags the photo for my new aviator for 2017? ( It looks like a photo of the next president of the United States back in the early 70s and has probably comic value potential thanks...) :rolleyes:

Rural

A back-carrier for my Honda 50. I actually said "I love it, whatever it is"!:D

The Honda 50 was stolen shortly afterwards.:(

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
A back-carrier for my Honda 50. I actually said "I love it, whatever it is"!:D

The Honda 50 was stolen shortly afterwards.:(
Ah Rural, I thought you cannot get any cooler, but the thought of you coasting around the back roads of Ireland in the 70s-80s on a Honda 50 well wow!.......... (and bad cess to them bike thieves !) :cool:

Rural

Ah Rural, I thought you cannot get any cooler, but the thought of you coasting around the back roads of Ireland in the 70s-80s on a Honda 50 well wow!.......... (and bad cess to them bike thieves !) :cool:
The 80s Zappy, I wasn't old enough in the 70s.:D

One Christmas my Brother bought me a Ladyshave, he still doesn't understand what not to buy for a girl.:rolleyes:

Merry Everything Zappy! And night night.

between the bridges

An IOU from Santa...

blokesbloke

A German friend of Mumsy's bought me a ridiculous looking hat when I was a nipper, I think it was Russian, I hated it so much I made sure to show it didn't fit.

I had to because I was a very strange little boy who would just wear whatever I was told, and my Mumsy inflicted plenty of sartorial disasters on me. It simply never occurred to me that I could refuse or say no (something which plagues me into adulthood in a rather different context, but I digress...)

The mockery I got at school still affects me to this day, so I include it in my regular verbal beratings of Mumsy which I think is vital in a healthy parent/child relationship even if you are all growed up.

I also remember getting a ventriloquist's dummy which just really weirded me out as a child. I found it very creepy.

As an adult nothing too weird but I regularly get bought clothes in Medium size, which is of little use when one is Extra Extra Large.

These people have seen me, so I do not understand why they do this. Is it an attempt at flattery or a hint I need to drop three clothing sizes?

PeaceGoalie

I remember when my younger brother got dolls - GI Joe or some such s-t. Reagan had just deregulated TV advertising so kids could be better brain washed. It was a major change in emasculating and monetising young boys (and girls).

I bought someone mouse traps this Christmas

Ellen Ripley

We've been playing Cranium this year, it's great fun.

But why do people (okay, men) get so insanely competitive?
(Apparently Hasbro even has a helpline to settle Monopoly disputes)

I don't buy the line about it being a hangover from our evolutionary past--it's a boardgame ffs..:D

alloverbartheshouting

Dunno about weirdest - in fairness, I'd take weird over useless, tacky and unimaginative any day of the week...

Okay, so Santa made a major horlicks of things the Christmas he brought me a burst lolo ball. Not his fault, right?

However, I have a particular acquaintance who for years insisted up giving me a gift maybe I the belief that I would always reciprocate.... And what a load of tat she gave me.

A used candle, a selection of Bewley teas (out of date by more than a year), a chipped souvenir plate from some English stately home, a Christmas pudding (also well-passed its sell-by date)... Basically, items that suggested she would just raid her granny's aytic when she was looking for a present.

Regifting is one thing but this person took it to a whole new level.

Ellen Ripley

Sounds like someone lost a few games of monopoly this year.
Nah, typical Capricorn here--prudent and risk-averse.

He's another one of you salty, bull-headed Taureans though..:D

Ellen Ripley

Dunno about weirdest - in fairness, I'd take weird over useless, tacky and unimaginative any day of the week...

Okay, so Santa made a major horlicks of things the Christmas he brought me a burst lolo ball. Not his fault, right?

However, I have a particular acquaintance who for years insisted up giving me a gift maybe I the belief that I would always reciprocate.... And what a load of tat she gave me.

A used candle, a selection of Bewley teas (out of date by more than a year), a chipped souvenir plate from some English stately home, a Christmas pudding (also well-passed its sell-by date)... Basically, items that suggested she would just raid her granny's aytic when she was looking for a present.

Regifting is one thing but this person took it to a whole new level.
Give her a gift for fekks sake, :D and see where it washes up next year, like a message in a bottle or something.

It may even come back to you, if you give it enough time and she forgets its provenance..

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I got a brother one year. He was shyte at going over fences and wasn't interested in carrots or apples at all.

I still have him though.

Ellen Ripley

I got a brother one year. He was shyte at going over fences and wasn't interested in carrots or apples at all.

I still have him though.
But he must have been some use for target practice, for the baby clay-pigeon shoot thing?

redhead

I still have him though.
That's a fabulous gift, lucky you.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
But he must have been some use for target practice, for the baby clay-pigeon shoot thing?
Lucky for him I'd not seen any clay pigeon shooting at that point. Although I do recall using him as a dart-board at a later stage.About which he was less than enthusiastic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies