• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

What's your favourite Irish accent?

Drogheda445

Time for a light-hearted thread. :)

We live on an island with a range of accents that is surprisingly diverse for a population of only 6 million. Of course there are supposedly many countries with a wide variety of accents and it may be just us who notice the variations.

My favourite is the Cork accent, its very sing-song and finishes with cool endings like "bai" or "kedd", as opposed to Dublin's "loike". I've noticed that accents tend to get deeper as you go further north, with Cork's accents being very high-pitched and Belfast's accent being very down beat (and not that pleasant to be fair, unlike Derry or Donegal). Dublin and "the Wesht" are somewhere in the middle (of course it depends on the person). My least favourite is probably the D4 "roight/loike" accent, it seems very put on IMO (apologies to all south Dubs).

I don't have much of an accent myself (being only mildly influenced by the "cah in the cah pahk" Drogheda accent :D) but I like the huge range of accents that we have on this small island of ours. What's your favourite one, or do you like/dislike them all? :)

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I'd say Donegal. And I'm a Wicklow man.

IrishWelshCelt

Northern accents on women are class regardless of whether its derry/belfast

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Something you learn when you live abroad is that accent diversity in Ireland is 'off the scale'. Essentially, there is no real 'Melbourne' accent, never mind Victorian accent. Yet in Ireland, you can drive 10k and the accent is different. It takes many hundreds of years for this to develop and is one of my favourite things about Ireland.

Mr. Bumble

Ren84

Fave is me own. :) Least favourite is South Dublinese.

Mr. Bumble

The Kerry accent especially West Kerry.

Mr. Bumble

blokesbloke

For sure that Declan Ganley and that David Norris have the most acceptable Irish accents.

Less grating on the ear than usual.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
This. I once worked with a girl from Donegal and her accent was beautiful. To my ear, at least.
Yep; as yet another poster has pointed out; the soft donegal accent on a pretty girl is a knee-weakening combo :)

Mr. Bumble

Nah, it's like poetry especially when combined with their use of language. Except for Healy Rae, the langer.