When and why did Ulster Unionists stop refering to themselves as Irish

DT123

I don't whine about a united Ireland because I'm very patient, and yes I'm as Irish as any southerner. If I moved to the south tomorrow I'd instantly acquire full voting rights.You need to get over the fact that there are now two legally recognised nationalities living here in the north and there will be until we vote it out of existence, when there will then finally only be one. :)
I'd say the mask has slipped but it's been gone for a long time for those with eyes to see.

You'll be long dead before there is any successful vote for a UI. A whole life spent whining about being in the UK,sad really.

Se0samh

McSlaggart

You make no sense.
Why do you care if someone says that "someone uses this to say NI is less British than Finchley" ?

Either they or correct or not. If they are not correct why do you care that have this view?

From my perspective trying to claim for example that Tyrone is British is comical but I do not care if other people think it is.

CastleRay

Why do you care if someone says that "someone uses this to say NI is less British than Finchley" ?

Either they or correct or not. If they are not correct why do you care that have this view?

From my perspective trying to claim for example that Tyrone is British is comical but I do not care if other people think it is.
Read the thread and discussion.

Enigma Variations

I'd say the mask has slipped but it's been gone for a long time for those with eyes to see.

You'll be long dead before there is any successful vote for a UI. A whole life spent whining about being in the UK,sad really.
:)
Whining. Not me. I enjoy life as much as I can & I wouldn't entertain this forum if it didn't provide me with a few laughs regularly. I generally don't take it or politics in general too seriously any more.
Meanwhile, when you're not ranting vitriolically about how groups like Muslims are more prone to disrespect the law or some other mad stuff, you're railing about nationalists, the Catholic Church or the GAA, and just lately you've become rather fixated on "evil" Hillary Clinton for some reason. And you're completely incognizant to fact that in obsessing about these people that you obviously despise, you are just providing light entertainment for others.
You really need to get a grip.

rem81

In the 1960s when the oppressed people of the sectarian ghettoes fought back.

redneck

It was around the time of Daniel O Connell and Catholic emancipation that the backlash against "Irishness" started in my opinion. Irish Unionists did not like Daniel O Connell and his vision of Ireland. They objected strongly.

rem81

death or glory

rem81

Talking to yourself.
The first sign of madness.

#foolingnoone
Your paranoia is a sign of your aging mind Gordy. How are things going pushing 70 knowing your population is aging while Catholics are the youth and going to help us free Ireland?

Talk Back

I believe it was shortly after Ireland was partitioned into NI and the Irish Free State, but can not find much historical reference on this.
The real question is, when did the foreigners START referring to themselves as Irish - before the foreigners STOPPED referring to themselves as Irish.

Talk Back

I think this depends on context. The OO continues to be administered by The Grand Orange of Ireland. The Anglican church isn't referred to as the Church of Northern Ireland.

The difficulty, I would suggest, arose with the chauvinistic identification of Ireland ( and thus "Irish") with Roman Catholicism and völkisch (gaelic) Nationalism, reinforced by speeches such as those by Cosgrave in 1930 and by De Valera - his 1935 St Patrick's day address - 'Ireland remains a Catholic nation'. And of course Catholic nation to de Valera meant all of Northern Ireland, which most definitely was not a Catholic nation.
So-called northern Ireland is not a Nation at all - full stop. Ireland is the Nation you foreigners are planted in.

Derry Down, Antrim, Armagh. Fermanagh and Tyrone are merely 6 counties in the 9 county province of Ulster - which is obviously in Ireland.

As for "völkisch (gaelic) Nationalism" - get this into your thick Unionist head.
We Irish are Gaels, and our country is named in our stead. We are a distinct people - and our country is one of the oldest in the world.

Our Gaelic political and social order, and associated culture, originated/evolved in Ireland during prehistoric times - and still dominates to this day, despite all the foreign interference.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies