When are cyclists going to start paying road tax and insurance ?

The Field Marshal

Cyclists must start to pay the costs of road provision and maintenance.
They all benefit enormously from the hugely expensive road infrastructure yet do not contribute anything at all.

I would suggest an annual flat road tax of 100 euro per bicycle .

In the matter of insurance cyclists must also contribute to the insurance pool as some of them cause damage and injury.i suggest a basic premium of 50 euro.

It is deeply unjust that the only road users paying to use our roads are motorists.

Cyclists must now start to share the financial burdens of road use

What do other posters think.?

Campaign calls for cyclists to hold insurance, pay road tax

The Field Marshal

Soon time means never.
Cyclists are sponging off motorists who carry huge burdens of road tax for the upkeep of roads . In addition uninsured cyclists cause injury and damage and usually again it is the motorist who has to stump up.

realistic1

Cyclists must start to pay the costs of road provision and maintenance.
They all benefit enormously from the hugely expensive road infrastructure yet do not contribute anything at all.

I would suggest an annual flat road tax of 100 euro per bicycle .

In the matter of insurance cyclists must also contribute to the insurance pool as some of them cause damage and injury.i suggest a basic premium of 50 euro.

It is deeply unjust that the only road users paying to use our roads are motorists.

Cyclists must now start to share the financial burdens of road use

What do other posters think.?

Campaign calls for cyclists to hold insurance, pay road tax
We should be encouraging cyclists not penalising them.

Orbit v2

Maybe 50 euro per pedestrian per annum while you're at it. Makes about as much sense.

O

Oscurito

I'd be happy to see them observe the rules of the road for starters.

(And stay off the effing pavements..!)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd never cycle on the pavement. It is too bloody dangerous with all them pedestrians wandering straight out of shop doorways without looking either right or left. No such thing as 'yield right of way'.

No you won't catch me taking my life in my hands by cycling on the pavement. Not unless I'm extremely drunk anyway.

Gin Soaked

Thought motor tax paid for water? That was one of the anti water charges arguements?

Regarding cyclists, I'd like registration plates so you could ticket the lunatic fringe element. Bikes are almost impossible to catch in an urban environment.

Politically toxic though. Can only imagine the protests.

Mad as Fish

Maybe 50 euro per pedestrian per annum while you're at it. Makes about as much sense.
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Two further points -

1. How do you enforce it?
2. If the trend is to reduce pollution through vehicle taxation then taxing bicycles makes no sense whatsoever.

Nonsence & lies

When is Noonan going to Adjust taxes to punish the roads biggest toxic nuisance. DIESEL.
The thing that's harming motorists, Walkers and cyclists a like.

And then when the Gardai/Gansters(insurance companies) come up with a way of ridding the roads of the thousands without Motor Tax/Insurance.

And of course when the laws are changed to put people in Gaol that murder other road users. You know the drivers that kill all other road users and get a few months in prison for doing so.

I'll be the first in the cue to pay a cycling tax. The tax you want me to pay for being on the part of the road that's rarely cleaned, has sunken drains, the part that suffers almost no damage from me being there etc.

But in all honesty as a reasonable non militant cyclist, I'd pay a tax to end the argument, if that money was used to prosecute/teach all bad road users and make it safe for all.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There's going to be a lot more of the bicycularly and velocipedally agile about in years to come. If you look carefully at the amount of those bicycle bays that are appearing hither and yon in the urban environment around the cities mostly because city authorities know that they are going to have to drive vehicular traffic out of city centres because of the toxic levels of carcinogenic materiel they produce in the air then it is the coming thing.

In a few decades there will be nostalgic photos in the papers showing traffic going around Leicester Square and Piccadilly in London and young people will be bemused by them.

O'Connell Street up and across the bridge and to TCD and thereabouts will be awash with the bipedular and bicycularly agile. It will be like Beijing in the 1980s.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

We should be encouraging cyclists not penalising them.
Cyclists are getting all the benefits of our road infrasrtructure without paying a single penny toward its upkeep.

That they are now being asked to make a modest contribution is NOT a penalty merely fair play.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Cyclists are getting all the benefits of our road infrasrtructure without paying a single penny toward its upkeep.

That they are now being asked to make a modest contribution is NOT a penalty merely fair play.
What about unicyclists? Would they have to pay less or apply periodically for a rebate?

New Threads