• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

When do we get our own national Easter Lily week?

cuiseogach

So all the poppy wearers are out it seems and for the first time it got me thinking about our own equivalent- the easter lily.

Now tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've ever had a national day/ week of wearing this symbol to respect and remember our many dead people.

So am I wrong, was there a national lily wearing day, or week, and I missed it?

ruserious

Why do you want to wear something different just because those across the water are wearing something? Seems like you feel the need to overcompensate.

cuiseogach

No Ruserious, that isn't it at all, I just think we should remember the dead as a nation. Why wait until 2016 to do so?

former wesleyan

Would both sides in the Civil War agree to a unifying symbol ?

cogar

Yes we should remember the dead but not by wearing a symbol of a political party. Do not SF 'own' the easter lily - the sticky variety or the one with the pin?

cuiseogach

That isn't enough Ruserious. Majority of Irish people don't even know about that garden.

cuiseogach

Yes we should remember the dead but not by wearing a symbol of a political party. Do not SF 'own' the easter lily - the sticky variety or the one with the pin?
They can't own the symbol surely. Anyway again who would know SF had any connection with it anyway?

ruserious

That isn't enough Ruserious. Majority of Irish people don't even know about that garden.
Listen, people died for this state, and they will be remembered. We don't need to dawn a pin on our jackets to remember them. We have a national garden of remembrance and mant services each year.

cuiseogach

Listen, people died for this state, and they will be remembered. We don't need to dawn a pin on our jackets to remember them. We have a national garden of remembrance and mant services each year.
It's not enough. A garden works as a nice addition but we are not doing our murdered dead justice.

Jacobite

I can hear the stampede of posters from the poppy thread heading this direction already cuiseogach, you dont know what you've started!

ruserious

It's not enough. A garden works as a nice addition but we are not doing our murdered dead justice.
Wearing a pin to remember the fallen risks turning a remembrance movement into a shrillfest.

davidv

So all the poppy wearers are out it seems and for the first time it got me thinking about our own equivalent- the easter lily.

Now tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've ever had a national day/ week of wearing this symbol to respect and remember our many dead people.

you should get in touch with the provo sinn fein shop in parnell square. i am sure they would welcome your brilliant marketing idea. unless, of course, they already have a designated easter lily week. like easter week.
they would not, of course welcome any notions , that would result in them having to share the revenues with somebody else. for example , if you were to suggest a state body, like An Post, were to try and partake in the charade.

Picasso Republic

They can't own the symbol surely. Anyway again who would know SF had any connection with it anyway?
Eh - the fact that its SF trying to peddle the emblem outside every church at Easter may be a fairly obviouis hint.

Buying the Easter Lily is donating money to SF - it is not a national symbol but rather a 'collection day' emblem for SF.

constitutionus

ah now here the powers that be would actually have to give a toss about our war dead to do something like that.

theres a far bigger push for the lads that died for the brits than those who fought them here !

besides ya cant be fostering anything to do with national pride when project EU is in full nation destroying swing :D

cytex

NGA.ie - Contact

Sell the easter lilly around easter and do just what you are suggesting and it is a worthy cause with zero political flag waving .

cuiseogach

Eh - the fact that its SF trying to peddle the emblem outside every church at Easter may be a fairly obviouis hint.

Buying the Easter Lily is donating money to SF - it is not a national symbol but rather a 'collection day' emblem for SF.
What is to stop anyone getting and selling their own batch of lillies and aligning themselves with another charity?

cuiseogach

Wearing a pin to remember the fallen risks turning a remembrance movement into a shrillfest.
Bull. It is a badge of honour and respect.

cuiseogach

ah now here the powers that be would actually have to give a toss about our war dead to do something like that.

theres a far bigger push for the lads that died for the brits than those who fought them here !

besides ya cant be fostering anything to do with national pride when project EU is in full nation destroying swing :D
Now you're talking.