• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

When exactly WILL our day come?

Vol

When do any of you think that a United Ireland will happen?
It's just a matter of time, I'm sure, but when though?

Opinions may be used.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Umm... .Tuesday..

no Wednesday .... no theres soccer on Sky...

maybe the weekend ...

I dunno really

pluralist

Well firstly I think the IRA will have to be decommissioned/disbanded. They always held back the cause of Irish unity anyway by terrorising innocent (and not-so-innocent) Unionists, so they'll have to go for starters.

Secondly, it won't happen when Paisley is still alive.

The above two are the main stumbling blocks at present, however once these two are overcome which will happen in time, I would be cautiously optimistic.

watch-this-drive

If, when decades of terrorism and violence are finally put to rest, leaders decide to risk more decades of terrorism and violence then it will happen

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
Vol said:
When do any of you think that a United Ireland will happen?
It's just a matter of time, I'm sure, but when though?

Opinions may be used.
If you've got to wait for the demographics to work through, I guess it'll be about twenty years.

Trojanhorse

When Aliens land and make us all alieniods. Then we'll be united by our deformed heads and lack of self thought.

Happy Days really

Pidge

pluralist said:
Well firstly I think the IRA will have to be decommissioned/disbanded. They always held back the cause of Irish unity anyway by terrorising innocent (and not-so-innocent) Unionists, so they'll have to go for starters.
That's a must. Not just because I don't like the IRA, but because unionists will never accept it. They have to feel that they've beaten or at the very least not lost to the IRA.
The disbandment or at least disappearance of the IRA is also crucial for cross-border links to solidify. Over the past few years we've seen more and more cross-border organisations, initiaves and communities form. These kind of links are near to impossible to keep in times of violence.

The day we've got an full united Ireland is probably a long, long way away. As for the immediate future, the two regions will continue to grow into each other so that we'll have a united Ireland in all but name.

hiding behind a poster

Ever thought about what'll happen to our taxes when the Brits stop subsidising Northern Ireland, and we've gotta foot that huge bill every year.....

hiding behind a poster said:
Ever thought about what'll happen to our taxes when the Brits stop subsidising Northern Ireland, and we've gotta foot that huge bill every year.....
Yes, and I consider it a financial penance for Lynch "standing idly by".

As the UN, US and EU also stood idly by I see no reason why they should not contribute as well.

Pidge

UnrepentantFenian said:
Except this time, everyone, North and South will have to pay for the North. No more sugar-daddy for NI

hiding behind a poster

As the UN, US and EU also stood idly by I see no reason why they should not contribute as well.
[/quote]

I'd love to be there when you make that argument to them.....

UN

Wanna success story for once?

EU

Say hello to peace and stability on your Western border :)

US

Republicans , Democrats say hello to the Irish Vote :)

hiding behind a poster

UnrepentantFenian said:
UN

Wanna success story for once?

EU

Say hello to peace and stability on your Western border :)

US

Republicans , Democrats say hello to the Irish Vote :)

Only the third one is valid - the first two couldn't give a toss.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I want it to happen but immigration could well prevent it (immigration into the South)...

The immigrants will continue to identify with their countries of origin and their descendents may well too. With 85,000 people coming in annually from the new EU member states, together with 34,000 non-EU work permits per annum, and 5000 so-called asylum seekers last year, over 100,000 foreigners are coming into the South each year. This is nearly ten times the natural increase (births minus deaths) of 13,500 per annum. The President of DCU has predicted a non-Irish majority in the South in 2050.

They will not vote for a United Ireland. They don't have the sentimental attachment to a United Ireland that Irish nationalists and many Irish people have.

If we tighten immigration controls we will have a United Ireland around 2070. In time for my 90th birthday :)

If FF is really "The Republican Party" they should prove it by preventing the future of the Irish nation being taken out of our hands and transferred to foreigner control.

edifice.

The Good Friday Agreement Stork....

Trojanhorse

FutureTaoiseach said:
I want it to happen but immigration could well prevent it (immigration into the South)...

The immigrants will continue to identify with their countries of origin and their descendents may well too. With 85,000 people coming in annually from the new EU member states, together with 34,000 non-EU work permits per annum, and 5000 so-called asylum seekers last year, over 100,000 foreigners are coming into the South each year. This is nearly ten times the natural increase (births minus deaths) of 13,500 per annum. The President of DCU has predicted a non-Irish majority in the South in 2050.

They will not vote for a United Ireland. They don't have the sentimental attachment to a United Ireland that Irish nationalists and many Irish people have.

If we tighten immigration controls we will have a United Ireland around 2070. In time for my 90th birthday :)

If FF is really "The Republican Party" they should prove it by preventing the future of the Irish nation being taken out of our hands and transferred to foreigner control.

Jeez will you ever please stop with the immgration rants an cop-on. We're all foreigners in this country anyway because we had to come from somewhere. I would suggest you have a look into your family history FT and see where you came from. I'm so sick of people going on about Irish culture this and Irish Culture that when you don't evn have the first clue of what it is about. Whether we have united Ireland or not have absolutely nothing to do with immigration so JUST STOP IT

Irish nationalism was created in the 18th century by people with so called west-brit backgrounds and middle class Irishmen and women. It gave them something to do. now we are all apparently an authority on what is classed Irish and what isn't. The fact of the matter is that cultures thrive on multicultralism and Irish culture has lost alot of it's staleness really, which to be prefectly honest is great.

Eddie Collins

I won't come regardless of the demographic changes.

The Brit army struggled to keep the peace and prevent atrocities by the nationalist minority terrorist groups.

What chance would the Republic's army have against unionist minority terrorist groups?

PAUL MEYER

How on Earth would the republic cope with an additional one and half million people, one million of whom have no interest in or loyalty to the State? How will the schools be run? Whose version of Irish history will be taught? What about the Irish Language, will knowledge of it still be mandatory for Government jobs etc? What about the threat from unrepentant Loyalists? proportionately a bigger threat than the IRA were to the British. In fact does anybody think that a United Ireland is actually possible?