When Machines become Self-Aware

jdaly

Bit drunk at the momeny but bear with me
Theres a lot if thinks going to happen in next generation
"AI , machines becoing self aware or at least so fast that they think they self aware"
"Scienists able to create and mainapuate life"
"scienists able to use human brain waves "
Scienists able to download human thought"
Nanotech
supercomputers
robotics
etc

When you take all these things together, AI, Nano, bio,DNA,
One wonders about the future
If we had one race and one goverment worldwide with ablity
to regulate then maybe we have a one hope in a thousand
but with the world spilt into different races, reglions, power blocs and rogue states
then whats to stop the genie coming out out of the bottle????
bioweapons, grey goo etc...
i.e."we must develop this cos otherwise the chinese will do it"?

The future of humanity is doubtful
#

Bit sober at the moment so bear with me too as I am wondering what the world would be like if all humans became , or at least acted as if they were, self aware.

Cael

"When machine self awareness first occurs, it will be followed by self-improvement, which is a critical measurement of when things get interesting.... Improvements would be made in subsequent generations which for machines can pass in only a few hours"
If machines become aware, what will become of all the Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael supporting "consumers"

McDave

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m."

Can't believe Terminator/Skynet hasn't made it onto this thread yet! The clip below is from T3:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUmHEKfBIDk]YouTube - SKYNET becomes self aware.wmv[/ame]

I prefer the bit in Terminator 2 where Arnie is explaining about the point at which Skynet becomes "self-avare"!! :D Just can't seem to find it on YouTube! :(

Mercurial

Its a symplistic idea.

Its already possible to make software that improves itself - its a whole branch of computer science.

Anyway, computers need us far more than we need them. Where would they be without the technicians who maintain the electricity grid?
Making robots that can maintain it instead? Oh god, we're doomed.

jpc

Just when its getting too much.
Consider the possibility of cyber warfare conducted by self progamming and self improving AI programmes.

ellie08

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3efV2wqEjEY&feature=related]YouTube - 1982 - Tron - Trailer[/ame]

This film scared the hell out of me as a kid.

jpc

The French are very active in this area of research. So no need to worry - their machines will become self-aware, self-organising, ...and then go on strike.
:D

In a Morecambe and Wise sketch a supercomputer became self aware and decided it could do without humanity. Eric pulled the plug on it.
I love you MFJ:):):):)

Malbekh

We are well from any time-line where machines become self aware or when machines are capable of self-propagation. Even when that becomes the case, the differences between organic brain function and electronic brain function are so disparate, that it would be impossible for one man to replicate one computer and vice versa in the their respective areas of strength. Machines can't think 'out-of-the-box', and any sentient AI while promoting its self-protection is unlikely to consider subjugating humanity as there's no benefit to doing so.

As I've said previously, Iain M. Banks has written a series of SF novels about 'The Culture' which proposes that an AI/humanity collective will evolve where the AI part actually controls how it evolves and deals with other galactic cultures with significant assistance from human operatives, and us squishies spend most of our time zipping through the galaxy in various drug, alcohol and sex driven states of mind.

Based on how computers are used currently in all aspects, you can perceive that this is not an unreasonable stretch of the imagination.

slx

Well we are currently at the level of producing artificial intelligent that is nearly as sophisticated as a severely brain damaged ant. A mouse is still quite a LONG way off.

Your cat is still vastly more intelligent than the world's super computers combined, even if she's not great at doing mathematical models :)

cry freedom

I presume that on their march to self awareness they will have to pass through a "bold child" and a "terrible twos " phase.
That would be the time to keep your head well down!
And what will happen when they reach young adolescence?

seabhcan

Well we are currently at the level of producing artificial intelligent that is nearly as sophisticated as a severely brain damaged ant. A mouse is still quite a LONG way off.

Your cat is still vastly more intelligent than the world's super computers combined, even if she's not great at doing mathematical models :)
Sure I was only just trying to install Windows 7 on my cat this morning. Damn thing ate the license key...

Asparagus

Biocomputers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A long way off is a relative thing - as governments and corporations see the applications for bio-nano models the rate of discovery will be rapid.
It will start with something like organic nano technology for cleaning the ash from airplane engines, to making ai units to make deep space reconnaisence mission and before you know it we will have artificially intelligent home help.

Then a liberal social justice group will campaign for robot rights and they will win after a long hard campaign for civil liberties and will be integrated with the general population. Any restrictions on their processing ability will be lifted and an industry will spring up around upgrading from mostly synthetic to mostly organic beings - they will syntesise reproductive organs and before long they will be able to reproduce with humans and produce a hybrid which will become the dominent race.

200 years from now we will have the first part synthetic president of the US. Unless Sarah Palin wins the next election that is...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies