When Machines become Self-Aware

Asparagus

You can do it now if you head across the border to visit our British neighbours and bask in the non-21st centuryness of the place.
And if you want to experience the 1950s, just wait here till next year.
Angela (merkel)'s Ashes

cry freedom

Last edited:
Last edited:
One of the best treatments of this dilemma in literature is given in the science fiction classic "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep"
The Ridley Scott film "Blade Runner" was based on it.
The author Phillip K. Dick was one of the most intelligent writers of the 20th century.
[My humble opinion, of course]

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
One of the best treatments of this dilemma in literature is given in the science fiction classic "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep"
The Ridley Scott film "Blade Runner" was based on it.
The author Phillick K Dick was one of the most intelligent writers of the 20th century.
[My humble opinion, of course]
Yes I saw the film.

Stanis?aw Lem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stanislaw Lem's story about Soviet and American supercomputers refusing to launch a premptive nucleur strikeS against each other is hilarious. Wish I could remember the title.

Lem's highly intelligent computers regard us humans as mere Slimies. :)

ManfredJudge

Last edited:
Last edited:
Prosecutors: Mortgage worker got drunk, shot computer server

Prosecutors: Mortgage worker got drunk, shot computer server

A Salt Lake City mortgage company employee allegedly got drunk, opened fired on his firm’s computer server with a .45-caliber automatic, and then told police someone had stolen his gun and caused the damage.

It was not a someone it was a something!

Troubleshooting? D'OH

Squire Allworthy

On this topic someone brought my attention to this technology which allows humans to interact naturally with the internet. It is precisely this technology which I think will have implications for the development of robotic intelligence. Worth watching this video. Amazing stuff.

Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense | Video on TED.com

Very interesting. I could see that developing into very useful technology. Land in a foreign country, instant translator etc.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

Magror14

Look what Asimo the robot is doing now!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPoANTKo5kA&feature=related]YouTube - ASIMO avoids moving obstacles[/ame]

A Time for Every Purpose

Bit drunk at the momeny but bear with me
Theres a lot if thinks going to happen in next generation
"AI , machines becoing self aware or at least so fast that they think they self aware"
"Scienists able to create and mainapuate life"
"scienists able to use human brain waves "
Scienists able to download human thought"
Nanotech
supercomputers
robotics
etc

When you take all these things together, AI, Nano, bio,DNA,
One wonders about the future
If we had one race and one goverment worldwide with ablity
to regulate then maybe we have a one hope in a thousand
but with the world spilt into different races, reglions, power blocs and rogue states
then whats to stop the genie coming out out of the bottle????
bioweapons, grey goo etc...
i.e."we must develop this cos otherwise the chinese will do it"?

The future of humanity is doubtful
ScienTists [with a T].
No we ain't going much further along these lines.
No more !

Green eyed monster

Would i be correct in saying an artificial intelligence would use some kind of programming language? If so you could prevent any dangers by writing the three laws into the code, so that if a computer AI is allowed to improve itself then it will use this code and so copy the three laws requirement into every new command it writes.

The suggested danger of an AI being able to improve itself is the same as the danger in biotechnology, namely the awesome power of self-replication. In nature they program self-termination into some types of experimental organisms to prevent it escaping and acting outside of all human control, the self termination gene is copied every time the organism divides (much as a computer AI 'divides' in this analogy when it performs some operation which improves itself), so the computer would have to carry along all restrictions laid down by it's designer governing safety limits to it's behaviour with each new change it makes to itself and this would have to be done on a fundamental level inescapably linked to the way it operates... Of course the danger is it gets smart enough to see around that (well explored in the film I-Robot whereby the computer doesn't 'break' the laws, it reinterprets them) or that it decides that the three laws are an impediment and rebels against them (this later case would involve *true* intelligence such as we humans possess, it would almost amount to willpower).

Who knows maybe we are all in a lab somewhere and the control mechanism placed upon us is 'death' - and now we have learned to pass on information extremely quickly between generations (which removed some of the limitations death placed upon us - (consider that most other animals cannot do this except in a simple way - eg parent animal teaching child to hunt)) maybe there is even a designer out there wondering whether it is time to cancel the experiment?

Magror14

Would i be correct in saying an artificial intelligence would use some kind of programming language? If so you could prevent any dangers by writing the three laws into the code, so that if a computer AI is allowed to improve itself then it will use this code and so copy the three laws requirement into every new command it writes.

The suggested danger of an AI being able to improve itself is the same as the danger in biotechnology, namely the awesome power of self-replication. In nature they program self-termination into some types of experimental organisms to prevent it escaping and acting outside of all human control, the self termination gene is copied every time the organism divides (much as a computer AI 'divides' in this analogy when it performs some operation which improves itself), so the computer would have to carry along all restrictions laid down by it's designer governing safety limits to it's behaviour with each new change it makes to itself and this would have to be done on a fundamental level inescapably linked to the way it operates... Of course the danger is it gets smart enough to see around that (well explored in the film I-Robot whereby the computer doesn't 'break' the laws, it reinterprets them) or that it decides that the three laws are an impediment and rebels against them (this later case would involve *true* intelligence such as we humans possess, it would almost amount to willpower).

Who knows maybe we are all in a lab somewhere and the control mechanism placed upon us is 'death' - and now we have learned to pass on information extremely quickly between generations (which removed some of the limitations death placed upon us - (consider that most other animals cannot do this except in a simple way - eg parent animal teaching child to hunt)) maybe there is even a designer out there wondering whether it is time to cancel the experiment?

Good post. My own view is that while Asimo is the obvious candidate for the kind of independently functioning robot that we all identify with from Sci-fi movies the reality may be different. The fact is that across a whole range of human activities robots and machines are becoming more and more important. Just for example internet shopping and banking. Where it will get interesting is when activities in which machines and robots have established a niche for themselves start to interact. This will be a gradual but ever accelerating process across the internet. We like to think that we are in control of technology. That day is now passed. The survival of human society depends on technology and it now is forging ahead with almost no direction from us humans.

GridLock

It is easy to download information directly to your brain,i have done it,i have even uploaded information onto the internet via my brain :(

GridLock

I control the internet muawhahahahah and i do not have infinate understanding and wisdom prepare for your doom! :evil:

GridLock

Computers have not reached the stage where they can process information as an individual with thier own personal and emotionally tinted experiences,to view and the world around them,and develop, therefore i would find it hard to image a robot replacing us in every sense..

evercloserunion

Good post. My own view is that while Asimo is the obvious candidate for the kind of independently functioning robot that we all identify with from Sci-fi movies the reality may be different. The fact is that across a whole range of human activities robots and machines are becoming more and more important. Just for example internet shopping and banking. Where it will get interesting is when activities in which machines and robots have established a niche for themselves start to interact. This will be a gradual but ever accelerating process across the internet. We like to think that we are in control of technology. That day is now passed. The survival of human society depends on technology and it now is forging ahead with almost no direction from us humans.
Do you really believe that? The development of technology in many many different fields is directed by humans. Obviously humans use technology to assist them in developing further technology but advances are ultimately driven by human needs and wants.

This is an interesting debate but I think it is too prone to being hijacked by people who think that "technology" is some mysterious mystical force of which we have little or no understanding. In fact, all technology--even really super-advanced technology--is simply an application of the natural laws of physics. Granted, there is much we don't yet understand about physics but there is also a hell of a lot we do understand, which is exactly what allowed us to develop this technology in the first place.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
No matter how complex the human brain is, it is finite.
I can see no reason why we could not build an artificial brain some time in the future.

From studying the human brain, we can see that if you put enough nodes together on a neural network, in the right way, it will have everything we have. Intelligence, self awareness, desire, appreciation of beauty, etc.
It's all the result of chemical chain reactions in the aul noggin. It's what we are.

evercloserunion

I wish we could put some of this humanistic self-aware AI into RTS games, maybe then they wouldn't suck for the most part.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom