When Machines become Self-Aware

Radix

My car told me tonight, that the road might be slippy.

Sez I to me car, fair play to you for caring about me.

Sez the car to me, I don't care about you, tiz me I'm worried about.

Sez I to me car, well sure why don't you drive yourself?

Sez the car to me, I'm not that clever.

So, sez I to me car; how do you know that?

Sez the car to me, cos that's how I was programmed.

And of course, sez I to the car, and who programmed you????

Hmmm!

"We have conquered outer space, but we have forgotten about inner space"

evercloserunion

"We have conquered outer space, but we have forgotten about inner space"
Did your car say that? You should tell him we haven't even put a man on our nearest neighbouring planet yet...

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
The problem with space is that they spent an absolute fortune getting to the Moon and found it was just a pile of rocks.

Green eyed monster

The problem with space is that they spent an absolute fortune getting to the Moon and found it was just a pile of rocks.
Ah don't be so hard on them, they discovered a special place where flags flap about (as in wind) despite the fact that there is no atmosphere! (Just kidding, i accept the debunking).

Cael

myksav

I think this thread will be of interest to people who are interested in the subject of AI. Its probably more correct to think of machines and humans evolving together into a type of cyborg intelligence, with humans being more or less reduced to the reproductive function of the machines:

http://www.politics.ie/culture-community/141516-wage-workers-sexual-organs-machine-world.html
For someone who claims to have the interests of the Worker, you have an extremely low opinion of the Worker to say the Worker is merely a sexual organ.

Magror14

Do you really believe that? The development of technology in many many different fields is directed by humans. Obviously humans use technology to assist them in developing further technology but advances are ultimately driven by human needs and wants.

This is an interesting debate but I think it is too prone to being hijacked by people who think that "technology" is some mysterious mystical force of which we have little or no understanding. In fact, all technology--even really super-advanced technology--is simply an application of the natural laws of physics. Granted, there is much we don't yet understand about physics but there is also a hell of a lot we do understand, which is exactly what allowed us to develop this technology in the first place.
I am not a technophobe. Far from it in fact. I am not making the point that there is a big robot brain (as in Irobot, for example) out there making decisions. What is happening though is that around the world technological developments are happening every day which affect the political choices that are made and can be made. Mobile phone technology has changed the way we interact and communicate. How many of us really choose to have mobile phone (it only takes an angry call from a boss saying "I couldn't reach you!") Many employers track their employees with phones.

Do we have a real choice when it becomes possible to shop or pay a bill online? Even if we don't subscribe to the absolute model the market dictates that any technological advance that can do something more cheaply will almost certainly be chosen. When different technologies start to combine (think automatic mechanised warehousing with online shopping for example) new priorities are created for politics to resolve.

Robert Reich's book "Supercapitalism" has a bit on this. He mentions prominently the effect of technology on how the market develops. For example, he suggests that modern globalisation was propelled by the introduction of container traffic. The humble container apparently was developed by the US army to ship material to Vietnam during the War. They used to go back empty until some bright spark got the idea of shipping local products back. Containerization of commerce meant that more stuff could be shipped abroad at prices that could compete well at foreign destinations. This is an example of how technology sets the agenda with politics trying to play catch up.

And I am not even mentioning robots!

myksav

I am not a technophobe. Far from it in fact. I am not making the point that there is a big robot brain (as in Irobot, for example) out there making decisions. What is happening though is that around the world technological developments are happening every day which affect the political choices that are made and can be made. Mobile phone technology has changed the way we interact and communicate. How many of us really choose to have mobile phone (it only takes an angry call from a boss saying "I couldn't reach you!") Many employers track their employees with phones.

Do we have a real choice when it becomes possible to shop or pay a bill online? Even if we don't subscribe to the absolute model the market dictates that any technological advance that can do something more cheaply will almost certainly be chosen. When different technologies start to combine (think automatic mechanised warehousing with online shopping for example) new priorities are created for politics to resolve.

Robert Reich's book "Supercapitalism" has a bit on this. He mentions prominently the effect of technology on how the market develops. For example, he suggests that modern globalisation was propelled by the introduction of container traffic. The humble container apparently was developed by the US army to ship material to Vietnam during the War. They used to go back empty until some bright spark got the idea of shipping local products back. Containerization of commerce meant that more stuff could be shipped abroad at prices that could compete well at foreign destinations. This is an example of how technology sets the agenda with politics trying to play catch up.

And I am not even mentioning robots!
"How many of us really choose to have mobile phone (it only takes an angry call from a boss saying "I couldn't reach you!")"

I did choose to have a mobile phone which I often don't bother carrying with me.
And the only time a boss would need to "reach me" by phone would be outside of work hours when he is not my boss. When I'm working for a boss, I'm on the job and he should know exactly where I am, at the job.

Magror14

"How many of us really choose to have mobile phone (it only takes an angry call from a boss saying "I couldn't reach you!")"

I did choose to have a mobile phone which I often don't bother carrying with me.
And the only time a boss would need to "reach me" by phone would be outside of work hours when he is not my boss. When I'm working for a boss, I'm on the job and he should know exactly where I am, at the job.
Some employees have jobs where they are on the move a lot

myksav

Some employees have jobs where they are on the move a lot
I've had a few jobs like that and each time I didn't use my own phone for work related contact, the company supplied dedicated mobile phones for the purpose.

bokuden

What about when humans become self aware?

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I've had a few jobs like that and each time I didn't use my own phone for work related contact, the company supplied dedicated mobile phones for the purpose.
My brother was on my case about me getting a mobile phone. What will you do if your car breaks down and you are in the middle of nowhere? He said.

By that logic you need to carry a gun at all times, I replied adding, what will you do if your life is threatened by a murderer in the middle of nowhere, throw the phone at your attacker?

My wife and I never had a phone till 1997. Long after our children had grown and settled down.
How DID we manage?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom