• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

When Pat Cox panics over EU intentions you know you're screwed

He3

When Pat Cox gets windy over the EU's intentions for Ireland you know you're screwed.

And he has hammered on the panic button:

"It would be a grave error of judgement by the EU, its servants or member states, however powerful or influential they may be, to seek to force Ireland's hand on coprorate taxation.... solemn guarantees must count for something,

If not, the very legitimacy of the EU itself would be called into question....The consent of the governed in Ireland for the Lsbon treaty was informed by the guarantees, including the tax guarantee. Its nullification without their consent would be an act of duplicity unworthy of any law abiding and self respecting institution".

Source: ST p13 - but be warned that the facing page has a full colour full frontal photomontage of lycra-clad Enda Kenny, Johnny Ronan and Craig Doyle riding off the page in your direction....

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Pah, no worries.. that's nutter talk from us who opposed Nice and Lisbon 2

Isnt it..

Didn't Pat Cox oppose both reruns ?

Vote Yes for Jobs and Recovery

Expatriot

Its BS, the EU is not going to force us to do anything. This is scare tactics to soften you up for some taxing and cuts. Blame the EU or whoever you like, but its our problem and our fault. The EU is bailing us out at the moment. Nobody in the EU said anything about Corpo tax at all, they talked about low tax in general. They are right to do so because we are in severe danger of damaging other EU countries with our nonsense policies. We are the one breaking the rules not the others.

gijoe

Just read the article in the ST. Going by the quotes from Cox it sounds as if he himself is not even convinced by the 'guarantees'.

Half Nelson

When Pat Cox gets windy over the EU's intentions for Ireland you know you're screwed.

"It would be a grave error of judgement by the EU, its servants or member states, however powerful or influential they may be, to seek to force Ireland's hand on coprorate taxation.... solemn guarantees must count for something,
Imagine if he had come out with this before the Lisbon vote.

These are not the words of somebody convinced.

midlander12

I have to laugh when I remember the visible contempt he showed during the Lisbon debate for those who merely predicted what is now happening, a year later. One of the few good things to happen in Irish politics in recent years was the departure of this arrogant attention-seeker from domestic politics.

turdsl

Anyone who thinks our corporation tax will not be touched in the next few years is living in dreamland.

He3

Pah, no worries.. that's nutter talk from us who opposed Nice and Lisbon 2

Isnt it..

Didn't Pat Cox oppose both reruns ?
That must be a different Pat Cox.

Tigris Celtica

I have to laugh when I remember the visible contempt he showed during the Lisbon debate for those who merely predicted what is now happening, a year later. One of the few good things to happen in Irish politics in recent years was the departure of this arrogant attention-seeker from domestic politics.
+1 Cox and Brussels deserve each other ..... Mediocre, self inportant waste of space

west'sawake

While I share some of those sentiments, I must admit to being surprised at his honesty now in admitting there is a push to get our CPT rate, and an implicit admission too that the so called guarantees are not worth the paper that we never saw them written on.

Ulster-Lad

While I share some of those sentiments, I must admit to being surprised at his honesty now in admitting there is a push to get our CPT rate, and an implicit admission too that the so called guarantees are not worth the paper that we never saw them written on.
I posted this in another thread yesterday but it applies here as well.

Lisbon Treaty offers new possibilities

At their March summit, EU leaders appeared to partially overcome these obstacles, stressing that the EU’s new economic governance should make full use of "the new economic coordination instruments offered by the Lisbon Treaty".

The text explicitly mentions Article 136 of the Lisbon Treaty, which states that the EU Council of Ministers – representing the 27 member states – can adopt measures concerning eurozone countries in order "to strengthen the coordination and surveillance of their budgetary discipline" and "to set out economic policy guidelines for them".

Such measures can be adopted by a qualified majority of the "participating member states," meaning in this case the 16 countries that are currently members of the euro (Article 238.3(a)).
The EU's economic governance: Rewriting the rulebook | EurActiv

28-29 Oct. 2010: EU Summit due to adopt final plans to overhaul the bloc's economic governance.

^^ next date on the agenda. Could be the final nail for us.

consultant

Hang on, we didn't need to see them written. Cowan, Martin, gormless et al all told us they had secured the guarantees. These guys don't do porkies and deceit.

Fine, upstanding gentlemen each and every one of them.

Al.

It would be a grave error of judgement by the EU, its servants or member states, however powerful or influential they may be, to seek to force Ireland's hand on coprorate taxation.... solemn guarantees must count for something,

If not, the very legitimacy of the EU itself would be called into question....The consent of the governed in Ireland for the Lsbon treaty was informed by the guarantees, including the tax guarantee. Its nullification without their consent would be an act of duplicity unworthy of any law abiding and self respecting institution.
Source: ST p13 - but be warned that the facing page has a full colour full frontal photomontage of lycra-clad Enda Kenny, Johnny Ronan and Craig Doyle riding off the page in your direction....
Oh, that's amusing. I suppose that his job as campaign director for Ireland for Europe kept him too busy to actually read the treaty he was promoting? Surely his time as a MEP couldn't have made it more obvious that he was a mere wielder of a rubber stamp for an unelected bureaucracy that wields absolute power and answers only to an elite upper class. Our "new empire" has no habeas corpus, the "Charter of Fundamental Rights" gives the power to grant (and take away) rights solely to the "supranational" government rather than the people possessing them, and already shows the gross displays of vassalage.

west'sawake

While I share some of those sentiments, I must admit to being surprised at his honesty now in admitting there is a push to get our CPT rate, and an implicit admission too that the so called guarantees are not worth the paper that we never saw them written on.[/QUOTE]

Hang on, we didn't need to see them written. Cowan, Martin, gormless et al all told us they had secured the guarantees. These guys don't do porkies and deceit.

Fine, upstanding gentlemen each and every one of them.
Indeed. They fooled us once, shame on them; they fooled us twice, shame on us.

Yet the electorate are only faced with the consensus Lisbon pushers, or those who only recently dropped their baseball bats. This is the same consensus group who now agree a rapid achievement of 3% deficit, the same consensus who agreed we should have no control over monetary policy or the exchange rate. (How in the name of God can our exports increase with a Euro now at almost $1.40 and 90 pence sterling!)

The E.U. with its lunatic one size fits all currency and interest rate is now handing us the proverbial economic cyanide pill as well as our 12.5% corporation tax rate. The same E.U. narco pushers are looking for our votes, FF, FG, Labour, and the Greens, reassuring us that their consensus is the only game in town. Sound familiar!

Dredger

The EU is pushing for tax harmonisation, that will leave Ireland on the fringe with its hands tied behind its back. There will no longer be any incentive for companies to come here or remain here.

Remember;

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The chickens of the Lisbon-elites are coming home to roost. Each revelation vindicates those of us who warned that Lisbon's passage would herald tax-harmonisation and open season on the 12.5% corporate-tax rate. If the guarantees were legally-binding he wouldn't have to ask the Eurocrats to keep their word. It's high time we rediscovered our national backbone in this country and realise that European integration is the source of - and not the solution to - our woes. The ECB foisted Franco-German interest rates on us which Brian Lenihan admits - together with cheap-labour from the Accession States - largely caused the housing-crash. Even Iceland is now in a better state than us. Their weak currency makes their exports cheaper, just as our 1992 devaluation did for us - arguably starting the Celtic Tiger.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Just to put some balance in the debate, I think there's a strong argument our corporate tax rate constitutes thievery from our European partners.

Of course, we didn't make up the rules, but we are certainly insisting that they don't change in this regard.

But the guarantees are, for the moment, legally binding.

What's changed is not Lisbon; it is that, as a result of the incompetence of a series of FF governments, our European partners who have more reason than us to be in favour of tax harmonisation now have a little more leverage over us than they had even a couple of years ago.

FT, could you please try to vary your vocabulary. There are lots of synonyms for the term "elite".

Here's a Thesaurus:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/elite