When will latest World dominance by 5% of World population end?

NYCKY

That is a mild explanation of what the US does in relation to aid. It is certainly viewed in Washington as a 'quid pro quo' opportunity, and the conditions that are attached are political.

This naive and childish 'white hat' versus 'black hat' view of the world is ridiculous. There is very little difference between Washington, Moscow and Beijing in that regard.

My point is that viewing Washington as somehow different or assuming they are the natural good guys in any global political situation is a very blinkered view.

Washington is no less totalitarian in its dealings with the rest of the world than Moscow or Beijing.

It's not remotely childish at all. In post #21 you specifically and explicitly called out the US for giving aid with strings attached. You got called out on that and now pontificate that Moscow and Beijing are no different, and rant that it's white hat versus black hat.

The OP and the whole premise of it was anti US, which you bought into. It's not remotely unreasonable for countries to give aid and request that it align with their own human rights/ethical goals.

Assuming the US are the natural good guys is very blinkered indeed, but assuming they are no different to China or Russia is equally blinkered.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Some people disagreed with my view. Anyone who thinks Washington is inherently any different to Beijing or Moscow is a bloody fool.

middleground

All aid comes with strings ...
It is not aid when it comes tied to changing behaviours, religion, giving something in return etc. This is typical Western values - we helped those savages by bringing them in from the jungle, giving them bibles, teaching them how to kneel, and they would be good God-fearing Christians now if they had not died from our diseases.

Same with KP, he cannot post without referring to Russia and China - our evil is not as bad as their evil!

Time for you lads to find decent human values.

belcoo666

Just protecting the security and economic interests of themselves and allies. Now check our exports and see just how important the US is to our little rock then bugger off and moan elsewhere.
Someone could have said the same thing about the Nazi regime .

Apple in Eden

Some people disagreed with my view. Anyone who thinks Washington is inherently any different to Beijing or Moscow is a bloody fool.
Not inherently different but different just the same. For example, the troublesome Squad in the US congress would be locked up by now in Beijing or dead in a car crash in Moscow. But point taken they all behave in more or less the same manner when advancing overseas interests.

middleground

Tennis US Open. Crowd boos injured Djokovic as he retires but at least they will get a chance to boo a Russian in the next match. Reminds me of the gladiator, slave, and lion fights in the Roman Coliseum when death enhanced the entertainment.

Defending champion Novak Djokovic is out of the US Open after quitting because of injury against Swiss 23rd seed Stan Wawrinka as defeat loomed in an electrifying fourth-round match.

Djokovic, 32, retired with a shoulder problem seconds after a double fault left him two sets and a break down.

Loud boos greeted the Serb's decision, with more heard as he walked off court.
"I'm sorry for the crowd. They came to see a full match but it wasn't to be," said world number one Djokovic.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Wawrinka had dominated the last-16 contest in a boisterous atmosphere at Arthur Ashe Stadium, producing a powerful display reminiscent of his best to lead 6-4 7-5 2-0, when Djokovic decided he could not continue.

Wawrinka, 34, will play Russian fifth seed Daniil Medvedev in the quarter-finals.

middleground

US offers millions of dollars and no one wants them! Another small sign of US losing influence and their assumption that everything is for sale being challenged.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49589075

The US state department has confirmed it offered millions of dollars to the captain of an Iranian oil tanker which is at the centre of a diplomatic row.

Brian Hook, head of the department's Iran Action Group, emailed the captain of the Adrian Darya 1 about sailing it somewhere the US could seize it.

According to the Financial Times, Mr Hook sent an email to the Indian captain of the Adrian Darya 1, Akhilesh Kumar, before it imposed sanctions on the ship.

"I am writing with good news," the email read. The Trump administration was willing to pay the captain several million dollars to take the ship somewhere it could be seized by US authorities.

The emails reportedly carried a state department phone number to make sure the captain - who took over the ship after it was impounded - did not think they were fake.

Financial Times covered rebuff also.

https://www.ft.com/content/20188064-cefb-11e9-99a4-b5ded7a7fe3f

Last edited:

Watcher2

I'd say it might help this discussion if we knew where we each stood as regards the "percentage" in which we each fit. The pomposity might change slightly.

middleground

I'd say it might help this discussion if we knew where we each stood as regards the "percentage" in which we each fit. The pomposity might change slightly.
The US represents less than 5% of the World's population
If by we you mean Ireland, we are in the 95% population segment - see opening Op. We are dominated by American multi-nationals but not so visibly bullied as other countries not able to rid themselves of American bases, bombs, and sanctions.

I cannot see American pomposity changing very quickly, their leaders have lost all understanding of what humility means in pursuit of greenbacks.

Ardillaun

If current trends continue, we could see 5 of the world’s population making the big decisions.

Watcher2

If by we you mean Ireland, we are in the 95% population segment - see opening Op. We are dominated by American multi-nationals but not so visibly bullied as other countries not able to rid themselves of American bases, bombs, and sanctions.

I cannot see American pomposity changing very quickly, their leaders have lost all understanding of what humility means in pursuit of greenbacks.
I was actually being a little more specific in we, us as individuals. These discussions tend to go with quite an air of pomposity and reverse snobbery against "the elite" all the while missing the point that on a global scale "we" tend to be within the small percentage of the wealthy.

So, when you say we are in the 95% population segment, that could, and is likely very close, to us being in the 6-10% wealth ownership range on a global scale. In other words, someone looks at us as being part of the elite. All depends on how far down the 95% pool one is I guess.

middleground

I was actually being a little more specific in we, us as individuals. These discussions tend to go with quite an air of pomposity and reverse snobbery against "the elite" all the while missing the point that on a global scale "we" tend to be within the small percentage of the wealthy.

So, when you say we are in the 95% population segment, that could, and is likely very close, to us being in the 6-10% wealth ownership range on a global scale. In other words, someone looks at us as being part of the elite. All depends on how far down the 95% pool one is I guess.
I don't think Irish people or Ireland tries to impose itself on other countries. I would much rather if the US focused on themselves, there is plenty of equality missing in America and they will never be a great nation if they don't look after their own citizens and show concern for others.

Jack Walsh

I don't think Irish people or Ireland tries to impose itself on other countries. I would much rather if the US focused on themselves, there is plenty of equality missing in America and they will never be a great nation if they don't look after their own citizens and show concern for others.
America is in a really bad place
The lack of empathy for anyone not well off is staggering, the odious and ever growing wealth gap worthy of a tin pot South American or African dictatorship, or worse still Saudi, and all met with indifference
"Hey buddy, we ain't no commies, if you want to get on in life, get off your lazy ass and do something"
Problem is, they are doing something, they are working far longer hours than Europeans for less money, they are miserable angry and feel worthless.
And then they invite a calamity on themselves to help cure their anger and despair.
Like someone wanting to kick dope and picking up a crack pipe

A country who its current leader barely let's a day pass without screaming it is the greatest in the world, it's workers "the greatest also"
ditto its army, police force, navy, coast guard, first responders etc

Bragging BS that is meaningless to the lowest paid 40%

Above all else, just look at one undeniable barometer, life expectancy, America's is dropping while every other major western economy has a rising life expectancy.
The supposedly wealthiest and most advanced country in human history at a time when scientific and medical advances are at an all time high, and yet its people are dying off at a younger age then their parents.

A country where a hedge fund manager can earn a hundred thousand times more than an average industrial worker (and he pays no tax on it) for essentially doing no more than robbing money out of pension funds, and crucially people stand back and applaud his brilliance and say he has earned it, is a country that has lost its soul.

Perhaps the only well developed western democracy where someone can openly scam and steal or create wealth through knavery and be looked up to

I am increasingly struck by how much Ireland is growing up while America, a country we have lagged in all meaningful benchmarks for most of my life, is regressing.
We are now ahead of America in education, health, life expectancy, wages and general quality of life and standard of living, and of course we also live in a vastly safer country.

Last edited:

middleground

Interesting article on life expectancy here. The cause is attributed to deaths of persons in their 20s and 30s from drugs etc. as you indicated. I agree that it is a very good indicator because it is based on all deaths so without risk of distortion from bias etc.

North America has traditionally had a higher life expectancy than other regions of the World so they are declining from a high point.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/us-life-expectancy-drops-third-year-row-reflecting-rising-drug-overdose-suicide-rates-180970942/

Jack Walsh

Interesting article on life expectancy here. The cause is attributed to deaths of persons in their 20s and 30s from drugs etc. as you indicated. I agree that it is a very good indicator because it is based on all deaths so without risk of distortion from bias etc.

North America has traditionally had a higher life expectancy than other regions of the World so they are declining from a high point.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/us-life-expectancy-drops-third-year-row-reflecting-rising-drug-overdose-suicide-rates-180970942/
It is the ultimate barometer to banish BS
You cannot make ridiculous claims about being the greatest country in the world and the best at almost everything as Trump and his supporters constantly do and have a declining life expectancy rate in 2019

It simply screams there is something badly wrong, a hideous imbalance

It should repulse Americans, as such a stat not only shows conclusively that it doesn't care about large swathes of its citizens, it sh*ts on them relentlessly

No doubt some yo yo will soon be along to tell us that if you strip out homicides, drugs and suicides, American life expectancy would be on a par with the very best.
Staggeringly oblivious to the fact that these causes of death are the very symptom of a country that sh*ts on its most vulnerable and less well off.

When are Americans going to stop the BS and brainwashing?
When their life expectancy levels dip below Haiti?
The healthiest and happiest and longest living countries prize education and health above all else, and that a buck doesn't have to be made out of everything, especially these two.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies