When will the powderkeg of anger blow??

caractacus

I hope I am not alone in feeling that there is a huge head of anger building up in the country?? Is it just a matter of time before a spark emerges which will cause the powder keg to blow? Could it be the budget? or could it be somthing quite minor as a heavy handed response to the Anglo Avenger cement lorry protester? Thius blog posting seems to pinpoint where a lot of the anger is coming from ...
"AN UNREPENTANT COMMUNIST....."

libertarian-right

AN UNREPENTANT COMMUNIST....."
Cael?

In all seriousness, it will be the budget that will make sparks fly..could people connect the two, your services are being cut BECAUSE of the deficit/bank bailout, your taxes are rising BECAUSE..etc etc

joenitka

When the IMF comes in, but by then it will be too late.
I would be amazed if we see Greece type anger in Ireland.. I don't think we have it in us anymore as a nation. I think we are Bar Stool protesters.. Maybe if they change the price of the Pint we would see mass protest\riots.. That sort of says something about us :shock:

danger here

Maybe if they change the price of the Pint we would see mass protest\riots.. That sort of says something about us :shock:
That's it exactly.Imagine what would happen if pubs were not allowed to show Sky Sports any more,riots!

loaded32

I would be amazed if we see Greece type anger in Ireland.. I don't think we have it in us anymore as a nation. I think we are Bar Stool protesters.. Maybe if they change the price of the Pint we would see mass protest\riots.. That sort of says something about us :shock:
+1 to that....I am really sorry to say!!! We should be ashamed of our passiveness in all this!!!Me included and Ive attended protests, called up Govt departments, TD's, Senators even

joenitka

+1 to that....I am really sorry to say!!! We should be ashamed of our passiveness in all this!!!Me included and Ive attended protests, called up Govt departments, TD's, Senators even
Its more the ignorance that sickens me... I talk to people here at work (I do not work in Finance but they do Finance) and they say things like "REALLY you think that may happen" or "Ahh I am sick of hearing about it when I hear or see anything about it I switch over"...

roc_

It will not happen until there is real 'herd' movement. The Irish people in general are conditioned to never stick their heads above the parapet, stick their necks out... take a stand on something or say something different to the rest of the herd... but once the herd starts moving they will all pile in and go along behind and it will be a terrible thing.

Yeah, I'd agree with the above. Not thrilled about it, but I reckon that's where we're at as a nation these days.

Ultor

Never. We get the government we deserve and nothing will change our lazy attitude towards politics. I was told by a good friend today when asked what his opinion is re the next GE ... "sure who else is there, what is the alternative?"

That says it all to me.

adrem

what have you asked them to do??

not pay the anglo depositors and senior debt holders??

not narrow the deficit??

not prevent the collapse of the banking system??

Seriously - what is it you think should be done differently? We CAN'T welch on senior debt. Even if we did it would have feck all impact and wouldn't do anything to the annual deficit we are running.

Do you want cuts in SW?? Do you want cuts in the Public Sector spending?? Do you want increased taxation?? Are these the things you are ringing looking for??

No matter who is in power we will still need to capitalise the banks, still need to protect deposits and still need to balance the budget (and borrow the difference in the meantime AND roll over the existing debt pile).

Down with the bad stuff !! Only good stuff for us !! - doesn't really work like that does it.

I have to confess that I've done nothing other than have heated bar conversations, and, occasionally, if I'm feeling especially riled up, shake my head ruefully and exhale loudly. I suppose I just don't believe that there's anything I can do. The system will do what the system will do, and our job as the electorate, so it seems, is to pay for it...

Future

What did the protests in Greece achieve aside from a massive clean up bill for the state?

sport02

What did the protests in Greece achieve aside from a massive clean up bill for the state?
Didn't the people in their tens of thousands marching on the parliament of Iceland cause a general election, or am I wrong about that.

politicaldonations

Irish people are too passive. Too much drinking in their life keeps them at a low mood and lacking motivation most time. Cocaine was used during the boom to counter this lethary but no money for that now.

hammer

I for one will be ensuring my children get the best possible education with grinds etc. to ensure they are fluent in German / Spanish.

Then we`re out of here :)

What a ces pit

nicht besonders

It pays to riot in Europe – Telegraph Blogs

Ireland must now pay more than Greece to borrow.
Dublin has played by the book. It has taken pre-emptive steps to please the markets and the EU. It has done an IMF job without the IMF. Indeed, is has gone further than the IMF would have dared to go.
It has imposed draconian austerity measures. The solidarity of the country has been remarkable. There have no riots, and no terrorist threats.
Yet as of today it is paying 5.48pc to borrow for ten years, or near 8pc in real terms once deflation is factored in. This is crippling and puts the country on an unsustainable debt trajectory if it lasts for long.
Yet Greece is able to borrow from the EU at 5pc and from the IMF at a staggered rate far below that (still too high for the policy to work, but that is another matter). These were the terms of the €110bn joint bail-out.

Future

Didn't the people in their tens of thousands marching on the parliament of Iceland cause a general election, or am I wrong about that.
That's correct but wasn't there a mass protest last year organised by unions in Ireland and that didn't cause a general election.

For a generel election to occur we need the spineless Independent TDs supporting the government to vote against them.

Ethan Edwards

I hope I am not alone in feeling that there is a huge head of anger building up in the country?? Is it just a matter of time before a spark emerges which will cause the powder keg to blow? Could it be the budget? or could it be somthing quite minor as a heavy handed response to the Anglo Avenger cement lorry protester? Thius blog posting seems to pinpoint where a lot of the anger is coming from ...
"AN UNREPENTANT COMMUNIST....."
There is a huge amount of anger in the country but it is going nowhere apart from a couple of isolated cases, the petrol bomb thrown at the DOF, the cherry picker placed in front of Anglo, the ramming of the gates by the cement mixer by the guy who I think is also responsible for the cherry picker. There is no leader either in the opposition, the Unions or the media who or will harness this anger and use it to cause a change of Govt or even a policy peacefully of course. Because all their noses are in the trough as well. We also as a people are lazy and not ones to cause trouble, we just accept it and give out to Joe Duffy & think ourselves hero's to the cause. We have also for the last 2 years been played like a fiddle by this Govt into blaming each other for the mess we are in "its the Public Service the B*****ds" but no "its those leaving our shores for a better life aboard rats leaving a sunken that’s what they are" yet again "its the greedy private sector hiding their profits not paying their fair share and big wages buying holiday homes and lots of property to rent to the HSE"or if you don't like them you can have my personal favourite "We are all to blame we all got to greedy during the boom and now we have to pay"

The only sign of anger came from the wrinklies and any of us under 50 this is to our shame, but as long as we stay splintered and blame each other not the real culprits they will carry on & laugh why shouldn’t they. Oh! there is another trait I find my fellow Irish have and that is when a politician does come around we all slap them on the back get our photo's with them and when they leave start giving out to each other and saying you lick ar*e.

So in answer to your question the simple and saddening answer is NO there will be no spark that will set the Irish off.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies