Where are all the FF Avatars Gone ?

Bill D Gallows

Maybe its just me, but has anyone else noticed the lack of FF avatars over the last couple of weeks ?

Some of the comments defending FF seem to be coming from 'Independent' avatars.

Mind you, there's not a lot of FG avatars either.

Are people becoming embarrassed to openly say they support FF ?

Panopticon

Eh... there's a few reasons for it and it hasn't just been for the last couple of weeks. It's been that way since the last GE.

For one thing, FF head office takes a very dim view of its people using this site.
For another thing, people who defend FF take a mauling in the form of very personal attacks from the more lunatic fringe, who ironically are probably former FF voters themselves, so they don't stay around to engage with more reasonable opponents of the government.
Finally, lots of people who defend individual actions or policies of the government aren't actually FF members or even supporters, and so have no reason to wear their colours.

SideysGhost

It's been going on for 6 months or more round these parts. "I've never voted FF BUT...[insert fawning apologia for Cowen and Lenihan here]"

You can spot them easy enough, they're pretty obvious. Using the bullet points of the day issued from HQ in every single post is a bit of a giveaway ;)

Munion

Nope, still here. I've upgraded the brass neck to an adamantium one though....

Goodbody

Their computers are encrypted and they've, um, forgotten the passwords.

flavirostris

A lot of people who were pro-FF in the past are probably posting as unbiased neutrals at the moment.

I can think of one or two who would have been roaring FF up to the end of 2008 but are more muted since.

smitchy2

It is true that being a member of FF was a symbol of pride but that has very much changed.
Their supporters have diminished with their polling numbers.
And as some had said, their core vote now remains as farmers and OAP's.

I do agree they take a hell of bashing when they come on here. This is deserved when they are spewing a party line rather than arguing logically.

Insole

Met an unrepentant double FFer over the weekend. The fact that we had a mutual friend and she was female prevented me being uncivil. But she was spouting the same comical ali guff you read here from FF avatar wearers. The 11% is a real statistic I'm afraid. Hard to credit that there are that many genuinely stupid people around.

realistic1

Maybe its just me, but has anyone else noticed the lack of FF avatars over the last couple of weeks ?

Some of the comments defending FF seem to be coming from 'Independent' avatars.

Mind you, there's not a lot of FG avatars either.

I think they are now Labour avatars. It is now fashionable to talk about how good Labour policy is and how bad Fianna fail is. The Rats are jumping from the FFship to the Labour ship.

Munion

In fairness, I would exclude you from the normal FF hacks as you show an ability to criticism them. I would still wish that someone of your caliber would reconsider your support for them.
I figure that after the next election there'll be a clearout of the current FF leadership and a significant period of soul searching during which opportunities will arise for younger members. Hopefully our membership of the ELDR will influence the party towards the mainstream of European liberalism.

I'm not posh enough for FG nor naive enough for Labour!

Pauli

I figure that after the next election there'll be a clearout of the current FF leadership and a significant period of soul searching during which opportunities will arise for younger members. Hopefully our membership of the ELDR will influence the party towards the mainstream of European liberalism.

Munion, in order for genuine reform to occur in the party you support, a clearout of the current leadership is, in my opinion, insufficient for lasting change to occur. the soul-searching you speak of needs to tackle a mindset which accepts intolerable corruption as "business as usual" and a thorough, honest examination of the chronic cute-hoorism which led to the economic Chernoybl the country is now experiencing. If that doesn't happen, Fianna Fail will have earned their extinction.

jmcc

FF needs a cull of the parasites if it is to survive.

You could always join the Greens. No, wait... :)

Regards...jmcc

borntorum

The original aims of FF were very noble. Its founders were great patriots. Ireland needs a European style centrist liberal party.

However, I fear that the current FF party has been too corrupted by power and pragmatism-at-all-costs to be able to rediscover its original noble calling. I hope I'm wrong, as I still have some affection for elements within the party. But a long spell in opposition is the absolute minimum the party needs for there to be a chance of genuine renewal

adrem

It is true that being a member of FF was a symbol of pride but that has very much changed.
Their supporters have diminished with their polling numbers.
And as some had said, their core vote now remains as farmers and OAP's.

I do agree they take a hell of bashing when they come on here. This is deserved when they are spewing a party line rather than arguing logically.

There generally tends not to be much differentiation on the part of the bashers though. I've never had any avatar - liked the movie though !!

Limestone

I'm pretty new to this site and can't comment on the former presence of FFers but I am aware that a number of formerly proud FFers now eek their living, or a good portion of it from the state coffers. Remember the type who used to sneer at the "pontificating tone" adopted by those who thought that the Bert should go.

Now that the prevailing wind has changed direction, some of these formerly proud party members will switch allegiance so as to protect what they hold. Smoke them out I say!

Tea Party Patriot

I'm a member of FF but I don't use a party badge as I am critical of the government because of its indecision and lack of leadership during this crisis. Most of the views I express my own personal ones, I have never followed the party line in any case, hence I don't use the badge. Anyway I am probably about one of 10 people on the libertarian wing of FF which would make me part of the smallest minority in Ireland :)

New Threads

Most Replies