Where are the bards poets and song writers gone

An Gilladaker

In our past we always had Bards Poets and Songwriters who put into poem and song what was happening. During this recession i have not heard any such poem or song dealing with the recession. Has anyone else

iartaoiseach

Louis Walsh has a lot to answer for. since he formed those accursed boy/girl bands all decent musicians have suffered. thankfully it seems the fickle teenagers are growing up and moving on. my faith in the youth is being restored after watching the summer festivals on the box.

sauntersplash

In our past we always had Bards Poets and Songwriters who put into poem and song what was happening. During this recession i have not heard any such poem or song dealing with the recession. Has anyone else
I would imagine you're not looking very hard.

seanmacc

We haven't been broke 12 months yet. It won't be long before we start seeing and hearing the new recession arts.

sauntersplash

We haven't been broke 12 months yet. It won't be long before we start seeing and hearing the new recession arts.
For real artists there is no "...Tiger" times. The soul doesn't recognise such superficialities.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Louis Walsh has a lot to answer for. since he formed those accursed boy/girl bands all decent musicians have suffered. thankfully it seems the fickle teenagers are growing up and moving on. my faith in the youth is being restored after watching the summer festivals on the box.
Decent muscians like who? Johonny Logan, Dicky Rock, Twink, Linda Martin? We have always had more then our fair share of sh*te music and musicians, Lou Walsh just managed to make real money out of it by selling it abroad. ;)

iartaoiseach

Decent muscians like who? Johonny Logan, Dicky Rock, Twink, Linda Martin? We have always had more then our fair share of sh*te music and musicians, Lou Walsh just managed to make real money out of it by selling it abroad. ;)
U2 (not a fan but they at least can write a song/play their instruments) Aslan were decent, Rory Gallagher, the chieftans, thin lizzie(see U2 for comment) emotional fish, geldof could write a decent song, now we have bell X1, lisa hannigan, sharon shannon, damien rice, the corrs(again they at least write their own stuff). I'm sure there are others that could have made it if feckin westlife hadn't hogged the airwaves for 5 years.

D

Deleted member 17573

It´s the moving statues I´m waiting for - when they start to dance then we will know we are in deep trouble. Best economic indicator of all !!:rolleyes:

Stakhanov

When was the last time you picked up a copy of Irelands Own?

truthisfree

I think there is a reason for this, the Celtic tiger ignore all but a half dozen Artists, we ended up with 50% of the artists living beneath the poverty line.

Just before the emergence of the Celtic tiger, a new "breed" of artist emerged in Irish society, the "Corporate Artist" This new breed were well taught and very capable of dealing with the by now highly bureaucratic system that had evolved around the Arts and the whole grant system.

Up until this point the Arts were largely classless but now a new class emerged from mainly the upper middle class, who were by and large very nice people, well mannered, well dressed, and polite, the type of person you could bring home to your mother.

But they could not produce Art if their lives depended on it, instead they produced what they called art when in fact it was a load of complete bo**ix. but their parents and everyone else went along with this charade and not much chance of anyone involved who was earning money out of it to really care.

The "real" artists ran for the hills in disgust at what this country was turning into artistically, politically and morally. There is no room in a society like this for creative people, in fact creative people are highly suspect, dodgy indviduals, why they have the cheek to think for themselves, No, none of that in the new modern shiny armani suited, gucci bagged ireland of a thousand welcomes.or was it a million...or a millard?

In order for Art to flourish in a country it takes a certain climate for it to do so, that climate existed in the 80's a feeling that although we were poor we were intilligent and creative. And we believed that the passage through time, through the Famine, colonisation, that al we needed was a chance to show the world that we were as good as anyone else out there.

And the new shiny people who were the purring celtic tiger cubs and cubesses, preened themselves and congratulated themselves on what a great nation they had created, and on how......never mind cultured, how they were just Soooo Cool...........

And the last remaining artists cringed and felt a shiver down their spine, and ran even farther into the hills to hide from this monstrosity that had emerged furry and cuddly and although soooo sucessful, and clever really modest, why just a plain person who likes a pint of bass and a good game of football like everyone else in the country.

Art comes from the emotions, and when the main emotion is one of disgust, embaressment and disappointment, There is not a whole lot of reason to put those emotions into song, or canvas, or plays, it is already being played out on TV, in the Dail, in the pubs and streets of every town and city. And even if one did, do you really think that any of it would be taken seriously?

The art that is playing out now is Orwellian, the world is a stage.......

Now I will return to my cave and continue hiding from this monstrosity as when the tigers sh*t really hits the fan, the anger and disappointment will strike out at anybody nearby, and I am well used to living with those emotions, but there is a new generation who have no experience of these emotions and I do not want to watch.

"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, It's with O'leary in the grave"

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I have seen better days,
Far worse moments of dispair.
But nothing has hit me,
Like the threat of no care.
Should I die in the morning,
As the sun rises gold,
I'll regret not the passing,
From this whinging fold.

Carve my name in a river,
Let it ripple away,
Over stone and green moss,
To the Ocean at play.

quackquack

If you pay no tax, why would you want to complain about a system that gives you a free ride.
No point rocking the boat like.
They might change the law so that you are forced to pay your way.

An Gilladaker

If you pay no tax, why would you want to complain about a system that gives you a free ride.
No point rocking the boat like.
They might change the law so that you are forced to pay your way.
Ducks dont pay tax they get roasted :lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies