Where are we on bonfires?

McTell

Twitter
No
Suppose I have 10 dry sticks from a tree. If I burn them outside, it's a bonfire and illegal. If I bring them in the house and burn them in my fireplace, that's OK.

Same sticks, same CO2.

If I turned them into pellets and put them in a bag, I could sell them to others to burn.

At the end of this year, any sort of ag waste, like straw or hedge cuttings, can't be burned at all. But the state can burn peat in power stations.

S.I. No. 538/2015 - Waste Management (Prohibition of Waste Disposal by Burning) (Amendment) Regulations 2015.

This won't bother me, but the neighbours are wondering what's next?

What is next? No cows or tractors?

Accidental sock

I'm torn.

I grew up in North Dublin, where the Halloween bonfire on the local roundabout was a heady blend of anti-social behaviour, excessive drinking, legitimate risk to persons property ... plus the obvious environmental impact was bad (not only the CO2 stuff, but the fact that it's remnants looked ************************ty for weeks after)

On the other hand...

I've a load of old decking I need to get rid of.

Levellers

Have you got tricolours or SF election posters on your bonfire. Idf so it's OK.

MsDaisyC

Where am I on bonfires?

A safe distance where I won't get my eyebrows singed.

dizillusioned

Have to ask a question, visited a cousin who lives in the country. She was adamant that there are choppers flying around to see if people are burning in their gardens?? Is that true???

Personally, I have a couple of acres of trees and grassland here. When a storm hits I loose a few trees each time. I cut them up, burn them in the fireplace the following year once they have dried out properly. I burn the leaves (which I have to do as there is simply a mountain of them on the property). Grass is mulched back into the ground. Fallen tree limbs are added to the pile and burnt once a year with the leaves, I have to notify the local security office to make sure that there is no "burn notice" in effect.

If I couldn't do this, it would simply make life impossible here to maintain the property and keep it tidy. There are no civic dumping grounds.

blokesbloke

Have to ask a question, visited a cousin who lives in the country. She was adamant that there are choppers flying around to see if people are burning in their gardens?? Is that true???

Personally, I have a couple of acres of trees and grassland here. When a storm hits I loose a few trees each time. I cut them up, burn them in the fireplace the following year once they have dried out properly. I burn the leaves (which I have to do as there is simply a mountain of them on the property). Grass is mulched back into the ground. Fallen tree limbs are added to the pile and burnt once a year with the leaves, I have to notify the local security office to make sure that there is no "burn notice" in effect.

If I couldn't do this, it would simply make life impossible here to maintain the property and keep it tidy. There are no civic dumping grounds.
Are you single, dear?

Accidental sock

It's parkland... Dear!....
You can call it whatever you like :)

"Behold my cardboard-box shaped fortress, christened Shangrila....and to the West, over there near my shopping cart named Titan, my glorious collection of empty bottles...oh, the liquid the must have contained"

dizillusioned

You can call it whatever you like :)

"Behold my cardboard-box shaped fortress, christened Shangrila....and to the West, over there near my shopping cart named Titan, my glorious collection of empty bottles...oh, the liquid the must have contained"
Jaysus, you have a furtive imagination. (not to mention a nice bottle collection)...;)

McTell

Twitter
No
Have to ask a question, visited a cousin who lives in the country. She was adamant that there are choppers flying around to see if people are burning in their gardens?? Is that true???//.

I think they look at satellite pics every now and again. Answer is burn during cloudy weather and over a weekend. We're all against tyre / plastic fires.

It just seemed odd that I can't burn 5 sticks outside, but I can burn them a few feet away inside the house. So often an unworkable law is passed and then everyone breaks it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies