Where do you begin - the IT article that summaries establishment Ireland

Disillusioned democrat

Before I start I should say I'm a BIG supporter of us getting the RWC in 2023, but this article is the ultimate face palm moment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/emergency-law-needed-after-whelan-changed-mind-on-rugby-world-cup-1.3144676#

Marie Whelan - the best possible candidate for the CoA judge vacancy blundered again - misleading the government and leading them down the wrong track on a €320m liability...great.

Then, to save its own blushes, our government are able to turn legislation around in a matter of hours, despite a huge backlog of important legislation due to the, ahem, unusual circumstances in the Dail.

We are a nation of incredibly smart and hard working citizens led by Muppets.

Betson

Whelan was an absolute disaster as AG , just as well she was promoted out of the position , the usual way we deal with incompetence in this country.

Disillusioned democrat

Whelan was an absolute disaster as AG , just as well she was promoted out of the position , the usual way we deal with incompetence in this country.
Only in the public sector and even then only when there's been loads of contact with government ministers...

Ramon Mercadar

Whelan is a clown but Ryan is just trying to get publicity.

themorrigan

Before I start I should say I'm a BIG supporter of us getting the RWC
I am 100% opposed to public time and money being wasted on political prestige projects like this. Ireland isn't big enough to host such an event full stop. Not enough stadia, absolutely not enough accommodation or public transport, and the hasty raiding of the public coffers to throw up meager fig leafs to such requirements will lead directly to embezzlement, bribes, incompetence, corruption, and especially the upturning and undoing of even halfway sane public development plans, which will all be undone to make way for the immediate concerns of satisfying rugby fans on a one time 4 week schedule. To say nothing of the opportunity cost of wasting so much money on such an indulgence, in a county with so many chronic infrastructural problems and more per capita debt than we can already handle.

Ireland should not host the RWC or any major world sporting event and it is irresponsible for anyone to suggest we should.

Mushroom

Like the OP, I'd like to see RWC 2023 staged in Ireland. But I'm puzzled by one thing in the Irish Times report:-

"As part of its support for the IRFU’s bid to host the 2023 World Cup, the Government has committed to underwriting the costs of staging the tournament, estimated at €200 million, and the tournament fee required by World Rugby, which amounts to €138 million."

My question is this: I understood that the Tournament would be run on an All-Ireland basis, so some games would be played both in Ravenhill - now called the Kingspan Stadium (God save the King!) or possibly in Windsor Park (God save the Queen) or maybe even in that stadium in Belfast called after Roger "the pervert" Casement.

That being the case, why haven't the crowd of parasitic wasters, currently drawing down their big fat salaries for shouting "not an inch" at each other up in Hillsborough - been asked to underwrite part of the costs?

Disillusioned democrat

Like the OP, I'd like to see RWC 2023 staged in Ireland. But I'm puzzled by one thing in the Irish Times report:-

"As part of its support for the IRFU’s bid to host the 2023 World Cup, the Government has committed to underwriting the costs of staging the tournament, estimated at €200 million, and the tournament fee required by World Rugby, which amounts to €138 million."

My question is this: I understood that the Tournament would be run on an All-Ireland basis, so some games would be played both in Ravenhill - now called the Kingspan Stadium (God save the King!) or possibly in Windsor Park (God save the Queen) or maybe even in that stadium in Belfast called after Roger "the pervert" Casement.

That being the case, why haven't the crowd of parasitic wasters, currently drawing down their big fat salaries for shouting "not an inch" at each other up in Hillsborough - been asked to underwrite part of the costs?
God knows the DUP are good for it.

Betson

Would also like to see us host the event , but I believe there will have to be some tax payer exposure to the cost and Ross is incorrect when he says the taxpayer money will be recouped in full as the event is expected to make a profit for the state , these types of events never make a direct profit as always promised.

Any money recouped will be indirectly through exposure for tourism etc. But I still think we should go ahead and bid for it , it would be good craic to have it here.

themorrigan

Emergency legislation to empower the Government to underwrite the €320-€340 million costs of the Rugby World Cup was necessary after the former attorney general Máire Whelan changed her mind about the legal requirements.

Minister for Sport Shane Ross last night assured the Dáil that the tournament was expected to be profitable and no ultimate exposure to the taxpayer would arise.
Why should the government underwrite the costs of a private sporting event, making private profits for the companies involved. I foresee creative accounting leaving the government on the hook.

To be blunt about it, there are many very wealthy private rugby supporters in this country. Collectively, if they "really", "REALLY" wanted to see a RWC in this country, it is probably just within their means to collectively underwrite something on this scale. So again, I don't think the public exchequer should pick up this tab or waste public time and effort on private (professional) sporting events.

PeaceGoalie

It is ridiculous that FIFA and the dwarf rugby brothers rip off morons like this. I do NOT wasnt that or similar tournaments here as I am not involved in the tourist industry and I don't sell beer, smack or flat TV screens.

Mushroom

Why should the government underwrite the costs of a private sporting event, making private profits for the companies involved. I foresee creative accounting leaving the government on the hook.

To be blunt about it, there are many very wealthy private rugby supporters in this country. Collectively, if they "really", "REALLY" wanted to see a RWC in this country, it is probably just within their means to collectively underwrite something on this scale. So again, I don't think the public exchequer should pick up this tab or waste public time and effort on private (professional) sporting events.
Exactly. So why not leave it to the Nordies to underwrite?

After all, Arlene has unrestricted access to billions of Bank of England funding - and her actions in the RHI scheme shows that she's a lady who is very comfortable playing beggar my neighbour with hundreds of millions of UK taxpayers' funds.

Betson

I don't think the public exchequer should pick up this tab or waste public time and effort on private (professional) sporting events.
Any bid that does not have full state support including funds would not even be considered by the selection committee , it is the way all these things work.

Congalltee

I had a huge inferiority complex about the Irish establishment until Trump and Brexit, when I realised they all make it up as they go along, in their own interests. I miss my blissfully naive days.

Mushroom

It is ridiculous that FIFA and the dwarf rugby brothers rip off morons like this. I do NOT wasnt that or similar tournaments here as I am not involved in the tourist industry and I don't sell beer, smack or flat TV screens.
You really need to think outside the box. For example: if you dress up in your finest drag and loiter around outside stadia and sports pubs after RWC games then you are likely to benefit from a succession of highly lucrative, RWC-linked, liaisons. And, best of all, you won't even need to tell the taxman!

General Urko

I am 100% opposed to public time and money being wasted on political prestige projects like this. Ireland isn't big enough to host such an event full stop. Not enough stadia, absolutely not enough accommodation or public transport, and the hasty raiding of the public coffers to throw up meager fig leafs to such requirements will lead directly to embezzlement, bribes, incompetence, corruption, and especially the upturning and undoing of even halfway sane public development plans, which will all be undone to make way for the immediate concerns of satisfying rugby fans on a one time 4 week schedule. To say nothing of the opportunity cost of wasting so much money on such an indulgence, in a county with so many chronic infrastructural problems and more per capita debt than we can already handle.

Ireland should not host the RWC or any major world sporting event and it is irresponsible for anyone to suggest we should.
Ireland is as big as New Zealand for this project!

mr_anderson

I don't watch or follow rugby, but the benefits outweigh any potential event losses.
It's sustained global coverage.
Phenomenal tourist opportunity.
Grab it while we can.

General Urko

I have a gut feeling, we will get RWC 2023, but we will have a shyte rugby team by then, for a start, we won't have any of them their foreigners!

You have to make allowances for The IT, as a lot of Prods down south are inbred, the same as we sometimes have to make allowances for our much beloved indigenous ethnic minority!:rolleyes:

Disillusioned democrat

In "theory" the RWC should be a huge boost to the overall economy - most countries that hosted it previously have done well from it.

I share your concern that, basically, none of these countries had gombeen crony capitalist governments that will try to make sure that all the money coming in to the country gets "washed" through the connectocracy's hands before a trickle makes its way into the public coffers.

Done right it could be a huge opportunity, done wrong and it could be yet another millstone tied around our necks by the government.

Disillusioned democrat

Would also like to see us host the event , but I believe there will have to be some tax payer exposure to the cost and Ross is incorrect when he says the taxpayer money will be recouped in full as the event is expected to make a profit for the state , these types of events never make a direct profit as always promised.

Any money recouped will be indirectly through exposure for tourism etc. But I still think we should go ahead and bid for it , it would be good craic to have it here.
If we do get the RWC the VAT rate should be increased significantly for the duration of the event to make sure we DO get the money back. I'd share the concern that the lion's share of this will go into the same industries the government has already bailed out by reducing VAT - if we're underwriting attracting 500k wealthy visitors to Ireland it's logical to assume they won't be too fussed by a little increase in VAT.

former wesleyan

I have a gut feeling, we will get RWC 2023, but we will have a shyte rugby team by then, for a start, we won't have any of them their foreigners!

You have to make allowances for The IT, as a lot of Prods down south are inbred, the same as we sometimes have to make allowances for our much beloved indigenous ethnic minority!:rolleyes:
Covered nearly all the prejudices there. Good man.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies