Where does my tax go?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39930
  • Start date

Disillusioned democrat

We're not spending a fraction of what we should on health.

Our taxes are still going to bankers and elites as a pat on the back for their failures. FF and FG are at fault, as are the Labour and Green subs benches.
We're spending more than most per capita on health (next after Germany, Norway, Luxembourg, Switzerland and of course the US at #1) but have among the worst outcomes as measured by access, life expectancy and survival rates).

Part of the problem is the amount of money being wasted keeping mickey mouse centers and clinics open and supporting a network of 1800 pharmacies in contract to Denmark's 240 for the same population.

The healthcare sector here is big business - family business at that - paying top dollar for mediocre services.

farnaby

Debt Servicing/EU Payments €10.78bn
Interesting consolidation there, linking the EU budget (much of which we get back via redistribution, programme expenditure etc.) with paying off debt for past sins. Variation on the "it's coz of the EU" mantra of domestic politicians having to make unpalatable decisions.

farnaby

You can get into some of the nitty gritty from those charts via the website, by clicking on each bar. The level of detail varies, but you can see the education on above.
Away with your detail, most of us just want a pie chart showing 20% of expenditure is on front line services, 80% on lavish salaries & expenses for the elite, profligate waste, Travellers & immigrants and Denis O'Brien. Stump up or this thread dies in <10 pages!

farnaby

Facetiousness aside, great thread and this stuff should be the basis of any discussion of public expenditure on this site.

brughahaha

Ask and you shall receive.

Way to miss the point ....Its not WHAT we spend ...but the outcomes we get for all that money ...which are invariably sh!te

EG 15.3 Billion on Health ...yet my childs stay inTemple street just cost me €400 , i pay a further €500 a month in Health Insurance and am charged via my Insurance for a public bed in a public hospital ........ I also visited a sick (now deceased) relative in Beaumont .....City centre level parking charges every time ...Ditto Dublin Airport (which brilliantly has parking spaces you cant physically get out of :roll:)
So we pay top whack taxes , to whack indirect taxes ...and EVERYTHING we get for it is pure sh!te

All to fund an obnoxious PS and Quango Pay and Pensions gravy train that obsesses about its pay and conditions and rarely considers its service output

Factchecker

Factchecker

We're spending more than most per capita on health (next after Germany, Norway, Luxembourg, Switzerland and of course the US at #1) but have among the worst outcomes as measured by access, life expectancy and survival rates).

Part of the problem is the amount of money being wasted keeping mickey mouse centers and clinics open and supporting a network of 1800 pharmacies in contract to Denmark's 240 for the same population.

The healthcare sector here is big business - family business at that - paying top dollar for mediocre services.
HIGH PAYROLL and INEFFICIENCIES, that is Ireland's Health problem. Will not change, because if one would, one would touch worker's artificial high payments and overly attractive work conditions.

By the way, HSE Dun Laoghaire was closed yesterday, note on door said because of the weather.... There you have it in a nutshell.

D

Deleted member 39930

Interesting consolidation there, linking the EU budget (much of which we get back via redistribution, programme expenditure etc.) with paying off debt for past sins. Variation on the "it's coz of the EU" mantra of domestic politicians having to make unpalatable decisions.
i think the consolidation makes sense when viewed as money not spent directly by the Government and/or as payments.

D

Deleted member 39930

Way to miss the point ....Its not WHAT we spend ...but the outcomes we get for all that money ...which are invariably sh!te

EG 15.3 Billion on Health ...yet my childs stay inTemple street just cost me €400 , i pay a further €500 a month in Health Insurance and am charged via my Insurance for a public bed in a public hospital ........ I also visited a sick (now deceased) relative in Beaumont .....City centre level parking charges every time ...Ditto Dublin Airport (which brilliantly has parking spaces you cant physically get out of :roll:)
So we pay top whack taxes , to whack indirect taxes ...and EVERYTHING we get for it is pure sh!te

All to fund an obnoxious PS and Quango Pay and Pensions gravy train that obsesses about its pay and conditions and rarely considers its service output
This is what we spend. And is the basis of a discussion about whether we spend enough in the right area, get value for money, are inefficient etc. The floor is yours.

Erudite Caveman

One of the common themes running through P.ie is the "I don't want my hard earned tax spent on dole spongers/immigrants/foreign aid/spin doctoring/legal fees for fat cat lawyers* (delete as appropriate)" trope.

We've had enough of experts with their graphs.

No more free prams for gays and FG's Vulture Capitalist mates!

stopdoingstuff

One of the common themes running through P.ie is the "I don't want my hard earned tax spent on dole spongers/immigrants/foreign aid/spin doctoring/legal fees for fat cat lawyers* (delete as appropriate)" trope. The government publishes it's headline expenditure figures each year, and these are available on the website https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

For example this year (2018): the total govt expenditure of €72.5bn is broken down as follows:

Social Welfare: €20bn
Health: €15.33bn
Education: €10.09bn
Justice: €2.58bn
Agriculture €1.53bn
Debt Servicing/EU Payments €10.78bn
Transport: €2bn
Other: €10.2bn

On the whole we can see that SW, Education, Health and Debt Payments account for 77.5% of total government expenditure.

The social protection breakdown makes for interesting reading:

Only 21% of the €20bn budget goes on income support, whilst almost double that - 38.7% goes on pensions.

Damn aged spongers, eh?

The health budget is somewhat unsurprising, with the HSE sucking up fully 2/3 of the money.

What is striking here is lack of capital investment. Make do and mend seems to be the order of the day.

A Similar Story again in education:

No significant capital expenditure.

On Debt Servicing, we spend €6.29bn - almost two thirds as much as we spend on the HSE.

P.iesters, your thoughts on the spread of money? Are we spending too much on health, not enough on justice ect? Are we wasting money in particular areas?

You can also drill down into the figures by clicking on each bar in the graphs on the website. Well worth a perusal.
You just made all of that up.

Factchecker

Lol. More evidence of the government cooking the books and hiding stuff behind radiators...
:)

I like your OP and will take some more time studying it. Like someone said, analysis like this (and more granular) should be essential part all budget decisions. Why are we spending more than Denmark on X, why more than Finland on Y.

Is it ethically correct to pay

- administrators with low output 100k, 80% DB pension, 150% tax free lump sum etc for these people.
- have guards retire at 50...
- have teachers off for 4.5 months a year

and so forth.

Not with my tax money please.

brughahaha

This is what we spend. And is the basis of a discussion about whether we spend enough in the right area, get value for money, are inefficient etc. The floor is yours.
But its not ,because every single Public service has other strands of Income, screwed out of the taxpayer...so what we spend is far more

Its like discussing how much your family spends while ignoring the use of the credit card

but what we do know is that, every single , bar none IMO , and anyone can feel free to point 1 great public service organisation out , is sh!te

Im happy to pay what I pay ...just not to fund routine incompetence, long holidays , short working weeks , excessive sick leave , and pensions those of us in the Private Sector (even doing bloody well) can only dream of

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom