Where for art thou Mary

Superindigoman

Just a thought i've been having lately, where is our Head of State, or President, Mary Mc Aleese, should she not be reassuring us, motivating us, giving us hope, what do you think?

RightCentreLeft

Just a thought i've been having lately, where is our Head of State, or President, Mary Mc Aleese, should she not be reassuring us, motivating us, giving us hope, what do you think?
No the FF lickarrse is keeping her head down. A thundering overpaid disgrace.

slippy wicket

Isn't the auld trout more interested in her nordie kin than us poor proles.

Panopticon

No the FF lickarrse is keeping her head down. A thundering overpaid disgrace.
If she hadn't, you would be complaining that she was patronising us by telling us that everything was alright, when the country was clearly going to pot, and call her FF and a thundering overpaid disgrace.

markeys

Sorry, you won't find an overpaid tosser upsetting the status quo. She's one of them now. This crisis is for the little people to bear.

anarko

the very least she should be doing is showing us all how to bang bin lids..;)

mistercrabs

The last I heard she was at a cocktail party with Ian Paisley. The fact that she couldn't even get on TV and tell people something encouraging, or actually be a leader like she's supposed to be, not only reflects on her own incompetence but on the pointlessness of the office of president. We need a change of constitution with more powers for the president. Imagine if there was a principled non-FF politician, like Mary Robinson or Joe Higgins, in a powerful presidency acting as a check on the Dail and as a moral force highlighting corruption and other abuses. I say get rid of the Seanad and have a presidency with real power not inhabited by mediocrities who are paid for nothing.

breakingnews

This is why there should be an all party candidate for president, an election is a waste of money.

lucanlass

Ah FFS, if McAleese got on the TV like 9/11, we may all just pack our bags and go.... the woman cannot contribute in any hand, act or part, so stop this stupid thread! When I saw Mary, I thought Hanafin or Harney and was up for a bit of discussion.

This Country

I had the exact same thought the other day. Where is she?

Some leadership above and beyond the party political squabbles is exactly what she's there for. Usually silences such as these precede a dramatic statement of some kind. I'm thinking call the council of state and put pressure on Biffo to dissolve.

gatsbygirl20

Just a small point: the threat title is obviously a reference to Romeo and Juliet and the famous scene where Juliet says "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?"

"Wherefore" in Shakespeare's time meant "Why?"---nothing to do with "where?"

I know this is being pedantic, but people continually misquote this scene as if Juliet was calling out to Romeo and asking him where he was.

She was not.

She was saying "Oh, why are you called Romeo?" That is, she was wishing he had some other name, as the two families---the Capulets and the Montagues--- were at war.

Once you know that "wherefore" means "why", this all makes sense.

Now back to the trivial matter of our President's role in stopping our country going over the cliff.....(" Wherefore art thou, Mary" would of course mean "Why are you Mary?")

Terminal

Question for the legal eagles among you:

Can she call a Council of State/use constitution in order to force the present govt. to stand down?

truthisfree

The last I heard she was at a cocktail party with Ian Paisley. The fact that she couldn't even get on TV and tell people something encouraging, or actually be a leader like she's supposed to be, not only reflects on her own incompetence but on the pointlessness of the office of president. We need a change of constitution with more powers for the president. Imagine if there was a principled non-FF politician, like Mary Robinson or Joe Higgins, in a powerful presidency acting as a check on the Dail and as a moral force highlighting corruption and other abuses. I say get rid of the Seanad and have a presidency with real power not inhabited by mediocrities who are paid for nothing.
Definitely worthy of discussion.

former wesleyan

And would she not be castigated for " interfering with the Dáil" if she came out to speak so soon after the publication of the budget ? Would anything she said not be construed as supportive of that budget and therefore supportive of FF ?
In other words it's my opinion that given the begrudgery exibited by the Irish she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

anarko

And would she not be castigated for " interfering with the Dáil" if she came out to speak so soon after the publication of the budget ? Would anything she said not be construed as supportive of that budget and therefore supportive of FF ?
In other words it's my opinion that given the begrudgery exibited by the Irish she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.
she could come out and say the IMF can go get lost
the time for protocal is finished
although she is not meant to be our president
she is the states/governments president

New Threads

Most Replies