• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Where have all the bangers gone?

Twin Towers

The run up to previous Halloweens have been a cacophony of exploding fireworks day and night and yet this year the silence has been eerie.

Is this a particularly audible sign of a spending crash and no money for trivialities or is it something else?

CookieMonster

No money for them this year.

Which is a shame because I've always believed their were an important part of Darwinism.

That and of course hundreds of cats and dogs around the country will be denied the pleasure of being blow up.

gijoe

I was thinking the same this morning. In previous years it would not have been odd to hear a few going off up to 2 weeks in advance in my area. This year - not a one. How much do they cost up in Norn Iron? Are they a 'victim' of cutbacks in personal spending? I am sure it is parents rather than kids that actually buy a lot of these. I suspect this is also a portend for a very lean Christmas spending this year.

turdsl

Very true, usually hear them going off for about a week previous. Have heard none.

eoghanacht

You're right, it's a bad indicator for retailers hanging in there for a Christmas splurge.
The only ones that will have a good chritsmas this year will be moneylenders and those 'good people' in south-county Dublin.

milipod

There will be plenty of fireworks come the budget

brigg

Last year and the year before were certainly much quieter here in north county Dublin, but this year has bucked the trend, with a lot going off for several weeks now.

I guess I'm just unlucky. It appears to be just a small group of teenagers in my neighbourhood responsible, and everywhere else does seem to be much quieter. I have noticed they seem to be louder and sound distinctly different to the so-called 'black cats' that used to be everywhere about ten years ago.

limericklady

I was asking this last week and someone reckoned the Guards have clamped down a lot this year. Are they still for sale as widely, does anyone know?

gombeensville

I was asking this last week and someone reckoned the Guards have clamped down a lot this year. Are they still for sale as widely, does anyone know?
You'll find them handy enough around the Border areas. Jonesborough market outside Newry was doing a roaring trade in them last weekend anyway and there was fireworks ads all over the place.

Catalpa

The run up to previous Halloweens have been a cacophony of exploding fireworks day and night and yet this year the silence has been eerie.

Is this a particularly audible sign of a spending crash and no money for trivialities or is it something else?
I think its been in decline for the last couple of years anyway.

The kids have been keeping their powder dry for the Big Night more or less.

There has been an audible increase though over the last quarter of an hour so I expect to hear a cacophony of sounds as its next darker.....

Mister_Jinks

When I read the title of the thread I thought it was about old cars and was going to say something about the scrappage scheme ;)