• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Where have all the economists gone?

partnership

Just occurred to me that I have not seen an economist on the box for a while. There was a time when you could not put Vincent Brown on without Constantin or one of the other boys on. I haven't seen them lately so what's happening?

off with their heads

this low rent joke would come to your house for a personal consultation if you like:rolleyes:

Analyzer

The real economists ?
They have not gone away ya know...

Kilkenomics 2012 | Europe

In the meantime we get spoofers on Pravda like Burgess, Power, etc...

Where is Austin Hughes nowadays ?

gatsbygirl20

They are all gone on ski holidays to Sun Valley, or on Caribbean cruises with the dosh made from Swiss companies, from books, TV appearances etc warning us how terrible things are going to get and that we need to stop expecting to earn a living wage on account of the bank debt, and even if we cut to the bone our grandchildren will still owe a trillion trillion trillion.....
..it's all awful, it'll get worse...
.....and then there's that elite of untouchables who seem to be still having a great time....it's all wrong...everything the government is doing is wrong......if only the government would listen to them...the Minister for Finance should drop round to their house for advice and a chew of garlic....

...when they get back in the Spring, that is...

ibis

Just occurred to me that I have not seen an economist on the box for a while. There was a time when you could not put Vincent Brown on without Constantin or one of the other boys on. I haven't seen them lately so what's happening?
The media are bored with economic stuff. Despite all the roaring and yelling about how fecked we were, the country failed to collapse into a low-rent version of Somalia, the banks gradually stopped sucking billions out of the taxpayer, and kicking the can down the road turned out to be a workable strategy despite being incredibly boring. So it's dull, no longer sexy, and the journos can stop having to go to conferences that hurt their heads.

Crazy horse 6

The media are bored with economic stuff. Despite all the roaring and yelling about how fecked we were, the country failed to collapse into a low-rent version of Somalia, the banks gradually stopped sucking billions out of the taxpayer, and kicking the can down the road turned out to be a workable strategy despite being incredibly boring. So it's dull, no longer sexy, and the journos can stop having to go to conferences that hurt their heads.

Hehe you say that like you almost believe it. Good effort. 7/10

Ribeye

Constantine was blackballed by the TPTB for, well, telling the truth,

All the others cheerfully agreed, TV3 tried to hold out but seem to have buckled under the pressure, I assume because of their weak financial position,

It's a disgrace,

What we desperately need is Constantine and Morgan Kelly,

What we get is idiots and sell outs like Power, Keenan, O'Brien, Taft, Hughes, Loyns, Whelan & Lucy,

Yes, I do put Whelan and Lucy in the latter category, I have my reasons,

But that's captured media for ye I suppose,

EUrJokingMeRight

Commenting on a burning building is only news until the flames die down after the structure has crumbled.

There is still smouldering rubble left but it is not news anymore.

The government has capitulated and sold the middle class into taxes/charges bondage.

But most of the middle class voted for Lisbon so they deserve what they get if you ask me.

Boy M5

The sad thing is that we have good economists (in addition to Constantin, Kelly etc.)
They work in academia (Colm McCarthy, Alan Ahearne) in London, Singapore, NYC and other places foreign - look at Bloomberg.

Would the jakanapes working for financial institutions who tried to make the asset price bubble bubblier have been employed for global financial institutions in major financial centres?

Boy M5

Who is that fine looking fellow that has his photo on here twice? I can't quite put a name to his face. Is he an airline pilot well regarded by his peers for softlandings? Perhaps he's fella who spent more time on the media than writing peer reviewed articles? He has ruddy cheeks does he love his food so much he now chairs a food industry body?
Is he available for radio endorsements, where he describes himself as economist?
Does he sometimes guest on radio programmes where he adopts the demeanour of a terrier after a bag of sausages?

Will someone tell me who is this proud son of Erin, who has contributed so much to us as a people and to our society?

Won't one of ye tell me who is this true Renaisance man? This latter day bould Thady Quill?

Analyzer

They are kept out of the media except for token display, at irregular intervals.

Nowadays, we hae government ministers providing the economic forecast.
Dwarf says that the CPD is providing efficiency improvements.
Brian Hayes expects house prices to go upwards any minute now.
And Noonan says that we are on the way up due to the fact that the unemployment rate fell after the Canada Jobs Expo in the RDS.

NLPete

Was reading the bit in the paper today on Gov overspend for 2012, then went to imf on wiki, and then on to the Oct statement concerning Ireland and the outlook for 2013 on the imf website.

Not great reading I'm afraid.

I wish I culd go skiing or something!

Popular Threads

Most Replies