Where have Ireland's men gone?

Reasunach

'It's so stressful' - Young woman living in Travelodge room with son (4) and mother who is battling cancer - Independent.ie

I can't be the only person whose reaction to the type of story above is "where are the men?" Where is that father of this woman's child, and why is he not paying maintenance? Where is the partner of this woman battling cancer and why is he not looking after is partner/spouse and daughter and grandchild? There seems to be a plethora of women who prefer to rely on the state rather than their partners. What kind of example is this giving to the next generation? That they are absolved of any responsibility as its ok to leave women and children to fend for themselves? I'm all for women being independent, but not to the extent that men are left off the hook where they should be contributing.

Of course lazy journalism may be playing a part here, but does no-one ask "who's the Daddy anymore?"

darkhorse

They are probably sent packing with a bit of encouragement compliments of our Social Welfare system

Lucan Lefty

Circumstances dictate some of these womens status, absent father, death, breakup and so on. This is not the fault of many women who have children, not saying all but many so tread carefully.

asset test

I don't think there is a Child Support Agency like in the UK is there?

If not, the men can obviously do what they like, or do nothing if they so wish with no repercussions.

Stand to be corrected of course thank you.

Lucan Lefty

I don't think there is a Child Support Agency like in the UK is there?

If not, the men can obviously do what they like, or do nothing if they so wish with no repercussions.

Stand to be corrected of course thank you.
Yes pretty much, but the same can be said for the father who wants to see the child/children and sre denied access.

Reasunach

They are probably sent packing with a bit of encouragement compliments of our Social Welfare system
And that is a serious answer that we must take into consideration. Why should reducing the input of half the population into the family unit be so easily dismissed? (I note a certain posters reaction here.) It is important that family units show that one gender is not left to carry the can alone, or to be seen to carry the can alone. The media seems to take great joy in portraying "strong" women, what about the "strong" men? I no longer use the term "feminist" to describe my views, as I believe in equality, not in the superiority of one gender over another. I wish women would stop playing the victim card, make men uphold their responsibilities and show some kind of positive example to their children.

asset test

Yes pretty much, but the same can be said for the father who wants to see the child/children and sre denied access.
Agreed, but I think the Law Reform Commission is in progress about access. Don't know if it is law yet, but it should be.

I often wondered why there is no CSA type system here.

Lucan Lefty

And that is a serious answer that we must take into consideration. Why should reducing the input of half the population into the family unit be so easily dismissed? (I note a certain posters reaction here.) It is important that family units show that one gender is not left to carry the can alone, or to be seen to carry the can alone. The media seems to take great joy in portraying "strong" women, what about the "strong" men? I no longer use the term "feminist" to describe my views, as I believe in equality, not in the superiority of one gender over another. I wish women would stop playing the victim card, make men uphold their responsibilities and show some kind of positive example to their children.
See my last post.

Lucan Lefty

Agreed, but I think the Law Reform Commission is in progress about access. Don't know if it is law yet, but it should be.

I often wondered why there is no CSA type system here.
If not it should be, children are on many occassions and wrongly used as the pawns in a mairage/relationship breakup.

Last edited:

redhead

Erm, didn't we have a referendum that decided that family units are not gendered?

D

Deleted member 45466

Wahhhh. Wahhhhh.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that there aren't any benefits for men in marriage/family.

Women get plenty of benefits from the state.

Stop moaning.

Reasunach

Wahhhh. Wahhhhh.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that there aren't any benefits for men in marriage/family.

Women get plenty of benefits from the state.

Stop moaning.
So you're happy for the state to take over responsibility for the consequences of your actions.,,, 'nuff said.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies