Where is our budget?

Antrim

Where is our budget?

Scotland and Wales have put theirs together but the folks on the hill are keeping us waiting. Why?

The problem is that once again they are not trying to pick a budget that will suit the people of NI.

They are selfishly trying to get the most for their party, and their department, rather than looking at the whole picture. The added problem is that after the election in May they may no longer be in charge of that department. I suspect backroom deals between the DUP and Sinn Fein so that after the May elections they get the departments with the best budgets, they will give the SDLP and the UUP the poorly funded departments.

Do what’s best for the people, not the party.

Antrim

If the local assembly gets corporation tax reduced to the same level as the south it will be one of the greatest things they will have ever done.

This alone will be the biggest help in reducing our public sector. Low cooperation tax in the Sterling zone is bound to attract a lot of business. I’m sure the other regions of the UK won’t be so happy but hopefully because we’re the smallest region and not linked by land our ‘leaders’ might manage to get it.

If we do get lower cooperation tax it will be a major blow to the recovery of the South. If an investor had the choice of investing in a stable Sterling economy or a failed Euro economy it would be Sterling all the way.

Scipio

If the local assembly gets corporation tax reduced to the same level as the south it will be one of the greatest things they will have ever done.
Jeffrey Donaldson raised the point with George Osborne at Westminster a few days back, and was firmly batted away.

There is absolutely zero chance of Northern Ireland's corporation tax rate dropping to the same level as that of the Republic, unless the rest of the U.K. follows suit, which of course, it won't.

Antrim

If they lower corporation tax they will have to raise something else. The assembly does not control taxes so the only thing they could raise are the rates and I don’t see that happening.

Perhaps they will sacrifice the 18bn we’ve been promised as part of a deal to get lower corporation tax.

Also, instead of giving the South 7bn they should use the money to buy the electricity network for the whole Island and whatever other state assets the south sell. The jobs for running these could then go to the North. This also sorts out some of our public sector reliance probs.

Antrim

BUDGET MEASURES
Public sector pay freeze
Harbour Commissioners £125m contribution
15p plastic bag levy
£20m hardship fund introduced
Rates to rise in line with inflation

The infrastructure projects that Sammy said would go ahead are:
The new police and fire training centre
a radiotherapy centre at Altnagelvin Hospital
Sports stadia projects
Upgrades to the water and sewerage network

I’m glad that they didn't sell off any assets. The plastic bag tax is a bit random, surely this will just lead to people using less bags.

I’m just a bit worried that this does not seam ruthless enough. I hope they’ve done their sums correctly.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Who cares about a budget, as long as London keep coughing up the dosh everything will be fine.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
If they lower corporation tax they will have to raise something else. The assembly does not control taxes so the only thing they could raise are the rates and I don’t see that happening.

Perhaps they will sacrifice the 18bn we’ve been promised as part of a deal to get lower corporation tax.

Also, instead of giving the South 7bn they should use the money to buy the electricity network for the whole Island and whatever other state assets the south sell. The jobs for running these could then go to the North. This also sorts out some of our public sector reliance probs.
:roll: Must it be explained again..........well I suppose when your dealing with a people whose concept of economics is that their ship building and linen industry will keep them afloat, it's to be expected I suppose !!!!

" instead of giving the South 7bn "- Their not 'giving the South 7bn ' it's a loan that has to paid back every cent and at 5% profit. Britain is doing it for it's own needs (understandably). Irish banks also have an important role to play in UK lending - accounting for 7% of corporate loans and 3% of household loans, according to the IMF. We are the U.K.'s 5th biggest trading partner and NI’s biggest trading partner as 40 per cent of Northern Ireland's exports go South and two of your major banks are Irish-owned. If the Irish banking systm came down the domino effect for the British ones could be catastrophic. It's not a handout like the unionists having been getting billions every year to wee 'Protestant Ulster' at the expense of the poor old English tax payer.

" they should use the money to buy the electricity network for the whole Island " In actual fact it's the other way around it's the south that iss buying the NI network - to the protests of unionism :) ( their was a thread on it ).

Last edited:

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Still it's not all bad news, southern company Rigney Dolphin is opening a new call centre in Derry to provide 297 new employees over the next three years. The DUP's Arlene Foster said it was "good news" for the local economy. How times have changed. From the sectarian ideology that once didn't want to have a Catholic about the place, it must be soul destroying that they have to grovel to the Taigs with pleasing words. Bad enough to have a northern Taig as a boss, but can you imagine what it feels for them to have a southern one instead !!!!

UTV News -
New Derry call centre to employ 300

Antrim

:

" they should use the money to buy the electricity network for the whole Island " In actual fact it's the other way around it's the south that iss buying the NI network - to the protests of unionism :) ( their was a thread on it ).
I know, I was suggesting we buy it back again. :D

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies