• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Where is our president of this supposed republic at this time of crisis

jimmyfour

It's clear that all political parties are unable to continue to govern effectively on behalf of the electorate.

The president? Opening a pub in Mayo? Or perhaps meeting Mandela for a left-winger shindig in South Africa?

Who knows?

The dail needs to be dissolved, and the current government stopped before they do any more damage.

hmmm

What's she going to do? Give another speech about some mythical fairy celtic spirit which drives us all?

olamp

Probably off somewhere "building bridges". Not that it matters really -what can she do ?

Mushroom

Here ya go - this is Pres. Motormouth's diary for this week.

Interesting to see that she's attending the Ireland V South Africa rugby match in the Aviva Stadium on the evening before it takes place - what a woman!

sport02

We are playing south africa this saturday in the rugby as far as I am aware.
She will be out on the pitch shaking some hands.
Very busy lady our Mary is.

dalywise

Caught between her two best buddies I'd say, - Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein. It must grieve her to see such divergence between the two of them.

Mushroom

We are playing south africa this saturday in the rugby as far as I am aware.
That's what is written on my ticket - but her diary suggests that the game is on Friday evening. Perhaps I should give Deccie Kidney a call and let him know that her ladyship has switched the match to Friday evening.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
What's she going to do? Give another speech about some mythical fairy celtic spirit which drives us all?
Thats about the extent of what she can do. The OP seems to assume the President has executive power she can wield at will. Seems to have confused Ireland with the US system of governance. No one cares where the President is, it is irrelivent, much as the office itself is politically.

But to be fair I was listening to David Norris on the radio a while back talking to Ivan Yates, and the senator seems to be labouring under the exact same impression, that as president he can in fact effect change. For the man on the street thats an easy mistake to make, but for a senator? :rolleyes:

jimmyfour

What a depressing joke.

ON one side: president goes toa rugby match pre-event to shake hands
At the same time: lenny the legendary lawyer gives away another 8 billion quid to a bunch of people we have never heard of

The entire political class in Ireland needs to be removed. The are so far out of sync with the current generation who they expect to pick up the tab. I wonder was it always like this and just the internet allows clarity and information which previous generations didn't have.

jimmyfour

The President represents all the people when undertaking official engagements at home and abroad. The President is Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces. There have been eight different holders of the office - Mary McAleese is the current President.
I get this. She is basically our version of the UK's Queen.

The formal powers and functions of the President are prescribed in the Constitution. The President, who does not have an executive or policy role, exercises them on the advice of the Government.

There are some specific instances where the President has an absolute discretion, such as in referring a Bill to the Supreme Court for a judgment on its constitutionality
NAMA? Compromising the ongoing nature of the state and it's citizens?

The President summons and dissolves Dáil Éireann on the advice of the Taoiseach.
And if the Taoiseach is not able to give adequate advice due to conflicting interests against the state such as all actions since Sept. 2008? It's like a doctor being in the pocket of a pharma company and insisting everyone gets one particular drug. Surely the president has a role here?

Bills enacted by Houses of the Oireachtas are signed into law by the President. A Bill must be signed on the 5th, 6th or 7th day after it is presented to the President, but there are some situations when the President may sign a Bill earlier.
What is the President had a pair of balls, stopped being the ************************************g QUeen of the Republic of Turd and actually refused to sign bills that comporomised the state, the states finances and the future viability of the state? Unless the ultimate purpose is to remove the state as an entity (seems likely).

The President, after consultation with the Council of State, may address the Houses of the Oireachtas (parliament) on any matter of national or public importance. The text of any such address must be approved by the Government.
About time she did make an address tot he Oireachtas? Is anything going on at the moment of national or public importance? Rugby match with wine and possibly a nice flower presentation or........economic and social collapse?

Mushroom

Nothing pencilled in for Tuesday 2nd November?...........oh, sorry, must be the day for essential constituency work
Tuesdays are set aside for epilation and colonic irrigation, I believe.

When you talk as much sh1te as her ladyship does, the need for regular and thorough colonic irrigating is paramount.

sandar

It's clear that all political parties are unable to continue to govern effectively on behalf of the electorate.

The president? Opening a pub in Mayo? Or perhaps meeting Mandela for a left-winger shindig in South Africa?

Who knows?

The dail needs to be dissolved, and the current government stopped before they do any more damage.
has she the power to fo it? if she starts acting aginst the constituion hth current crisis will seem like Valhalla

Mushroom

has she the power to fo it? if she starts acting aginst the constituion hth current crisis will seem like Valhalla

Do you have even the faintest idea of what Valhalla is?

Sync

Most of the people in this thread seem to lack a 10 year old's understanding of the political structure of this country. Expecting them to know about Norse mythology may be pushing it.

sandar

err I think so, now read my post agin and maybe the penny will drop

Mushroom

err I think so, now read my post agin and maybe the penny will drop

I've read it 23 times now and it's still about as clear as a large bottle of pig slurry.

gweedore

HTML:
brian you're pissed go to bed

Popular Threads

Most Replies