Where is the cost of living going down?

dandyspencer

Lister to the Shafter BL on the radio, and he seems to think the cost of living is coming down.

WHERE?

Food prices are going up. And more now that suppliers have to pay more for diesel.

Electric - No change yet, maybe next month they say by 10%. But as yet NOTHING.

Petrol- on the rise!

Diesel - on the Rise and now tazed 5c per ltr.

Road tax- up since last year.

So what is going down, where is the cheaper cost of living?

locke

Basically, for anyone with a mortgage, the cost of repayments has dropped.

But that's about it.

Conor

Basically, for anyone with a mortgage, the cost of repayments has dropped.

But that's about it.
Rents are coming down too.

dandyspencer

Rents are coming down too.
Not true,

A housing expert today explained on TV3, that the vast majoirty of rents are not coming down.

Yes maybe the luxury houses and Aprtments are, but the vast number of houses where people claim rent allowance are not coming down.

And most landlords are paying revenue one fee, and claiming another of their teneants.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
Not true,

A housing expert today explained on TV3, that the vast majoirty of rents are not coming down..
What's this "expert's" name?

What's his past record on predicting property prices?

Why is his "explanation" completely at odds with data from daft.ie?

P.

selfemployedmar

Rents maybe coming down but they are taking away the rent allowance. TRS is now gone for most people. If he had to reduce vat it would have helped however more people will now head to Northern Ireland.

dandyspencer

What's this "expert's" name?

What's his past record on predicting property prices?

Why is his "explanation" completely at odds with data from daft.ie?

P.
I think she was from Privateseller.ie.

And as I have said, If a landlord tells revenue that he rents his house for 400 per month, and actually rents it for 600, the revenue will think rents have come down when in fact they havent.

I should not, that when i used to rent my landlord had a fixed rate mortgage so he couldnt drop the price if he wanted as my rent was paying his mortgage.

Kevin Doyle

Not true,

A housing expert today explained on TV3, that the vast majoirty of rents are not coming down.

Yes maybe the luxury houses and Aprtments are, but the vast number of houses where people claim rent allowance are not coming down.

And most landlords are paying revenue one fee, and claiming another of their teneants.

Rents are coming down by big margins in some cases.

Tenants are in a far stronger positition to negotiate rents.

Sierra

Not true,

Well, I don't know about any "expert" - but the rent on a property I rent has fallen quite substantially since the newest tenant moved in two weeks ago in comparison to last year.

Partizan

Rents are coming down by big margins in some cases.

Tenants are in a far stronger positition to negotiate rents.
My rent has remained static for the last couple of years. The only thing that has fallen are the net curtains.

smitchy2

Mortgage repayments have dropped significantly.
Rent is coming down all the time- if not barter with your landlord, it will work.
Electrical and white goods have shot right down but maybe are luxury items.
Car prices are well down.
Food prices have dropped and you certainly spread yourself a little better by using the discount stores- their food is definitely improving.
ESB and Bord Gais are finally coming down but are still massively overpriced. Switch to BG and save 10% per annum.

irish_bob

anyone who believes the cost of living has not come down is lacking in basic arithmetic

grainne whale

Food prices will rise as will bus & train fares due to the price rise in diesel, any excuse to raise prices. Apparently the cost of insulation has risen due to the grants available.

locke

Food prices will rise as will bus & train fares due to the price rise in diesel, any excuse to raise prices. Apparently the cost of insulation has risen due to the grants available.
I thought public transport operators didn't have to pay fuel duty?

goosebump

I am spending less on mortage interest, electricty, diesel, food, clothes, car insurance and telephone than I was a year ago.

Anyone who doesn't think food prices have come down is being disingenuous. Tesco offer amazing value on food at the moment.

Last month they did a deal where you could buy 3 bags for fruit for €3, and were offering 50% off he price of sirloin steak.

This month you can get a 'Meal for Two' for €11.50.

On Sunday night, myself and the missus had:

Steak Diane
Cheddar Mash
A bottle of Chilean Red Wine
Lemon tartlets

The cost of those items individually was €21.

grainne whale

I thought public transport operators didn't have to pay fuel duty?
I have the annual rail ticket, and it rose significantly last year, the excuse was that fuel was costing more.

grainne whale

I am spending less on mortage interest, electricty, diesel, food, clothes, car insurance and telephone than I was a year ago.

Anyone who doesn't think food prices have come down is being disingenuous. Tesco offer amazing value on food at the moment.

Last month they did a deal where you could buy 3 bags for fruit for €3, and were offering 50% off he price of sirloin steak.

This month you can get a 'Meal for Two' for €11.50.

On Sunday night, myself and the missus had:

Steak Diane
Cheddar Mash
A bottle of Chilean Red Wine
Lemon tartlets

The cost of those items individually was €21.
Well, I shop in Aldi & Lidl, and I can assure you that their prices are rising, ie fruit, cheese, eggs, the basics.

imokyrok

If that's true about insulation surely that was foreseeable and some measures should have been taken to prevent that occurring.

People seem to be forgetting that almost everyone is already coping with income decreases one way or another. Prices overall have not come down as much as income has dropped. Personally I find you really have to search for those price drops. For example shopping in Dunnes takes twice as long as you have to read every price tag to find the much lauded price reductions.

Does anyone know if shopping in Sainsbury is cheaper than Aldi in Dublin? I've resisted the trip North so far but I may have to reconsider. I don't care about booze prices. I don't buy booze.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies