• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Where Is The Occupy Movement Now?

General Urko

Stéphane Hessel, the movement's inspiration died recently -

Inspiration behind Occupy movement - People | Popular Stories, Obituaries & More | The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 02, 2013

They for such a global movement which had a fair bit of momentum back in the day, seem to have gone to ground!
My post was inspired to an extent by the first part of the article below -

PUNT: Google is searching for excuses - Independent.ie

Where are they now?

BTW I would have been broadly sympathetic with their views!

NYCKY

The Occupy movement was an ephemeral protest that was tolerated for a brief moment. A flash in the pan, it was impomptu with no structure, no agenda and no viability.

It's gone!

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
This weekend, I plan on occupying the beach. Forecast says 78 and sunny.

Outside of that, see NYCKY's post. As far as movements go, they were like people who drink on New Years Eve...amateurs.

BlackLion

The Occupy movement was an ephemeral protest that was tolerated for a brief moment. A flash in the pan, it was impomptu with no structure, no agenda and no viability.

It's gone!
It's not gone, it's in all our hearts. :)

TBF tho, when an organisation that gets controlled by a bunch of extreme anarchists, destroys itself sooner or later.

Bill

It's been a long long winter, they're probably at home.

Spanner Island

The era of consumerism, instant gratification and the 'because I'm worth it' mentality has destroyed any endurance people have for long term struggle...

If results aren't quick any motivation soon fades because that's how people have been conditioned... and that goes for those who can be bothered getting involved in the first place...

Most people can't even be arsed getting involved at all...

They're too busy trying to earn a crust to buy a new car or gadget or phone or handbag or shoes or whatever is cool and trendy and the latest 'must have' at the time...

Consumerism has turned us into mindless drones... and Google and smart phones etc. are going to turn us even more brain dead...

Want to know anything? Google it...

No need to retain any information or knowledge or even think much...

Trainwreck

They were the noisy ragtag 1%.

Hopefully, they have gone to occupy jobs and start contributing.

sauntersplash

Hmm, festival season coming up. I suspect the "movement" is painting a large papier mache head somewhere, whilst airing out a teepee. Or maybe studying for exams.

Freedom!

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org

Hitchcock

Dadaist

The question shouldn't be where is the movement now, but why didn't we (including myself) support it?

Bill

Cause you're part of the 1%

Dadaist

Cause you're part of the 1%
Is this the 1% that lost their jobs, or got a 20-40% salary cut, increased taxation due to austerity, cuts to vital services e.g. mental health, or that are unhappy with the debt of the banks being foisted on people who had nothing to do with shít storm we are in now, etc., etc., etc., is that the 1% you are talking about?

Hitchcock

Bill

Is this the 1% that lost their jobs, or got a 20-40% salary cut, increased taxation due to austerity, cuts to vital services e.g. mental health, or that are unhappy with the debt of the banks being foisted on people who had nothing to do with shít storm we are in now, etc., etc., etc., is that the 1% you are talking about?
Earnings.

Hitchcock

Popular Threads

Most Replies