Where RTE fail to investigate HSE - Al Jazeera do their job for them

zuiderzee

Website
amhrannua.com
There is such a culture of silence within the Irish Media.

The child abuse cases took years to be exposed, despite reports to authorities and the press.

More recently something similar is happening again, HSE failures where children have died.

The program makes very uncomfortable, even shameful viewing.

The investigation into the HSE that should have been done by RTE was instead done by Al Jazeerahttp.

It exposes the recent abuse of children in care,
the alteration of reports
The lack of co-operation from the HSE to child care workers

and how in Ireland no one has been held accountable.

Secrets and children - PEOPLE AND POWER - Al Jazeera English

The program exposes the disgraceful treatment of children in care, the alteration of reports and how in Ireland no one has been held accountable.
They are shifted and moved, and the HSE continues to fail some of the most vulnerable in the state.

I don't know what to say in reply ZZ, except the maxim that all journalists are supposed to aspire to, i.e., the best possible version of the truth, has been strangled in Ireland, first by the Church, then by politicians and now by the Law.

If only we had had some brave journalists willing to do the decent thing. But they are too well part of the establishment to be of any use in the search for, and the highlighting of the evil amongst us.

Mister men

Journos here are more worried about ladder climbing and their career than exposing corruption and breaking the status quo.

neiphin

I'm no fan of the HSE, but its unfair to baldly declare X number of children in HSE care died in the same report that discusses abuse by religious orders.

It wasn't the HSE that killed these kids. Mostly, the HSE failed to prevent these kids killing themselves. Its completely different from what happened in the religious institutions.
semantics

neiphin

It wasn't the HSE that killed these kids. Mostly, the HSE failed to prevent these kids killing themselves.
will you not accept that all measures and facilities were not afforded to these kids
i accept that yes some off them would have fallen off the track
but some could have been saved from themselves
but i suppose we have enough scumbags and their kids ?
one or two less wont matter ?

seabhcan

will you not accept that all measures and facilities were not afforded to these kids
i accept that yes some off them would have fallen off the track
but some could have been saved from themselves
but i suppose we have enough scumbags and their kids ?
one or two less wont matter ?
Of course I accept that, and more and better should have been done. The system needs to be improved and there are currently serious failings.

However, I think its unfair and misleading of the program to introduce this serious topic in the same breath as the vastly greater crimes done by the religious orders against children in past decades.

1. The HSE fails to protect all kids from harm.

2. The religious orders contained criminals who were actively harming children.

You can't seriously claim that 1 = 2

bkeith

This is bit rich comming from Al Jazeera, they should cover the mutilation of infants genitals (ritualised torture) or female Infanticide, honor killings in Muslim world. No they perfer to cover stories about the decadent west which reaffirm the high-mindedness, and moral superiority of their Muslim viewers.

Raketemensch

This is bit rich comming from Al Jazeera, they should cover the mutilation of infants genitals (ritualised torture) or female Infanticide, honor killings in Muslim world. No they perfer to cover stories about the decadent west which reaffirm the high-mindedness, and moral superiority of their Muslim viewers.
That's right, we do not want to hear about corruption and abuse in our society, we would prefer silence. After all, everything was perfect in the 50s and 60s when the peasants kept their mouths shut and knew their place.

slx

To be fair, Al Jazeera is pretty tough on those issues too. It's established itself as a reputable news outlet that just happens to be based in the middle east and you'll find that the report was most likely done by their London Bureau.

Al Jazeera's done a hell of a lot to shake things up in the arab/muslim world too. It's not shy about exposing stuff like this.

Also, to be fair to RTE, they did cover this. It could do with a lot more coverage though across *ALL* media. RTE News does quite a weak job of covering this kind of thing, but Prime Time and some of the radio shows are amongst the only media giving it serious attention.

I would like to see a LOT more pressure coming from the Irish Times, Examiner, Indo and the tabloids and TV3 and Newstalk could do a lot too.

Newstalk seems to spend most of its time just doing rolling political / economic stories. We need to get our teeth into these kinds of issues. It's totally unacceptable in this day and age that this is STILL ongoing!

Last edited:

bkeith

That's right, we do not want to hear about corruption and abuse in our society, we would prefer silence. After all, everything was perfect in the 50s and 60s when the peasants kept their mouths shut and knew their place.
What are you talking about? We are continously bombarded with stories of Child abuse by the media in this country and have being for the last decade or more. To the point that we are viewed by the rest of the World as a nation of drunken finanicially irresponsible Paedophiles. What I was suggesting, is that Al Jazeera should report on child Abuse in it's own Backyard, and God/Allah knows they would have plenty of material, but that is not going to happen, is it?

slx

It's just more evidence of completely inept management by the Government. It's the same kind of nonsense that has led us to economic disaster. All talk, no action and disastrous bureaucracy that simply doesn't work.

There's also a lot of evidence that Irish society is quite happy to just ignore the worst aspects of our society i.e. people who are drug addicts, alcoholics, homeless, kids in care, prison conditions, gang violence.

We tend to want to just see the good things, we moan about the economy etc but that's it.

The attitude seems to be to assume that these are some kind of sub-human people that we don't want to know about.

Irish society does a lot of waffling on about being caring and helpful. However, when it comes to the crunch it's hypocritical and callous and has ignored a huge amount of what could only be described as atrocities against the vulnerable.

This should be a major political issue but it isn't.

What is wrong with people in this country?

We know there are scandalous things going on : corruption, child abuse, ridiculous cover ups yet people keep voting for the same people over and over again!

It's nuts! I seriously think there's something severely wrong with Irish society.

How are we going to explain our lack of action ?!

This is EXACTLY the same as the stuff that went on in the 1950s and 60s, it's just a different type of child neglect.

Also, what exactly is the point of having the HSE running children's welfare service?

To me, it looks like the child care services are straddling HSE, Dept of Health, Social Welfare, Education and Justice !

We need the whole thing to be put into a single sub-department that is directly responsible to a minister.

This is UTTER nonsense.

Last edited:

Twin Towers

Al Jazeera have had 6 years to follow up on complaints from Pakistan of hundreds of child abuse cases in madrassas.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Madrassas hit by sex abuse claims

slx

Regardless of who the messenger is in this case, or what you think of Al Jazeera that report is pretty damning of the HSE. Something has to change and change very quickly.

This is the kind of coverage you'd expect to see of China or pre-revolution Romania!

There is something TOTALLY rotten in our childcare systems. The whole system is just grossly dysfunctional.

Can this Government do ANYTHING right?!

Anglo, NAMA, collapse of the economy etc on one side.
Children going missing in care on the other side.

What the hell is the State doing? It has to start taking the public interest seriously for once!

Is it THAT much to ask that the state doesn't bankrupt the country and neglect children?!

Last edited:

paxtime

Journos here are more worried about ladder climbing and their career than exposing corruption and breaking the status quo.
That might be true. But it's worth remembering that journalists do not control the media. Far from it in fact. The proprietors and advertisers control what appears in the press.

New Threads

Most Replies