Where to now for Pakistan?

Shaneofski

I did. I got great mileage out of it.

The Bangladeshi guy I was working with was delighted when we beat Pakistan. Then we beat Bangladesh. Priceless!

On the Friday I was having lunch with Pakistani colleagues. I said, "Hey, you better watch out for the Irish. It's Paddy's Day, they're gonna kick your ass!:.

We all laughed a hearty laugh at the absurdity of the suggestion.

They weren't laughing on Monday.

Helium Three

The mother of all judgments ... truly a positive and revolutionary decision for Pakistan

That was the reaction of one woman interviewed on Al Jazeera to the Supreme Court of Pakistan's decision this afternoon reversing President Musharraf's attempted dismissal of the Chief Justice I M Chaudhary.

Riots by lawyers, many deaths and now an exercise of independent judgment defying the wishes of the Head of State. What next?

Catalpa

Helium Three said:
The mother of all judgments ... truly a positive and revolutionary decision for Pakistan

That was the reaction of one woman interviewed on Al Jazeera to the Supreme Court of Pakistan's decision this afternoon reversing President Musharraf's attempted dismissal of the Chief Justice I M Chaudhary.

Riots by lawyers, many deaths and now an exercise of independent judgment defying the wishes of the Head of State. What next?
A Coup? :?

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Catalpa said:
A Coup? :?
Thats been ticked off the list already I think ;)

In all seriousness, thanks for the info about Chinese involvement in Pakistan Shaneofski. As you have already gathered most discussion about Pakistan over here is done with scant information outside of that which is reported because it involves a Western interest or angle. Its a pity that Western media presents only the portion of the backgound and uses endless analysis to pad it out rather then present a whole picture.

It leads me to question whether omission of vital facts and background by the media is comparable to lies and spin put out by politicians. Intentionally or not, are we in the West being fooled by everyone who is supposed to keep us informed.

As for Indian/US using spooks to stir up attacks on Chinese? I don't think either are capable of operating to that degree in a country with so many factions that hate both of them. The US in particular is still playing catch up regards on the ground intelligance gathering, and I have no doubt the ISI have them well in hand.

Shaneofski

Hi guys,

Jubilation all round really, SMS messages started pouring in at about 4pm or so Islamabad time to inform us of the decision.

It is a piece of good news after a run of seriously bad news.

Regarding spooks. It isn't actually that difficult to arrange bombings and assassinations here. All you need is someone, a local, on the ground, who makes the arrangements and pays the perps. Payment need only be a couple of thousand dollars.

The Pakistanis are very suspicious of the Indians, who they claim support the Balochi separatists, among others. Remember, the Chinese and Pakistanis have agreed to cooperate militarily. The Indians DO NOT want to see this happen. Come to think of it. The US doesn't want to see it happen either.

Shaneofski

Oh... and just when you think it's safe to go outside, you read something like this:

LAHORE: Punjab Home Ministry directed the high officials of all districts of Punjab to make foolproof arrangements and be on high alert in view of possible suicide bomb attacks.

In a letter issued by Home Secretary Punjab Khusro Pervez Khan to the high officials of police, the interior ministry informed that two clean-shaved suicide bomber, aged 25, may attack in a couple of days, while information regarding the targets and attack date of these bombers could not be ascertained.

The letter revealed that prior to this, six suicide bombers have arrived in Islamabad and Rawalpindi and four are reported to have reached Lahore.

Also, some days back, Home Department Punjab sent a letter to high officials across Punjab regarding the arrival of seven suicide bombers in federal capital.

Also, the Dawn reported today that 300 Chinese workers have fled from the north of the country. This is in addition to the hundreds who already fled Islamabad after the kidnappings.

Catalpa

Is the US getting ready to increase covert operations in Pakistans Tribal areas as Musharraf becomes weaker and AQ appears to grow stronger there?

The U.S. would consider military force if necessary to stem al-Qaida's growing ability to use its hideout in Pakistan to launch terrorist attacks, a White House aide said Sunday.

The president's homeland security adviser, Fran Townsend, said the U.S. was committed first and foremost to working with Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf, in his efforts to control militants in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border region. But she indicated the U.S. was ready to take additional measures.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/s ... 94,00.html

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Catalpa said:
Is the US getting ready to increase covert operations in Pakistans Tribal areas as Musharraf becomes weaker and AQ appears to grow stronger there?
Certainly some truth to the rumour, but Pakistan is having none of it, rejecting the possability of American raids on its territory:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6911231.stm

Which is strange, as Shaneofski has already stated that Chinese special forecs operate in northern Pakistan agasint Islamic miltants with impunity.

Shaneofski

Hi Thac0man.

The Chinese come in on snatch operations, nothing involving attacking bases etc.... no air attacks. They generally come in to pick up fugitives from China.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Shaneofski said:
Hi Thac0man.

The Chinese come in on snatch operations, nothing involving attacking bases etc.... no air attacks. They generally come in to pick up fugitives from China.
Yes, thanks for the clarification, that is a little differant.

This link form the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6345879.stm

... reports on the execution of an Uighur leader in China (Ismail Semed), but the link I was looking for and cannot find right now includes what the BBC ommitted, he was arrested in Pakistan and extradited before his trial and subseqent execution. Again bringing up the issue of Western media only skimming the surface of these matters in highly sensitive regions.

However the involvement of the Chinese military in Pakistan is still a live issue. The Chinese companies that are being used to exploit resources in Pakistan are run by the Military.

Actually I have just remembered where I read the article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/china/article2116123.ece

These companies are army controlled and develop resources in sensitive areas, as in the case of the linked to article, Xinjiang province.

Shaneofski

Hey there. Just been another suicide bombing in Islamabad, near the Lal Masjid Mosque. At least 12 dead. Just when things were beginning to calm down...

Helium Three

Shaneofski said:
Hey there. Just been another suicide bombing in Islamabad, near the Lal Masjid Mosque. At least 12 dead. Just when things were beginning to calm down...
Very sorry to hear that Shaneofski.

Musharraf is making overtures to Benazir Bhutto according to today's report in the London Times

caledhel

I read Imran Khan's book and was impressed by him. He's a straightforward, devout but moderate muslim, who comes across as cultured and genuinely concerned about the future of his country. He's got quite a task in front of him.

It'll have to be honest, active, every hand to the oar and everyday if the Pakistanis want to emerge. He can't do it for them but he can do it with them.

The first thing he'll have to do is make sure that everyone believes that right behaviour will win through, and that it is seen to. That'll be hard, and seem impractical at times, but that's the job to do. Good luck President Khan.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies