Where to put a geological disposal facility (Nuclear Dump)?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We should build a nuclear power plant and give the people free, clean electricity.

We could dump the waste out in the middle of the Atlantic :smile:
I worked out some years back that with the price of bailing out Anglo-Irish bondholders with the money that was in the National Pension Fund Reserve we could have had five or six nuclear power stations bought from and brought on line by EDF, the French nuclear power station builder.

We'd have been energy independent by now.

between the bridges

South Armagh sounds a perfect fit, thon karma tis a beatch...

Newrybhoy

We'll need somewhere to process the waste from the Nuclear submarines in the Foyle.

Good joined up thinking.

recedite

We should build a nuclear power plant and give the people free, clean electricity.

We could dump the waste out in the middle of the Atlantic :smile:
Good idea. I can't see Trump objecting anyway.
If he does, just give him another sandy headland somewhere.

AhNowStop

We'll need somewhere to process the waste from the Nuclear submarines in the Foyle.

Good joined up thinking.
Wee Sammy Wilson’s head :mad2: would be the spot ,,,, sure it’s already radioactive and there’s plenty of space :?

Last edited:

Talk Back

No doubt about it, but locationally challenged Unionists trapped in Ireland are great for an aul laugh.

[video=youtube;GsH9LDNplzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsH9LDNplzE[/video]

AhNowStop

I stopped off there one time for food, I now wish to encase it in millions of tons of concrete.
Ah feck I had a great nights craic there about a year ago ... some amount of pubs - Jaysus :shock:

Before you do the pour let me know so I can give it another lash :)

cozzy121

Newry it is then..

FactCheck: Is the UK government considering an area near Newry for a nuclear waste disposal site?

... Northern Ireland

In a post published on 19 December 2018, the British government said its work had shown that there may be a “suitable geological setting” for a geological disposal facility in Northern Ireland.

“There are granites and similar strong rocks around Newry, in which we may be able to site a GDF,” it said. “We would need to do more work to find out whether these rocks have suitable properties and thicknesses in the depth range of interest for a GDF.”

recedite

The radioactive water could be pumped underground in the Northwest. That causes valuable natural gas to emerge from deep underground. Yes folks, its called fracking. Kill two birds with one stone.
Maybe have a few small earthquakes too, but hey, that's life.

Fracking in Ireland
Currently the process of fracking is not legal in Ireland however, studies have being carried out by the EPA into how fracking process could be best monitored if it were to take place. The area known as the Northwest Ireland Carboniferous Basin has been identified as a shale rich area, this comprises parts of Fermanagh, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal and Roscommon.
Fracking