• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Where will the public sector vote move to after FG & Labour have cut their pay?

RobertW

So you're a public servant and each of the three main parties - FF (twice), FG & Labour - will have cut your wage separately to the the rest of the workforce with, possibly, the Labour Party voting to cut your wage. I say this as it was widely believed that many public servants moved to Labour at the last election.

Your unions are . . . Well forget them - they're now irrelevant.

So where will the public sector vote go to in future elections?

anationoceagain

Where can they go really?...part of the further disintegration of the middle class which is a phenomenon sweeping the western world...

ruserious

I didn't realise the public sector was one voting block.

flavirostris

Back to nurse.. Fianna Fáil. It was always FF who cosseted the PS.

cabledude

I had this discussion on Thursday with a brother of mine who is a Prison Officer. He said that he would not waste his time voting again after what he views as a betrayal of his trust by Labour.

So your question :Where will the PS vote go to in future elections?
Answer : Nowhere, public servants will stay at home.

blokesbloke

Well, if you're voting on that one issue only, I suppose it depends on what parties promise before the next election. I wouldn't be surprised if FF tried to lure PS workers with promises on pay - though whether you'd believe them would be a different matter.

Perhaps SF might be an option? Or independents?

Last edited:

cabledude

Well, if you're voting on that one issue only, I suppose it depends on what parties promise before the next election. I wouldn't be surprised if FF tried to lure PS workers with promises on pay - though whether you'd believe them woul dbe a different matter.

Perhaps SF might be an option? Or independents?
You can bet your avatar's baldy head that FF will promise the sun moon and stars to the PS/CS. And the majority of them will probably fall for it because it will suit them to fall for it.

Johnny

Back to FF, no question about it.

Watch the FF courtship of the PS begin in earnest. The sun, moon and stars will be promised to get them back on board.

(FWIW, I will vote SF, as per always.)

davoid

You can bet your avatar's baldy head that FF will promise the sun moon and stars to the PS/CS. And the majority of them will probably fall for it because it will suit them to fall for it.
Dont underestimate the shinners ability to play the populist card either.

flavirostris

Yeah.. I could see FF lovebombing the PS coming up to an election. As much as they might resent FF for cutting their pay between 2008-2011, they know who butters their bread the most liberally as well.

FF made the PS a loyal voting bloc by turning them into the highest paid public workers in Europe. Pure and simple bribery.

Tin Foil Hat

So you're a public servant and each of the three main parties - FF (twice), FG & Labour - will have cut your wage separately to the the rest of the workforce with, possibly, the Labour Party voting to cut your wage. I say this as it was widely believed that many public servants moved to Labour at the last election.

Your unions are . . . Well forget them - they're now irrelevant.

So where will the public sector vote go to in future elections?
How many public sector victim threads do you start in a week?

cabledude

Indeed. But as a voting bloc, the public service will want to vote for a realistic proposition of Governance. SF is not that.

cabledude

How many public sector victim threads do you start in a week?
I thought the same, but, this issue will be an interesting factor in the next GE in May 2016.

blokesbloke

Don't speak ill of your betters, m'dear, there's a lamb.

im axeled

judgeing by the recent polls, they will be joining labour or or may i suggest even the greens ,unless they get the finger out.

de knowledge economy

Seems to me the government don't need to cut public service pay.Take away the tenure, look around to see those (especially including management) surplus to requirements and make them redundant with statutory redundancy only.Their pension contributions can be put into a retirement fund invested and accessible at age 55 similar to what happens in private sector.

Limerick Lad

I would imagine more of the electorate favour reducing the public service pay bill than maintaining it at its current level or increasing it.
Any political party favouring the status quo or actually reversing any of the hard fought reductions in pay achieved over the last few years would most likely lose more votes than they would gain by cosying up to the public service.

controller

Did anybody see this letter in the IT today. It was the funniest letter that I read in a long time. It probably deserves its own thread in "Humor"

Sir, – The latest proposals for extending the Croke Park agreement involve pay cuts for higher-paid public servants. This pandering to left-wing ideologues could cost the nation dearly.

Already, the public sector is finding it difficult to attract and retain top-quality experts in the various disciplines. Top professionals can earn far more in the private sector. We need smart people in the public sector, people who can engage on an equal basis with their counterparts in the private sector and not be intimidated by them intellectually. These are the people who can help lead Ireland’s recovery. Without them, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Any politician who favours pay cuts for the best people should explain why paying less to Wayne Rooney or Robin van Persie would improve Manchester United’s finances. While it may be more difficult to discover the stars in finance, IT, administration, etc, than football, such people are no less valuable; arguably, they are even more valuable since the difference between doing the job well and badly can have far greater financial consequences. I’m not advocating that they get similar rewards – the rewards for top professional footballers are obscene – but they should be recognised and treasured. They should not have pay reductions forced on them. – Yours, etc,

The Irish Times - Readers Letters and Feedback