Where's Patrick Neary?

Disillusioned democrat

Last night's Primetime refered to Patrick Neary and had one of those old file photos from one of his cringeworthy interviews he did on the run up to the bank guarantee, but nothing more recent.

Considering he, more than almost anyone else, has been repeatedly implicated in the general cluelessness that allowed Gov.ie guarantee the banks against "the best available advice", it seems odd that he had been allowed to disappear off into the sunset.

No Oireactas Committee appearances, no what's he doing now colour pieces, no reportage at all. It's as if he took a large wedge of cash and high-tailed it into the wilderness. I would have thought his evidence and opinions would have been fundamental to the recent reports into the banking crisis, but...nothing.

Anyone know where he is and what he's doing?

Biffomania

Last night's Primetime refered to Patrick Neary and had one of those old file photos from one of his cringeworthy interviews he did on the run up to the bank guarantee, but nothing more recent.

Considering he, more than almost anyone else, has been repeatedly implicated in the general cluelessness that allowed Gov.ie guarantee the banks against "the best available advice", it seems odd that he had been allowed to disappear off into the sunset.

No Oireactas Committee appearances, no what's he doing now colour pieces, no reportage at all. It's as if he took a large wedge of cash and high-tailed it into the wilderness. I would have thought his evidence and opinions would have been fundamental to the recent reports into the banking crisis, but...nothing.

Anyone know where he is and what he's doing?
Don't ask too many questions or Biffo may feel the need to provide Neary with a new identity, in the Côte d'Azur, with an enhanced pension..........at our expense. Biffo's track record of rewarding PS incompetence and criminal waste and other such FF-type "minor misdemeanours" is there for all to see. Wonder what Cowen's fearful of?

Munnkeyman

I've been trying to find out.
Nigh impossible.
Have you looked up every tree in Dublin?

Twin Towers

Presumably looking after 'backers' with digouts or fallen for the dopiest 419, or both. Pension wise lets pray he doesn't stick around too long.

Last edited:

Mushroom

I hear that Pat is playing golf with Rody Molloy every week - they reminisce a lot about the good old days when people respected their betters and knew their place - those halcyon days of first class travel, 5 star hotels, executive cars and unlimited travel and subsistence accounts.

Twin Towers

I hear that Pat is playing golf with Rody Molloy every week - they reminisce a lot about the good old days when people respected their betters and knew their place - those halcyon days of first class travel, 5 star hotels, executive cars and unlimited travel and subsistence accounts.
I doubt if he even blushes when dragging that golf cart over the homeless.

Newsy

Isn't he coming before an Oireactas Committee in the autumn...Public Accounts!!!!!

Not surprised he is laying low.....his clueless behaviour is a disgrace.

Munnkeyman

Anyone ever find it amazing that a guy who
studied Greek and Latin for one year in college
can become Financial Regulator?

Aristodemus

We have two lawyers in the highest political posts in the country. Why not a Greek scholar as Financial Regulator?

Asparagus

Yes and no - he had 30 years exp in the central bank too so no excuses..

No more surprising as having a barrister in finance or a sh@ggin teacher as the great white hope of the country...

Twin Towers

studied Greek and Latin for one year in college can become Financial Regulator?
Made him part of Ireland's own knowledge economy.

That's who he knows not what he knows, of course.

Biffomania

Not in the land where a hospital clerk who falsely claimed to be a qualified accountant with a university degree - and is exposed as a total liar with a fraudulent CV - gets to be Taoiseach! No coincidence that between the "It's all Greek to me" Regulator, and the so-called accountant who didn't know his debits from his credits, that they brought the country to its knees.

Asparagus

I just realised that i would be dead twice by the time i was 20 if i was patrick neary.

If i told my dad that i was going to study greek and latin in UCD he would have killed me, if i then told him i was dropping out after 1 year he'd have killed me again.

Mushroom

In fairness to Neary, didn't he pick up some form of an accountancy qualification after he joined the Civil Service? (Not an invisible LSE one like Bertie, but a real one!)

Disillusioned democrat

I just realised that i would be dead twice by the time i was 20 if i was patrick neary.

If i told my dad that i was going to study greek and latin in UCD he would have killed me, if i then told him i was dropping out after 1 year he'd have killed me again.
What would have happened if you told him you actively participated in the economic distruction of the country?

Munnkeyman

We have two lawyers in the highest political posts in the country. Why not a Greek scholar as Financial Regulator?
Yes and no - he had 30 years exp in the central bank too so no excuses..

No more surprising as having a barrister in finance or a sh@ggin teacher as the great white hope of the country...
Made him part of Ireland's own knowledge economy.

That's who he knows not what he knows, of course.
Not in the land where a hospital clerk who falsely claimed to be a qualified accountant with a university degree - and is exposed as a total liar with a fraudulent CV - gets to be Taoiseach! No coincidence that between the "It's all Greek to me" Regulator, and the so-called accountant who didn't know his debits from his credits, that they brought the country to its knees.
O.K. naive question then:shock:

Biffomania

In fairness to Neary, didn't he pick up some form of an accountancy qualification after he joined the Civil Service? (Not an invisible LSE one like Bertie, but a real one!)
You know the gag, what would economics be without assumptions? Accounting.

The problem is, the horrendous scale of Neary's ****-up indicates he knew little or nothing about basic accounting or basic economics, or even, God help us, basic assumptions. And even less about whistle-blowing. In other words, he was promoted dizzyingly about his competency and ability levels - by a combination of the PS system and good old fashioned FF political interference. Nothing inherently wrong, some might argue, with promotion based on length of service rather than on ability and merit, and why not some 'cute hoor' political meddling when it comes to promotions - shure isn't it all part of the same PS system and what's so terribly wrong anyhow about regulators and Semi-State CEO's being beholden to FF and to the whole PS system? Possibly so when, say, promoting a junior Lollipop Lady to the position of Chief Lollipop Lady but unfortunately now that we're staring at imminent Armageddon even FF itself must accept the "system" has to be changed - permanently. If only Matthew Elderfield had been in situ rather than the hapless Neary, but that would have required a Taoiseach with integrity and a commitment to the State's interests rather than to those of himself, and his party and his cronies.

Twin Towers

O.K. naive question then:shock:
What did you want? A postcard?

We know he hasn't comitted hari-Kari anyway.

We know he is out there somewhere spending money he has no more moral right to than a pickpocket but unlike a pickpocket he'll have his hand in the taxpayers pocket till the end of his days buoyed by entitlement.

skiii

Speaking of missing people, where are Loan Manager and golfer Fintan Drury and cheerleader of the boom, Dan Mac Laughlin.The latter was a great man for gushing out the bank profit figures.The more you think about it , the more incredible Biffo's Anglo golf outings were.

New Threads