Where's the pride?

j26

In the Eighties, I remember my father paying 65% tax, I remember Social Welfare was low, services were slashed and people struggled to survive. People sacrificed what was necessary to get through to AVOID the IMF coming in. Yes, we were being conned, while the powerful feathered their nests but we didn't know it, and got behind the grindstone. We weren't happy about it but we did it.

This time we gave in without a whimper, and know upfront that we have been conned, and that they are not just feathering their nests, but gilding them.

Really, what tax increases did we suffer, other than a few relatively minor increases? What cuts did we endure other than a few small cuts.
We seem to have just cut public sector pay, made a few tax and spending changes, fractured our society and raised the white flag.

The ignominy of what has happened can't be understated.

DeputyEdo

In the Eighties, I remember my father paying 65% tax, I remember Social Welfare was low, services were slashed and people struggled to survive. People sacrificed what was necessary to get through to AVOID the IMF coming in. Yes, we were being conned, while the powerful feathered their nests but we didn't know it, and got behind the grindstone. We weren't happy about it but we did it.

This time we gave in without a whimper, and know upfront that we have been conned, and that they are not just feathering their nests, but gilding them.

Really, what tax increases did we suffer, other than a few relatively minor increases? What cuts did we endure other than a few small cuts.
We seem to have just cut public sector pay, made a few tax and spending changes, fractured our society and raised the white flag.

Really?? You can't understand why people are p1ssed off about the way things are going?

goosebump

Put simply, we didn't have a banking crisis in the 80s.

We could probably manage the fiscal crisis with a large does of austerity, but the banking crisis is cancerous. It eating away at the heart of the economy, and can only be resolved with an amount of money that we would never be able to generate by ourselves.

Also, we were able to let our currency devalue back then, which we can't do now.

Social Conscience

Our pride has been eroded - surely you can understand this and the reasons for it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies