• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Where's the Seanad Abolition Referendum?

Mattarigna

I am pretty sure that there was a referendum promised for this year on whether or not to abolish the Seanad. We are now into November, and I see nothing on it at all. Is this another in a long line of broken promises by this Government? Are they even going to go ahead with This?

PS Mods, I made a mistake regarding the timing of the referendum- can you close this thread, please?

Last edited:

Red_93

The constitutional convention (which is meeting soon or has already met) will decide on the matter very soon I think.

TommyO'Brien

I am pretty sure that there was a referendum promised for this year on whether or not to abolish the Seanad. We are now into November, and I see nothing on it at all. Is this another in a long line of broken promises by this Government? Are they even going to go ahead with it?

PS Mods, I only just noticed the Seanad abolition thread - can you move this one, please?
Did you look at the government legislative programme? It is down there as No 120 (the C list). The plan is to have around 2 referendums every year. The Seanad referendum, as has been repeated ad nausaum, is scheduled as next Autumn's referendum. The Amendment of the constitution (abolition of the Seanad) Bill will be going to cabinet in the first half of next year and most likely be going through the Oireachtas in September for a referendum in November, as was always the plan.

Red_93

Do they have the option to consider reforming it?
They should do anyway. In reality I doubt they will. Few countries our size in Europe with no layer of federal govt have a bicameral system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify because of cost etc.

TommyO'Brien

Really? I can't be the only one who believed that the Seanad abolition referendum was proposed for this year......
No next year. This year's two referendums were on the Fiscal Treaty and on children's rights.

Red_93

Interestingly enough, the seanad is mentioned something like 47 times in the constitution.

TommyO'Brien

Interestingly enough, the seanad is mentioned something like 47 times in the constitution.
Going from memory I think it is 27.

jackryan

From what I gather it is complicated the saenad is mentioned in the constitution a few times so taking it out is a bit more difficult. Hopefully next year and just to say even if we say no (Hopefully we will) this one will have to sit out till it is disolved.

TommyO'Brien

frosty

The Seanad is for favourite election losers and a lifetime gift of a big pension for certain favourites of the government...a sort of consolation prize

potholedogger

I am pretty sure that there was a referendum promised for this year on whether or not to abolish the Seanad. We are now into November, and I see nothing on it at all. Is this another in a long line of broken promises by this Government? Are they even going to go ahead with This?

PS Mods, I made a mistake regarding the timing of the referendum- can you close this thread, please?
This crop of senators must serve out this full Dail term according to the constitution.