Where's this bloody hurricane they've been predicting?

Jesus Wept

I cancelled plans for today on the basis of yesterday's Met Eireann storm warning. And yet it's still a perfectly calm (if slightly overcast) day here in Dublin. How are things down the West?

yehbut_nobut

see that big grey thing building in the left of the picture here ? At a guess I'd say that's it. - Satellite Images

seabhcan

I cancelled plans for today on the basis of yesterday's Met Eireann storm warning. And yet it's still a perfectly calm (if slightly overcast) day here in Dublin. How are things down the West?
They always said the worst would be Sunday night - I think you just weren't paying enough attention to the forecast.

Sierra

Here it is - http://i54.tinypic.com/19y1iq.jpg

It was never a hurricane (especially not Hurricane Tomas which is still in the Caribbean) - media outlets basically just made that up. Winds really should not be much of a concern, its the high tides which are placing coastal areas at risk.

Jesus Wept

They always said the worst would be Sunday night - I think you just weren't paying enough attention to the forecast.
That's great news - so I can head off now for my usual Sunday afternoon dip in the Forty Foot. Thanks.

wombat

Well, how about predictions of winds of up to 100 Km/Hr and torrential rain with major flooding?
They are preparing for high tides + storm force winds. A case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. By preparing for the worst, they will be able to deal with lesser problems, if on the other hand, they get the weather they predicted, you will have people complaining they did not do enough.

gijoe

It was a lovely morning in the West although it is just now getting overcast. This must be the longest calm before the storm ever!

uriah

Calm before the storm? Still waiting fro it down here in the south-west. Think it is forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

BTW, what is the problem Dubs have with positioning and direction?
Any place outside of Dublin is 'down'. For some commentators, it was 'down in Glenties', it is always 'down in Mayo/Galway, etc.
Do you lot ever look at a map?

Jesus Wept

Calm before the storm? Still waiting fro it down here in the south-west. Think it is forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

BTW, what is the problem Dubs have with positioning and direction?
Any place outside of Dublin is 'down'. For some commentators, it was 'down in Glenties', it is always 'down in Mayo/Galway, etc.
Do you lot ever look at a map?
Sorry to upset you. I'm actually not a Dub just happen to live in the place like half a million other culchies. Is "How are things up in the West?" more acceptable.

uriah

Sorry to upset you. I'm actually not a Dub just happen to live in the place like half a million other culchies. Is "How are things up in the West?" more acceptable.
Not upset. Just interested.
'In the west' would seem perfectly sensible, no ups or downs necessary.
It's just that the use of the 'down in X' is so often used by broadcasters and commentators.

Tammie

It has been eerily calm all morning in the south west, the sea gulls are flying inland and in the last half hour its gotton darker and the trees are beginning to rustle. :(

Jesus Wept

Not upset. Just interested.
'In the west' would seem perfectly sensible, no ups or downs necessary.
It's just that the use of the 'down in X' is so often used by broadcasters and commentators.
Actually, I think, "Over in the West" would be most appropriate. I'm from the South East myself and have always used the expressions, "Up in Dublin, up in Belfast, up in Donegal". There is a certain geographic logic to this.

Vote_No_on_Everything

It has been eerily calm all morning in the south west, the sea gulls are flying inland and in the last half hour its gotton darker and the trees are beginning to rustle. :(
Youve been watching Alfred Hitchcocks 'The Birds' again.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies