Which issues will dominate the election?

wombat

My opinion is that after the first week, the issue which caused the election will fade into the background. I think that the election will be decided by voters' self interestas usual and that issues such as the health service or housing crisis will be secondary for most voters.

HarshBuzz

1. the money in my pocket

2. nothing else really

Lúidín

There will be no issues on the airwaves - just the shouting-down of politicians by media stars who consider their performances to be more important than the views of TDs, Ministers and candidates.

Any politician that allows him or herself to be treated with disrespect will not get my vote and I will not be listening in to the interminable babble.

ger12

My opinion is that after the first week, the issue which caused the election will fade into the background. I think that the election will be decided by voters' self interestas usual and that issues such as the health service or housing crisis will be secondary for most voters.
First, what role did former AG now Justice Maire Whelan play in the current crisis?

Homelessness is out there. Abortion too.

galteeman

The indo are running a very anti FF and Sinn Fein headline today anyway. The FF-Sinn Fein axis threatens our Brexit talks etc.

sic transit

First, what role did former AG now Justice Maire Whelan play in the current crisis?

Homelessness is out there. Abortion too.
Money in pocket, housing/homelessness and health. The A word is really not an election issue. Questions about Maire Whelan would stump most candidates never mind punters.

ger12

Money in pocket, housing/homelessness and health. The A word is really not an election issue. Questions about Maire Whelan would stump most candidates never mind punters.
Katie Hannon "So the mystery man passing on info re the Garda Commissioner's strategy was no less than the Deputy Director General of the Office of the Attorney General Office Richard Barrett."

Maire Whelan is now sitting on the Bench :mad:

You think Irish people are too stupid to understand the potential implications? Is this why FF were so angry with her appointment?

sic transit

Katie Hannon "So the mystery man passing on info re the Garda Commissioner's strategy was no less than the Deputy Director General of the Office of the Attorney General Office Richard Barrett."

Maire Whelan is now sitting on the Bench :mad:

You think Irish people are too stupid to understand the potential implications? Is this why FF were so angry with her appointment?
Irish people are likely to have forgotten who she is and why they're being asked the questions or being told about some judge during an election campaign. This is anorak stuff and may well affect your vote but for most people it really won't impinge on their world.

ger12

Irish people are likely to have forgotten who she is and why they're being asked the questions or being told about some judge during an election campaign. This is anorak stuff and may well affect your vote but for most people it really won't impinge on their world.
People who exercise their right to vote are neither ignorant or disinterested.

"Some judge" eh ... no, she's not some judge.

sic transit

People who exercise their right to vote are neither ignorant or disinterested.

"Some judge" eh ... no, she's not some judge.
Well to an average voter she is and it's far too complex and maybe dull an issue to chat about at the door and I've no idea how you'd get it into election material in a eye-catching way. Anyway wasn't she Labour? They've already been smacked very hard.

Last edited:

im axeled

as time passes the more educated voters will have a vote, the day of my father voted for them is slowly coming to an end

ThatsReasonable

In Dublin housing will resonate on the doorsteps in a big way. When our capital city is rated 49th of of 52 western cities to live in for quality of life you know there are problems. People will fall into one of a few categories

* paying huge mortgage for mediocre homes
* unable to buy first home
* paying huge rent
* living in low quality housing
* worried whether their kids will ever be able to have a home of their own.

That covers most of the electorate. And it's a massive political failure.

fergal1790

Halligan the Alien tool will still be looking for a cath lab in Waterford!

sic transit

In Dublin housing will resonate on the doorsteps in a big way. When our capital city is rated 49th of of 52 western cities to live in for quality of life you know there are problems. People will fall into one of a few categories

* paying huge mortgage for mediocre homes
* unable to buy first home
* paying huge rent
* living in low quality housing
* worried whether their kids will ever be able to have a home of their own.

That covers most of the electorate. And it's a massive political failure.
And yet nobody has much of a credible answer!

ger12

Well to an average voter she is and it's far too complex and maybe dull an issue to chat about at the door and I've no idea how you'd get it into election material in a eye-catching way. Anyway wasn't she Labour? They've already been smacked very hard.
Dull? Complex? No it's not.

Did the AG enable the Gardaí to undermine McCabe at the O'Higgins Commission? Couldn't the Minister have sent in her own legal team to disassociate the Government from the Garda Commissioners stragety?

You really think that Josephine soap hasn't been taking an interest in this?

sic transit

as time passes the more educated voters will have a vote, the day of my father voted for them is slowly coming to an end
Still comes down to brass tacks in elections. Educated does not equate with an interest in politics!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies