• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Which of our politicians would decriminalise cannabis ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
This is not intended to be a thread on whether or not cannabis ought to be decriminalised.

It is wondering which of our politicians might get this moving ?

Do we have any liberal minded TDs who would speak out ?

E.g.

CNN
The U.S. should stop arresting responsible marijuana users, Rep. Barney Frank said Wednesday, announcing a proposal to end federal penalties for Americans carrying fewer than 100 grams, almost a quarter-pound, of the substance.

"The vast amount of human activity ought to be none of the government's business," Frank said during a Capitol Hill news conference. "I don't think it is the government's business to tell you how to spend your leisure time."

The Massachusetts Democrat and his supporters

likened Frank's proposal -- co-sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas -- to current laws dealing with alcohol consumption. Alcohol use is permitted, and the government focuses its law enforcement efforts on those who abuse alcohol or drive under its influence, he said.

Reps. William Lacy Clay, D-Missouri, and Barbara Lee, D-California, said that in addition to targeting nonviolent offenders, U.S. marijuana laws also unfairly target African-Americans.
It took FF to decriminalise homosexuality - what of our "socially liberal parties" - Greens, PDs, Labour ?

cYp

stewiegriffin

Not one would have the liathroidi . Some of them like to pretend to be ' down with the kids ' in hot press interviews and such but in reality they dont want to be too controversial .In fact I have more respect for the straight up reactionary conservatives than the pretend 'social liberals' in the green/labour parties .

The Collective.

Yer man Sargent is infavour of legalising cannabis.

stanley

TBH I think Bertie is on the gear all the time that grin of his is permanent, he completely ignores everybody around him, his speech is continuously slurred and never answers the questions he's asked only rambles on about what he wants to say.

atlantic

Biffo he likes a smoke of the jamacian baccy.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
But would Biffo or Sargent get up on their hindlegs and introduce a Bill with free-vote ?

I find it weird that the US is ahead of us here ... are our politicians really less socially liberal ?

cYp

spalpeen

stanley said:
TBH I think Bertie is on the gear all the time that grin of his is permanent, he completely ignores everybody around him, his speech is continuously slurred and never answers the questions he's asked only rambles on about what he wants to say.
Thats it !! That explains everything :lol:

campbeca

cyberianpan said:
But would Biffo or Sargent get up on their hindlegs and introduce a Bill with free-vote ?

I find it weird that the US is ahead of us here ... are our politicians really less socially liberal ?
cYp
America is a FAR more liberal political culture.

Bawbag

Which of our politicians would decriminalise cannibals?

Let's see

Brian Cowen
Mary Harney
Willie O'Dea
Enda Kenny
who else?

lyingeyes98

When you have a shower that think an amendment on the availability (or non-availability) of abortion will fix the Lisbon vote, it is fair to say that there is no hope of any of our TDs actually proposing decrimilisation.

The closest we might hope for is an "irish" solution where the police turned a blind eye - a bit like the provisional licences.

Bogwarrior

At the very least, and in the interest of the environment they could decriminalise the use of hemp for paper and other products.
If they cannot, can some journalist ask them for an explanation as to why not?

rightsofman

Maybe a good compromise would be to allow people to grow their own cannabis plants, for use in their own homes, while retaining the existing status quo of illegality of possession and supply.

We don't need to go the route of licensing coffee-shops or dispensaries. If a person wants to smoke a joint in their own home, they should be allowed to, if they try to sell drugs to minors or anybody else on the street, they should be arrested. If they are walking down O'Connell st with a bag of cannabis in their pocket, they should also be arrested. Anyone who enjoys a joint in the privacy of their own home for whatever reason should have the right to do that.

However, I don't have faith in any current politician to recognise that point of view, or maybe more accurately, I don't think they would take a chance on it being something that could garner votes for them.

Corcaigh33

Hard to discuss this topic without commenting on the merits of decriminalising it. I don't believe it should be decriminalised and given that I doubt there is anyone in either FF or FG that would want it decriminalised (at least publicly), I doubt it will happen as they will be the majority partner in any government.

geraghd

cyberianpan said:
This is not intended to be a thread on whether or not cannabis ought to be decriminalised.

E.g.

It took FF to decriminalise homosexuality - what of our "socially liberal parties" - Greens, PDs, Labour ?

cYp
Point of Information: Was it not a European Court case that forced the govt of the day to decriminalise homosexuality?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Corcaigh33 said:
Hard to discuss this topic without commenting on the merits of decriminalising it. I don't believe it should be decriminalised and given that I doubt there is anyone in either FF or FG that would want it decriminalised (at least publicly), I doubt it will happen as they will be the majority partner in any government.
There's probably thousands of posts on decriminalising pot on p.ie ... I appreciate a thread like this needs to stray a little towards the substantive issue but It'd be more helpful to confine it.

Barry Andrews struck me as a possibility for FF.... Deasy for FG but maybe that's me just getting sidetracked by his "rebel" image.

cYp

Corcaigh33

cyberianpan said:
Corcaigh33 said:
There's probably thousands of posts on decriminalising pot on p.ie ... I appreciate a thread like this needs to stray a little towards the substantive issue but It'd be more helpful to confine it.

Barry Andrews struck me as a possibility for FF.... Deasy for FG but maybe that's me just getting sidetracked by his "rebel" image.

cYp
Yea that's fair enough, I wasn't trying to make it a substantive issue thread.

Furze

Let me ponder for a nano-second –
Not one of them.
Hold on – unless some obscure backbencher (urban) who need to up his/her national profile.
Hold on – unless some prominent Green that wishes to deflect on the real issues that are
affecting us.
Utter nonsense!

baldur0300

geraghd said:
cyberianpan said:

E.g.

cYp
Point of Information: Was it not a European Court case that forced the govt of the day to decriminalise homosexuality?
The ECtHR's decision was non-binding so nothing was forced upon the government. I suppose the case could be described as the inspiration to clean up the law by eliminating the statute.

baldur0300

cyberianpan said:

E.g.

CNN
The U.S. should stop arresting responsible marijuana users, Rep. Barney Frank said Wednesday, announcing a proposal to end federal penalties for Americans carrying fewer than 100 grams, almost a quarter-pound, of the substance.

"The vast amount of human activity ought to be none of the government's business," Frank said during a Capitol Hill news conference. "I don't think it is the government's business to tell you how to spend your leisure time."

The Massachusetts Democrat and his supporters

likened Frank's proposal -- co-sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas -- to current laws dealing with alcohol consumption. Alcohol use is permitted, and the government focuses its law enforcement efforts on those who abuse alcohol or drive under its influence, he said.

Reps. William Lacy Clay, D-Missouri, and Barbara Lee, D-California, said that in addition to targeting nonviolent offenders, U.S. marijuana laws also unfairly target African-Americans.

cYp
I would suggest that the possibility of cannabis legalisation is low. Government policy for years has been directed towards making smoking an anti-social habit. I doubt very much that the Government would then legalise a similar practice. It's always possible that an urban TD might want to get some headlines and come out with a legalisation proposal but no matter the constituency such a move could backfire quite badly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies