Which of these EUropean tribes do you belong to?

razorblade

Its purely down to Merkel why so many have turned against the EU prior to her the majority of the population looked on it far more favorably but her bullying tactics towards other European countries have turned people off it in droves and will continue to do so the longer she remains at the helm.

forest

thats easy I am a federalist
although I am not wealthy and wouldnt describe myself having a "strong and diverse social networks"

Beachcomber

https://tribes.chathamhouse.org/take-the-test

A Chatham House report disputes a binary pro-/anti- EU divide, instead finding six 'tribes' of EUrope.

Which of these European tribes do you belong to? | Euronews

Only 22% occupy the end-of-spectrum views of EU rejection vs complete federalism. The great majority want the EU in some form but are wary of diluting national sovereignty.

I'm in the Contented European group - not surprising as I've lived in 4 EU countries, married a non-Irish European and have worked for years in roles that benefit from the single market and the Euro. Interested to see how other Pie.sters fare.
Regarding number 2:

What does "tend to favour the status quo over further immigration" mean?

forest

its "further integration"

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Beh.

I reject any notion that there are six categories of European citizen in the same way I dismiss anyone standing before any group of people claiming that there are /5/7/9 types of people in any situation.

It is convenient for someone who wishes to tidy up data for their presentation to have a handy number of categories but in reality such categories don't really mean much.

SEAMAI

A mix of 1 and 3, though I wouldn't consider myself apathetic to politics or that socially conservative.

LISTOWEL MAN

that man i complained about at the youth club when i was a teen

i reckon he belongs to the pedo tribe

O'Quisling

Sorry. But the paradigm is arse about face.

None of these categories apply to me.

The EU is the b4stard child of the Marshall Plan. The elites in charge of the monster that is the USA wants Total Spectrum Dominance.

Germany is allowed to control Europe, as long as the German-dominated EU complies with US dominance of the globe.

Hillmanhunter1

Group 6 - a federalist!

Niall996

I'm part of the Pre Celtic Irish, Celtic Irish, Viking, Norman, Gaelic/Scottish Atlantic Tribe with a bit of Germanic Anglo Saxon in there somewhere and possobly some Meditereranean Galatian/Egyption elements. So pro European but a Europe that embraces all of us. Not a French autocracy. So No. 1.

I don't know anyone who doesn't at least want out of the Euro outside of creepy people I have to entertain occasionally because they are connected to my husband professionally.
I really find it difficult to believe that you and your friends constitute any form of typical sample of Europeans.

JamieD

Um, I don't belong to any of those "tribes" and have had different views on the EU over time. I admit to having a worsening view of it, but then Juncker, Verhofstadt and people like him don't make it easy, do they?

I think polls are very misleading too. Hell, if you asked me has Ireland benefited from the European project I'd say yes. We abandoned national protectionism and isolationism (to a degree at least) in the 70s and that had tremendous benefits. However, I also feel it hasn't all been good all the time and the best things about our integration in Europe happened a long time ago. Our benefits have diminished and I'm skeptical that we need absolutely any "more Europe" now.

Yet, a pollster may count me as supportive because I know our joining the EEC was a good idea at the time and had a good effect.

You find out people's feelings on the EU when they directly vote on it, because that invites a public debate on it. I always have to laugh when Europeans call Brits stupid for Brexit, but then wouldn't dream of running an in-out referendum on the EU. When Cameron called the referendum, the support for Remain was very high, way ahead in the polls. It completely lost its lead in the run up to the referendum. The same thing would happen here... if Leo announced a referendum would be held in 2018, the polls would show overwhelmingly that we'd stay, but I bet you it would narrow to 50/50 before voting day... and we're a country the EU is optimistic about in terms of support and despite past rejections.

Italy would certainly vote to Leave. Several far up North would also likely do so. Heck, one of the fastest growing parties in Norway, which isn't even a member of the EU, wants Norway out of the EEA because it gives the EU some control over Norway that it didn't get by direct consent from voters.

farnaby

Um, I don't belong to any of those "tribes" and have had different views on the EU over time. I admit to having a worsening view of it, but then Juncker, Verhofstadt and people like him don't make it easy, do they?
Yet you sound very much like the "hesitant European", the largest category.

JamieD

Yet you sound very much like the "hesitant European", the largest category.
I'm not a hesitant European at all. The Irish are European, just like the Swiss and Norwegians. European != EU!

My only point is I've probably fit in multiple categories over time. I used to actually be fairly close to a federalist up to around ~2008 or so, but following things since my view of the EU has diminished in a way. Let's say in 2008 I assumed far more political integration would be a net good. Now I think it would be a net bad etc.

Al.

Federalists (8 percent): They make up the smallest tribe. They support a deeply integrated ‘United States of Europe’
That is not the definition of federalism. At all. That is the definition of imperialism. Federalism is about the rights of nation-states and a loose integration.

And why am I not surprised that the EU is being described in terms of tribalism? Not to mention the refusal here to name the individual nations versus these "tribes".

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom