Which parties are in favour of another Abortion referendum?

ocoonassa

Not sure but I know they're all firmly in favour of pursuing policies to abort our future

pujols

Selkies,

I reckon you might be better trying this thread another time. All anyone seems to want to do today on any topic is take potshots at the Government. I reckon a thread on the relevance of the food pyramid in Middle Earth would end up being about the evil of Fianna Fail.

You raise a good question. I have the feeling that very few politicians, and none of the parties, are willing to tackle this issue in the run-up to a general election. The history of these referenda and the absence of an immediate catalyst to force the issue one way or the other will mean that it is studiously ignored for the foreseeable future.

reknaw

Back in the 1970s, with pressure mounting on the Irish Government to legalise contraception, it finally compromised and passed legislation allowing married couples to obtain condoms on prescription.

Hard to believe, but true. Charles J. Haughey famously defended it as "an Irish solution to an Irish problem".:rolleyes:

Abortion is still too hot a potato for any of the main parties to go anywhere near. The kiddy fiddler church and various American-style evangelical groups still have too much capacity to stir up a lot of trouble for any politician with the temerity to suggest that a woman should have control over her own reproductive organs.:eek:

Besides, it doesn't really matter terribly much, because we found an Irish solution to also this problem decades ago. That solution is called "England".:):)

jerry springer

Oh Great
Thats all we need another Ref on Abortion .. Yep why not go ahead and throw in Divorce and easy availabilty of Condoms as well
At least it will give us something to do while others run the country for us

Cato

None of the political parties want this. They would run a mile from it as it would simply cause too much division among the supporters of all the parties and there is no political advantage and much disadvantage to any party pushing it.

Has anyone noticed the 'Youth Defense' billboard campaign?

I cannot figure out what their point is. We were all embryos - seems a little obvious.

Jerry - we could do with another divorce referendum. The current law is too restrictive.

Didimus

The Labour believes that changing the law to deal with the imlplications of the x case is what is needed. No referendum needed.

Sync

Yeah labour were certainly the only major party pushing for any sort of change: De Rossa Website

Although I'm sure they'll shut up about it for the forseeable future. As Cato very accurately mentioned, it's a vote loser.

borntorum

I cannot figure out what their point is. We were all embryos - seems a little obvious.

I'm guessing that they're trying to suggest that any of us could have been aborted before birth.

But if I had been aborted, I wouldn't know or care too much about it now, would I?

Mitsui2

Back in the 1970s, with pressure mounting on the Irish Government to legalise contraception, it finally compromised and passed legislation allowing married couples to obtain condoms on prescription.

Hard to believe, but true. Charles J. Haughey famously defended it as "an Irish solution to an Irish problem".:rolleyes:

Abortion is still too hot a potato for any of the main parties to go anywhere near. The kiddy fiddler church and various American-style evangelical groups still have too much capacity to stir up a lot of trouble for any politician with the temerity to suggest that a woman should have control over her own reproductive organs.:eek:

Besides, it doesn't really matter terribly much, because we found an Irish solution to also this problem decades ago. That solution is called "England".:):)
+1

Can't think of anything to add.

Though it would be fascinating (theoretically) to see whether a modern referendum on the subject would be as viciously divisive as the original '80s one was.The closest thing I've seen since to that was the madness around the second Lisbon vote - and that still didn't match the '80s craziness.

Monday Monday

When the Brits get into a spot of domestic bother they start a war, the Irish get an abortion (or divorce) referendum going.

So, I fully expect to be scrapping over abortion and checking out the "brave boys" exploits in Kombleckistan by May 2011.

SilverSpurs

Absolutely stunned. A yd poster thats actually good and will appeal to the undecided. My bets are that the church and the plc were offered another referendum to get their backing for Lisbon.

Cato

Absolutely stunned. A yd poster thats actually good and will appeal to the undecided. My bets are that the church and the plc were offered another referendum to get their backing for Lisbon.
While I do agree that it looks good, I still fail to see how it could alter anyone's opinion. It's just so blindingly obvious that we all started as embryos. Maybe there is some appeal to the emotions that I am missing, but I do tend to filter out irrelevant stuff like that from any argument.

Sync

While I do agree that it looks good, I still fail to see how it could alter anyone's opinion. It's just so blindingly obvious that we all started as embryos. Maybe there is some appeal to the emotions that I am missing, but I do tend to filter out irrelevant stuff like that from any argument.
I often think they're advertising more towards politicians and public figures than anyone else. Keeps the issue in their minds as an issue to avoid (Which sounds odd I know)

I'd very much agree with SS, it's a great ad. I'm pro-choice, but there's nothing you can object to in it, that's the beauty of the ad. Often times you can point to the more far right groups and say the ad is distasteful or sexist etc etc. All this Ad is saying is "Isn't life nice". Which as you say, everyone agrees with.

terence

To answer the op Labour and Sinn Fein.
So I can never vote for either parties as I am pro life.
I would actually welcome a referendum on abortion with a clear cut question
Should the Constitution allow for abortion in this country upto a certain time.
No wishy washy rubbish.
Yes or no to abortion once and for all.
I would be very confident it would be a no. If it is such a vote loser does not not tell us that the countries population are against abortion?

I do not want to get into right or wrong of abortion but they are my thoughts.

fluffykontbiscuits

Good post reknaw, the last point is very true as funny as it may seem ! "Whats that chungwan, your preggers? On the boat ya go".....!

Didimus

"
"The longstanding policy of the Party is that legislation should be introduced to give effect to the X case judgement and to give legal protection for current medical practice.
"It is also longstanding Labour policy that the complexities of this issue make it unsuited to either a referendum or a constitutional amendment. This view is reinforced by the divisiveness, lack of clarity and ultimate defeat of the two previous constitutional referenda on this matter and by the comments of some members of the Supreme Court in the X Case, criticising the failure of the legislature to bring forward legislation.
"It is recognised that this approach is not capable of dealing with all the reasons which lead Irish women to seek abortions abroad. In part, these need to be addressed through counselling, better family planning and sex education, including implementation of the schools based programme introduced by the Labour Party in Government. This preventive approach requires a far greater degree of urgency and resources.
"Despite a wide divergence of views on the issue of abortion, there is a broad concern that there should be some legislative provision for termination of pregnancy in the case of rape or incest. Legal advice indicates, however, that it would not be possible to bring forward legislation dealing with these issues in their own right under the current constitutional position. While pregnancies arising from these circumstances could, in some limited cases, be dealt with under the proposals set out below, comprehensive action on these issues in their own right would require a referendum for a constitutional amendment."
Choice Ireland | A web site of pro-choice activists in Ireland

fluffykontbiscuits

A bit classist?
Considering Im from Ballyfermot I would hardly think so and plus its a tongue in cheek reference if its any help

"Sorcha dah-ling, dont have that child you may ruin the new rug, I shall fly you first class on BA and have the chaffeur drive you to the clinic upon arrival"

Happy now ;)

New Threads

Most Replies