Whining journalist on front page of the Irish Times website

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I must admit that this article left me feeling quite superior and smug. Not because I am from Dublin (as if that would be a reason to be smug, it isn't) but because I think I could probably disguise my resentment a bit better and not blast it all over a national newspaper.

Why I am trying really, really hard to pretend living way out in the commuter belt doesn't bother me.

(If you run out of ''free'' articles, simply use the Incognito Mode in Chrome or Private Browsing mode in Firefox to get around the limit - I also had to change the title for two reasons, first because mine gives more sense to the article and second, because apparently, according to the moderation team, we are not allowed post article titles.)

Anyway, poor Ed doesn't like Dublin, he says that ''I’m glad I can’t afford to live in Dublin'' yet then goes on at the end of the article to say ''soaring house prices left me with no choice but to eventually leave. For the past 15 years I’ve lived in the commuting nether regions of north Kildare.'' In essence, I'd still be living in Dublin if I could?

The whole article made me laugh, not with the author but at him. Boo hoo poor lad can't afford a home in Dublin, but he doesn't care because warble warble South Dubliner's don't go to mass, apparently we all 'venerate' Guinness & Bewleys (who, when, what?), he doesn't like Dublin GAA football and there isn't enough skyscrapers for him?

He also sticks in the boot into Dubliners 'Irishness' for some reason ''Certainly all the friends I have made in Dublin have been from outside the city. When we interact with natives we find them not quite like the rest of us – Irish but with an asterisk.''

So now Ed is the arbitrator or what does and does not constitute 'Irishness'? Fair enough, you go ahead Ed, perhaps a career in teaching the essence of Irishness awaits!

It's pretty funny stuff if you enjoy reading the words of a man desperately envious of those of us who live in what he seems to view as pseudo Ireland (yet only left when 'forced to').

And people wonder why the likes of the IT is not doing to great when this is what is stuck up on the front page.

As for Ed, maybe some time working on decent articles might give you enough money to move back to Dublin, eh?

:lol:

*EPIC SUCCESS*

He has the Dubs nailed spot on.
Really? I've lived here most of my adult life and I have yet to meet anyone like those he describes? Mind you, if he writing for the Irish Times, maybe he thinks they are representative of the average Dubliner?

The Field Marshal

Ed Power is clearly a culchie unable to hack it in Dublin.

That he would then pen an ugly poisonous whinge of such monstrous proportions is entirely in character with people unable to hack it in Irelands great capitol city.

Power is not even a proper Irish name so it,s a bit rich for that columnist to be adjudicating on what constitutes Irishness.

All in all just another piece of turgid trash from the irish Times.

The Field Marshal

He has the Dubs nailed spot on.
Power is not an Irish name and his ugly whingefest is typical of blow in culchies unable to make it in Irelands great capitol city.

Orbit v2

Some rant all right. He gives out about one crowd of Dubs who scoff at the GAA, and another crowd who seem to love it, but not the right away.

Sync

Wow. That's certainly something. There's a lot of "I never liked her, I'm glad she dumped me and won't take me back, here's all the stuff that's wrong with her" going on there.

Betson

Really? I've lived here most of my adult life and I have yet to meet anyone like those he describes? Mind you, if he writing for the Irish Times, maybe he thinks they are representative of the average Dubliner?
I was only joking as was the writer , not a very witty article but clearly tongue in check dreamt up in a editorial meeting in the IT in attempt to get noticed , maybe a spin on Liveline with Joe etc etc.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Wow. That's certainly something. There's a lot of "I never liked her, I'm glad she dumped me and won't take me back, here's all the stuff that's wrong with her" going on there.
Indeed. There is much that you could criticise about Dublin and I'd probably be in agreement with much of it, but the sense of resentment just turns it into an absurd rant about 'stuff that gets up his nose'.

I'm genuinely perplexed though as where the got the whole veneration of Guinness and Bewleys?

The Field Marshal

I was only joking as was the writer , not a very witty article but clearly tongue in check dreamt up in a editorial meeting in the IT in attempt to get noticed , maybe a spin on Liveline with Joe etc etc.
Most tongue in cheek articles I have read are not bitter in essence.

Powers article contains the true dregs of a disappointed sour culchie .

borntorum

It's clickbaiting ************************ like this and every single Una Mullally article ever that means I would rather poke myself in the eye with a rusty spear than pay for an Irish Times subscription.

The Field Marshal

Indeed. There is much that you could criticise about Dublin and I'd probably be in agreement with much of it, but the sense of resentment just turns it into an absurd rant about 'stuff that gets up his nose'.

I'm genuinely perplexed though as where the got the whole veneration of Guinness and Bewleys?
Basically that is a "culchie construct" perpetuated by the many country yokels that flocked into RTE from the 70,s onwards , on high paid salaries, dazzled by their first sight of a real cafeteria and a real brewery.

Betson

It's clickbaiting ************************ like this and every single Una Mullally article ever that means I would rather poke myself in the eye with a rusty spear than pay for an Irish Times subscription.
At least the article did not mention sexism or racism , making it a rarity in the IT.

The latest circulation figures show them falling off quite a bit , not surprising really.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

It's clickbaiting ************************ like this and every single Una Doollally article ever that means I would rather poke myself in the eye with a rusty spear than pay for an Irish Times subscription.
Apologies for editing your post but you appeared to have spelled her name incorrectly. I have corrected above.

;)

artfoley56

I must admit that this article left me feeling quite superior and smug. Not because I am from Dublin (as if that would be a reason to be smug, it isn't) but because I think I could probably disguise my resentment a bit better and not blast it all over a national newspaper.

Why I am trying really, really hard to pretend living way out in the commuter belt doesn't bother me.

(If you run out of ''free'' articles, simply use the Incognito Mode in Chrome or Private Browsing mode in Firefox to get around the limit - I also had to change the title for two reasons, first because mine gives more sense to the article and second, because apparently, according to the moderation team, we are not allowed post article titles.)

Anyway, poor Ed doesn't like Dublin, he says that ''I’m glad I can’t afford to live in Dublin'' yet then goes on at the end of the article to say ''soaring house prices left me with no choice but to eventually leave. For the past 15 years I’ve lived in the commuting nether regions of north Kildare.'' In essence, I'd still be living in Dublin if I could?

The whole article made me laugh, not with the author but at him. Boo hoo poor lad can't afford a home in Dublin, but he doesn't care because warble warble South Dubliner's don't go to mass, apparently we all 'venerate' Guinness & Bewleys (who, when, what?), he doesn't like Dublin GAA football and there isn't enough skyscrapers for him?

He also sticks in the boot into Dubliners 'Irishness' for some reason ''Certainly all the friends I have made in Dublin have been from outside the city. When we interact with natives we find them not quite like the rest of us – Irish but with an asterisk.''

So now Ed is the arbitrator or what does and does not constitute 'Irishness'? Fair enough, you go ahead Ed, perhaps a career in teaching the essence of Irishness awaits!

It's pretty funny stuff if you enjoy reading the words of a man desperately envious of those of us who live in what he seems to view as pseudo Ireland (yet only left when 'forced to').

And people wonder why the likes of the IT is not doing to great when this is what is stuck up on the front page.

As for Ed, maybe some time working on decent articles might give you enough money to move back to Dublin, eh?

:lol:
not a journalist. as usual form the IT it's an opinion piece masquerading as journalism.

The Field Marshal

At least the article did not mention sexism or racism , making it a rarity in the IT.

The latest circulation figures show them falling off quite a bit , not surprising really.
Their circulation is down because the dominant liberal ethos at top management level has killed off any independent or alternative viewpoint.

The paper remains mired in a soggy morass of received, mostly false ideas , dredged from the bankrupt ideologies of false secular humanism and gender equality.

New Threads

Most Replies