White Collar Boxing.

gerhard dengler

Have any of ye tried it?

I participated in several sports throughout my younger days, and in my not so younger days.
Nowadays if my club are really stuck, I am prepared to make up the numbers if required on the basis that my participation won't necessarily secure victory but it could well prevent defeat.

Team mates in various different codes that I used to participate in, keep in touch. And one of these guys has asked me if I would be prepared to take part in WCB. Have any of ye here tried it?

max99

Tried it once.. .Never again.. Was a pure fix by the judges.... :roll:

hollandia

Have any of ye tried it?

I participated in several sports throughout my younger days, and in my not so younger days.
Nowadays if my club are really stuck, I am prepared to make up the numbers if required on the basis that my participation won't necessarily secure victory but it could well prevent defeat.

Team mates in various different codes that I used to participate in, keep in touch. And one of these guys has asked me if I would be prepared to take part in WCB. Have any of ye here tried it?
I like the training, but have absolutely no desire to get thumped repeatedly in the head.
And even if the circumstances were such that I was prepared to get into the ring, p.ie would be the last place I'd advertise it. Especially with the amount of people you've managed to p1ss off.

gerhard dengler

Tried it once.. .Never again.. Was a pure fix by the judges.... :roll:
Not fixed in your favour I take it?:D

Did you box ever before? Our club used to train with a certain boxing club back in the day. It was a form of cross training, but we didn't have to box as such.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I have a ticket to a White Collar Boxing match in May although I am in two minds about going.

Boxing to me is a sport and it can be a great one with an art and a skill but ever since the slide of boxing down to a sort of WWF and the advent of this cage-fighting caper I've lost interest in it.

The fellow I know who is fighting is a pretty good fighter but he isn't a boxer and to my mind a boxer will always beat a street-fighter.

Northsideman

stopdoingstuff

I don't know how old you are or your physical condition but if you still take the field in one event or another, you must be in reasonable shape. How much of a run up to they give you as far as the training goes? 8-12 weeks perhaps?

gerhard dengler

I don't know how old you are or your physical condition but if you still take the field in one event or another, you must be in reasonable shape. How much of a run up to they give you as far as the training goes? 8-12 weeks perhaps?
There's a three month prep for the bout. Training three nights a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
The contest is 3x2 minute rounds.

As regards my physical shape. I played rugby, cricket, soccer, when I was younger. I concentrated on rugby and cricket mostly. When I packed in playing rugby a few of us became involved in rowing and that's been a great adventure. I still help out with coaching and fitness work. We do Saturday morning drills at the Phoenix Park and they are torture. I try to keep in reasonable shape.

The White Collar stuff is to raise money for a good cause.

stopdoingstuff

There's a three month prep for the bout. Training three nights a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
The contest is 3x2 minute rounds.

As regards my physical shape. I played rugby, cricket, soccer, when I was younger. I concentrated on rugby and cricket mostly. When I packed in playing rugby a few of us became involved in rowing and that's been a great adventure. I still help out with coaching and fitness work. We do Saturday morning drills at the Phoenix Park and they are torture. I try to keep in reasonable shape.

The White Collar stuff is to raise money for a good cause.
Ok on that basis you will be grand fitness wise. Have you boxed before?

gerhard dengler

Ok on that basis you will be grand fitness wise. Have you boxed before?
Nothing formal.
Years ago our club linked up with a boxing club for training. The trainer use to get us mugs to done the gloves and headgear and box each other. It was good fun, but probably dreadful to have to watch :D

stopdoingstuff

Nothing formal.
Years ago our club linked up with a boxing club for training. The trainer use to get us mugs to done the gloves and headgear and box each other. It was good fun, but probably dreadful to have to watch :D
I'd say go for it. Fighting is a beautiful thing that really teaches a person about his or her self. Plus you deserve a beating for playing all those Protestant games.

stopdoingstuff

Have you done any WBC, or proper boxing even?
I have had a few fights in Muay Thai ie. Thai boxing and I still train and spar twice a week. While its not the same thing, it is similar enough for the purposes of this discussion.

Lúidín

It is only a matter of time before we see the first full contact with weapons contests.
It was very popular in the last days of previous empires.

Ellen Ripley

Can I be ring girl, Gerhard?

Still got it...:D

toastedheretic

You’ve got a coach/trainer?
Get as much sparring done as possible, pad work is great for conditioning and learning how to move but as the saying goes , everybody’s got a plan till they get punched in the face.
Keeping your guard up and your feet underneath you are about all you’ll clock in a couple of months.
An auld lad said to me years ago , everyone who gets under the ropes is a champ, he wasn’t to far wrong in much he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies