"White, male students called on last in some classrooms"

Vega1447

Controversy erupted recently after tweets from an Ivy League teaching assistant showed her admitting she only calls on white male students as a last resort.
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/38636/

In my view this may be well intended (responding to inequalities in society and so in the classroom). But it is probably illegal and is also certain to confirm negative perceptions of liberal academia. Again, imo, the classroom should be a place where all student voices are heard equally.

Interesting too that the teaching assistant in question makes no effort to "deprivilege" students who are economically advantaged (rich).

silverharp

The race baiting in the US is something else, between well-off guilty liberals and black racists some of these colleges are a mess. I hope companies start to black list (oops microaggression) students from these colleges.

blokesbloke

Sigh.

So much for "equality".

She is damaging those students education - all of them.

Deadlock

In my view this may be well intended (responding to inequalities in society and so in the classroom). But it is probably illegal and is also certain to confirm negative perceptions of liberal academia. Again, imo, the classroom should be a place where all student voices are heard equally.

Interesting too that the teaching assistant in question makes no effort to "deprivilege" students who are economically advantaged (rich).
It's a parity of ills in my opinion. In her rather stupid cack-handed way she is creating a minority de novo and then proceeds to stigmatise them. Her higher degrees need to stripped from her, her right to educate removed from her and she needs to be fired. There are other ways and means to engage students.

Trainwreck

Go fúck off to somewhere you can find a gigantic dildo to go and fúck yourself with.

Fúcking "well intentioned". Jesus H Christ.

Fritzbox

Probably only a problem in certain courses such as Sociology or Women's Studies.
I'd say it's a non-problem in third-year B.Eng Aerospace Engineering (Hons).

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Here follow some choice morsels from the article, by way of encouraging you to have a read yourself.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
In an article for Quillette.com on “Methods Behind the Campus Madness,” graduate researcher Sumantra Maitra of the University of Nottingham in England reported that 12 of the 13 academics at U.C. Berkeley who signed a letter to the chancellor protesting Yiannopoulos were from “Critical theory, Gender studies and Post-Colonial/Postmodernist/Marxist background.”

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
This is a shift in Marxist theory from class conflict to identity politics conflict; instead of judging people by the content of their character, they are now to be judged by the color of their skin (or their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, et cetera).

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
"Postmodernists have tried to hijack biology, have taken over large parts of political science, almost all of anthropology, history and English"

silverharp

This is a shift in Marxist theory from class conflict to identity politics conflict; instead of judging people by the content of their character, they are now to be judged by the color of their skin (or their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, et cetera).
it is simple if you view white people as the bourgeoisie then any behaviour towards "them" is acceptable.

Man or Mouse

Go fúck off to somewhere you can find a gigantic dildo to go and fúck yourself with.

Fúcking "well intentioned". Jesus H Christ.
Sounds like something Trump might do in between tweets at 3.00am.

Fritzbox

"Postmodernists have tried to hijack biology, have taken over large parts of political science, almost all of anthropology, history and English"
So even the engineers aren't safe either - I'm not flying in that plane!:eek:

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
“and have proliferated self-referential journals, citation circles, non-replicable research, and the curtailing of nuanced debate through activism and marches, instigating a bunch of gullible students to intimidate any opposing ideas.

NOTE: This phenomenon doesn't exist according to the usual wafflers. I suppose, if you've been steeped in this perversion of what academic rigour is supposed to be you probably can't see it. But that's gullibility for you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies