White people all look the same.

O

Oscurito

I recall a Chinese-American comedian appearing a few years ago on the Late Late Show quipping that his girlfriend had dumped him "for a guy that looks just like me". The joke was greeted with a frosty silence. Either the audience found it too politically incorrect to laugh or they didn't know the old trope that all Chinese people supposedly look the same.

It's a well known effect that has attracted controversy. White people often think that people of other ethnicities look alike. This is no minor issue to chuckle about: it can have major effects when, for example, witnesses of a crime are asked to choose the suspect from a line-up.

However according to this article that doesn't mean those who can't see the distinction are ignorant or racist; it's just that we're more attuned to differences within our own race. In any case, east Asians and Africans often report finding that Caucasians all look alike.

I've just come back from the Philippines and while there, I found myself being repeatedly confused with other white guys travelling in the group I was in. These confusions arose irrespective of age or hair colour. Only one guy was immune owing to his being very tall by Irish - never mind Filipino - standards.

And so, I was asked to pay for rounds of drinks someone else had ordered and - in one memorable moment - was thanked profusely for a large tip I hadn't given. Oh well, at least we all behaved impeccably. If one of us had committed a misdemeanour, who knows which of us would have been nabbed. :shock:

blinding

White People look very white to me....They should be more creative,,,,,,,,,,,

Eire1976

It's a bit more difficult for us as there isn't much difference in hair colour or style to some extent in some countries

Filibuster

People in certain parts of Ireland all look closely related. It's worrying!
Immigration might actually save us from "kissing cousins"

ne0ica

Reminds me of that article in the Guardian or Huffpost about LaLa Land being too white.

O

Oscurito

It's a bit more difficult for us as there isn't much difference in hair colour or style to some extent in some countries
Well, we rely on those features because we're used to them varying from person to person. If you live in a society where everyone has black hair and brown eyes, you learn to focus on other features to distinguish people.

Truth.ie

I think most of us can look at other white folk in the street and say "He's Scandinavian, he looks German, she looks Polish, they look Spanish."
Non whites probably could not tell the difference.

mr_anderson

I recall a Chinese-American comedian appearing a few years ago on the Late Late Show quipping that his girlfriend had dumped him "for a guy that looks just like me". The joke was greeted with a frosty silence. Either the audience found it too politically incorrect to laugh or they didn't know the old trope that all Chinese people supposedly look the same.

It's a well known effect that has attracted controversy. White people often think that people of other ethnicities look alike. This is no minor issue to chuckle about: it can have major effects when, for example, witnesses of a crime are asked to choose the suspect from a line-up.

However according to this article that doesn't mean those who can't see the distinction are ignorant or racist; it's just that we're more attuned to differences within our own race. In any case, east Asians and Africans often report finding that Caucasians all look alike.

I've just come back from the Philippines and while there, I found myself being repeatedly confused with other white guys travelling in the group I was in. These confusions arose irrespective of age or hair colour. Only one guy was immune owing to his being very tall by Irish - never mind Filipino - standards.

And so, I was asked to pay for rounds of drinks someone else had ordered and - in one memorable moment - was thanked profusely for a large tip I hadn't given. Oh well, at least we all behaved impeccably. If one of us had committed a misdemeanour, who knows which of us would have been nabbed. :shock:

Well known for a long time.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/neurophilosophy/2011/aug/15/people-other-races-look-alike

In the west we're conditioned to think that it's racist to be unable to distinguish between races.
And since only whitey can be racist, we think it's only us that do it.
In fact, it's completely normal.
Especially in homogeneous cultures.

My reckoning is that the audience didn't laugh at the joke because to laugh is deemed politically incorrect.

O

Oscurito

I think most of us can look at other white folk in the street and say "He's Scandinavian, he looks German, she looks Polish, they look Spanish."
Most whites are like that with Africans. There's a huge difference in facial structures between west Africa, Horn of Africa and southern Africa.

I wouldn't necessarily distinguish a European by a particular region. It's not as clear-cut as with Africans.

gleeful

Do you really walk around measuring people's potential foreigness? That explains a lot.

blinding

Just so long as they all don't drop their hat at the same time......A butterfly flapping its wings and all that...........

NMunsterman

Always reminds me of a classic episode "The Craw" from a classic series "Get Smart"..... -
the bit starting from about 0.35 ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftgAG3Vnif8

RasherHash

More pink than white really.

blinding

Do White people smell of Cheese when in big Groups....I have heard this but could do with some further clarification.............

former wesleyan

Well known for a long time.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/neurophilosophy/2011/aug/15/people-other-races-look-alike

In the west we're conditioned to think that it's racist to be unable to distinguish between races.
And since only whitey can be racist, we think it's only us that do it.
In fact, it's completely normal.
Especially in homogeneous cultures.

My reckoning is that the audience didn't laugh at the joke because to laugh is deemed politically incorrect.
It was a Late Late audience. They were waiting for someone to hold up a card saying " Laugh ".

New Threads

Most Replies