Whither pre-Christian souls?

Bobcolebrooke

Whether a cathedral be protestant or catholic is only of interest to protestants or catholics.

To the rest of us it is a navigational landmark at best. And to be quite honest with you whoever's brand is on it via a signpost outside is of no importance whatsoever.
Many of them are being converted to residential use in many cities around the World.

Beachcomber

A theological quandary has occurred to me - since the abolition of limbo, what would be the eschatological destiny of pagan, or perhaps more accurately pre-Christian, souls? Clearly, they can't enter heaven, having never been made aware of God, yet neither could they enter hell, as though Original Sin covers all mankind, how could pre-Christians sin against a religion or deity entirely unknown to them? God is incapable of error, yet why should He then decide to create individuals and make them deliberately unaware of His existence?

Wouldn't a caring, loving God let them into heaven anyway?

The ideas that you quote are Roman Catholic dogma, not actual Christianity.

Beachcomber

It was through pondering stuff like this as a teenager that the scales fell from my eyes and I realized that the whole thing had to be nonsense.

" Clearly, they can't enter heaven, having never been made aware of God, yet neither could they enter hell.."

Says who? If it turns out that the Limbo stuff was all nonsense, why shouldn't the rest of it be the same? Because the current bishop or Rome says so-as opposed to the Pope in, oh, say 1356?

Exactly.

If God exists then God will sort it out.

The decision about who gets into heaven or not is God's business, not the business of obsessed humans.

Beachcomber

Herod seems to have died four years before Christ was concieved ?

Did Christ exist as a God before he was born as a man? Were there only two persons in a Bi-entity before Jesus was born and formed a Trinity? Could Jesus really die if he had existed in some form for all time.

He died only in human form.

Are you asking if he died altogether in all forms?

McTell

Jesus said he was coming back in the lifetimes of his followers.

He didn't.

So he was a nice guy, but there are some obvious conclusions to draw.

petaljam

Exactly.

If God exists then God will sort it out.

The decision about who gets into heaven or not is God's business, not the business of obsessed humans.
It's the most fundamental issue for followers of Christianity though: "do X and you'll get to heaven, do Y and you're doomed to hell".

If the top guys start admitting they don't actually know what criteria are required, their whole raison d'être disappears.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Weird how 'faith' or belief in a god seems to translate always to a religion's priests.

Guess that's pretty much why the whole god industry exists.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Only once ever heard of someone challenging a priest/pastor/juju-stick shaker of some kind.

Elderly lady in the states not at all happy with the new priest's driving around in a cadillac.

Made an acerbic remark about the bling being inappropriate and the priest/cult-officer/whatever came back with 'But sister, jesus wants me to have this car'.

Her response was 'well jesus is telling me not to pay into the collection plate from now on'.

Fair play to her. You might be a believer but it doesn't mean you have to be universally illogical.

rainmaker

Administrator
since the abolition of limbo...
I'm sorry, I had to laugh. This sentence alone makes a complete mockery of organized religion - Is God restructuring again?

''We made this s***t up folks, all of it'' - George Carlin

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Never thought of that. The loon-cults around the world must be one of the few sectors of industry that cannot re-brand every time a senior boardroom member is detected a hundred yards up a seminarian, or worse, a child.

We should have a competition for a re-branding pitch for the catholic cult. Or protestant cult, or some of the funkier tribal corporations of the middle east.

Can you imagine the scene at Cat HQ in Rome.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen-, er, I mean 'gentlemen', our Brand Director Siobhan McDonald will take you through our presentation"-

300 male voices as one interrupt with 'Obejction! That there is a wimmin. She shud be at home barefoot and pregnant as the lord wanted!"

New Threads

Top Bottom