• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Whither pre-Christian souls?

The Field Marshal

The OP is both confused and theologically ignorant. Limbo has not been abolished by the catholic church . The concept "baptism of desire" covers the destiny of all pre Christian souls.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo

former wesleyan

Wikipedia's yer only man:

Virtuous pagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I'm assuming Virtuous mens something akin to Protestant , but the article doesn't say. Nor does it mention un-Virtuous Pagans, ie. the majority. Maybe they'll go to Hell, after Christ does his harrowing trick at the end of the world.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
A theological quandary has occurred to me - since the abolition of limbo, what would be the eschatological destiny of pagan, or perhaps more accurately pre-Christian, souls? Clearly, they can't enter heaven, having never been made aware of God, yet neither could they enter hell, as though Original Sin covers all mankind, how could pre-Christians sin against a religion or deity entirely unknown to them? God is incapable of error, yet why should He then decide to create individuals and make them deliberately unaware of His existence?
The same applies to all present day people who have never been "witnessed" (told about God). I'd say they are going to hell. Just because they don't know of their original sin, that doesn't mean they don't have it.
You can get a lot more information on issues such as this from the following easy-to-read tracts.
Complete list of Chick cartoon gospel tracts

The Field Marshal

The OP is not confused TFM. He is fully aware this will be yet another anti catholic thread.
- Some of the usual suspects have been on already . The concept of the disembodied soul and it's status is an intriguing one though. Catholicism tries give some answers which are consoling. Death itself remains mysterious and one can really only feel sympathy for atheists and such like types whose final thoughts can only be but that their ultimate destination is worm food or some other ghastly recyclable .

The Field Marshal

The same applies to all present day people who have never been "witnessed" (told about God). I'd say they are going to hell. Just because they don't know of their original sin, that doesn't mean they don't have it.
You can get a lot more information on issues such as this from the following easy-to-re?ad tracts.
Why would they go to Hell? It has always been the teaching of Catholicism that a person who through no fault of their own has never heard of God and who tries live a good life according to their conscience will indeed get to heaven. The concept baptism of desire covers such people. It would be a harsh God indeed who would punish people who have not offended seriously .

SideysGhost

You can get a lot more information on issues such as this from the following easy-to-read tracts.
You are a very bad man :lol:

I'd forgotten all about the Chick cartoons, not seen one in many years. Hilariously demented stuff

The Field Marshal

Sounds about as plausible as the whispered "Act of Contrition" into the ear of a newly qualified corpse.
Is that outburst meant to mean something or is it what it appears to be ie " the bitter ravings of a sad catholic"?

The Field Marshal

How do you define an "outburst" ? Would the above quote qualify as such ?
You were asked a question re what looked like the ravings of a sad catholic? Are you going to prevaricate or answer?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
You are a very bad man :lol:

I'd forgotten all about the Chick cartoons, not seen one in many years. Hilariously demented stuff
Excuse me, scoff all you want but Chick has the Bible on his side. If Chick is demented then the Bible is demented and of course that could not be the case.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Why would they go to Hell? It has always been the teaching of Catholicism that a person who through no fault of their own has never heard of God and who tries live a good life according to their conscience will indeed get to heaven. The concept baptism of desire covers such people. It would be a harsh God indeed who would punish people who have not offended seriously .
Which chapter and verse of the Bible informs the Catholic church of this phenomenon?

The Field Marshal

The only person "raving" seems to be yourself. Since you ask ....I have no religious affiliations.
You made an ugly and sneering reference to the Catholic tradition of whispering the act of contrition in a recently deceased persons ear something done immediately after a sudden unexpected death and when the viewpoint was that the soul may still be present in the body. I asked you to explain your jibe and now you say you have no religious affiliation. If you have no religious affiliation why are you sneering at the harmless practices of those who do?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
You made an ugly and sneering reference to the Catholic tradition of whispering the act of contrition in a recently deceased persons ear something done immediately after a sudden unexpected death and when the viewpoint was that the soul may still be present in the body. I asked you to explain your jibe and now you say you have no religious affiliation. If you have no religious affiliation why are you sneering at the harmless practices of those who do?
For once I agree with you. Each respect the other's beliefs or lack of. No-one try to enforce their religious beliefs as law. Reasonable, yes?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies