• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Whither pre-Christian souls?

Tawdy

Now as an avowed atheist, I really am not taken by this soul lark. BUT! If there was ever such a thing as a soul, which I really don`t believe so. Is there somewhere i could sorta dispose of it........like sell it! :lol:

SideysGhost

Now as an avowed atheist, I really am not taken by this soul lark. BUT! If there was ever such a thing as a soul, which I really don`t believe so. Is there somewhere i could sorta dispose of it........like sell it! :lol:
Yeah but what about a Buddhist soul?

"One soul, 47 previous owners, selling because of conversion to Islam, €400 o.n.o"

The Field Marshal

Easy. This guy will buy it.

eoghanacht

- Some of the usual suspects have been on already . The concept of the disembodied soul and it's status is an intriguing one though. Catholicism tries give some answers which are consoling. Death itself remains mysterious and one can really only feel sympathy for atheists and such like types whose final thoughts can only be but that their ultimate destination is worm food or some other ghastly recyclable .

You do realise your own body will be consumed by worms don't you unless you think your some sort of prophet who shall be carried up to heaven on the back of a white horse, which you probably do believe.

eoghanacht

The Field Marshal

I beg to differ. Pray tell where else do we get Christianity from?
Also, I'd be interested in TFM's take on this question.
Christianity precedes the Bible. It was the living roman catholic church that compiled and translated the books in that compendium and which conferred authority upon it. The Roman catholic church is a living continuum from its foundation 2000 yrs ago and derives it's authority and infallibility directly from God not from the bible.

Last edited:

44percent

I think the FM's avatar is the German First World War Field Marshal Von Mackensen. Well worth reading up on. I wonder what the connection is?

The Field Marshal

Aren't all your contributions just that?
No.
You do realise your own body will be consumed by worms don't you unless you think your some sort of prophet who shall be carried up to heaven on the back of a white horse, which you probably do believe.
I'm fully aware of what will happen to my body after I die. Had you bothered to read my post which is clearly way over your little head you would have understood that what I was alluding to the promise of eternal life held out to Christians and believers. As an atheist no doubt but that you will look forward to being consumed by worms but you cannot be certain that that will be end for you.

eoghanacht

No.

I'm fully aware of what will happen to my body after I die. Had you bothered to read my post which is clearly way over your little head you would have understood that what I was alluding to the promise of eternal life held out to Christians and believers. As an atheist no doubt but that you will look forward to being consumed by worms but you cannot be certain that that will be end for you.

Cremation for me and then nothingness, as it was in the beginning so it shall be in the end :)

No God, No heaven, No Devil nothing..........

Now post away ye mad man I need a good laugh

ruserious

Life is too short. The sinking of HMS Hood is on at 9pm on More4 followed by Inglorious Bastards at 10 on channel 4. Feck ye all. ;)

Bill

Because the whole of Christianity is derived from the Bible. Otherwise everyone could just make it up as they went along.
you could be onto something there

Bill

No.

it won't be , I suggest you look up how a human(or any other animal for that matter) body decomposes

The Field Marshal

it won't be , I suggest you look up how a human(or any other animal for that matter) body decomposes
I don't care one way or the other how a body decomposes or not [ there are bodies of some saints which have remained incorrupt able over centuries being another miracle of Catholicism ] . The real concern is what happens to the eternal human soul which departs the body after death.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies