Whither Saudi Arabia?

jimbohane

Are people really surprised that a country where weekly beheadings and limb amputations for crimes such as adultery and thievery take place would think twice about killing a journalist who was becoming an annoyance? The local plumbers will be busy clearing blocked drains when his remains are flushed into the sewer bit by bit.

middleground

Release of American pastor is very coincidental with Khasoggi case, wonder if it was a pay back for intelligence information?

A Turkish court ordered the release of an American pastor held for the past two years in Turkey in a case that sparked a crisis in relations with the United States.

mr_anderson

Are people really surprised that a country where weekly beheadings and limb amputations for crimes such as adultery and thievery take place would think twice about killing a journalist who was becoming an annoyance? The local plumbers will be busy clearing blocked drains when his remains are flushed into the sewer bit by bit.
Thank you !
I thought I was the only one confused by the furore created by this murder.
It's Saudi Arabia FFS, not the Vatican.
Murder is part & parcel of their Islamic 'rule of law'.

Whilst I'm not blaming Khashoggi at all - he was an utterly dumb fúck for walking in there.
What did he expect from the very regime he was criticising ?

mr_anderson

Release of American pastor is very coincidental with Khasoggi case, wonder if it was a pay back for intelligence information?

A Turkish court ordered the release of an American pastor held for the past two years in Turkey in a case that sparked a crisis in relations with the United States.
I'd say it's more down to Erdogan's failed attempt at cosying up to the Russians.
He thought he could pi$$ off the west by switching allegiances.
Unfortunately for him, turns out the enemy of my enemy is ... ehhh ... also my enemy.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

JacquesHughes

Habeas corpus? Need to find Khasoggi soon.

There's the long-standing 'friendship' between the Bush family and the House of Saud- completely incomprehensible.

Two weeks ago President Trump at the UN named King Salman as a 'reformer' ( embargo of Qatar, resignation of Hariri, invasion of Yemen)- reforming Saudi Arabia into what?

In a phone call he reminded the King, 'You might not last 2 weeks without our support. You need to pay [us more]'.

British military personnel are in Yemen or Saudi Arabia ( location classified) 'advising' the Saudi military on their 'targetting' in Yemen - because, it transpires, while Saudi Arabia has an exorbitant arsenal, bought at dizzying prices, they don't have the expertise to use it.

Trump has taken, only since becoming president, to confidently invoking God's approval of his works - is he aware that Saudi Arabia is a slightly crazy theocracy setting world-leading standards in intolerance? NO Christian public worship is allowed.Freedom of religion in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia

The Khasoggi disappearance may yet be explained; but to my mind the striking thing around it is; how the Saudi top brass had to go personally in their private jets to Istanbul and do it- there were no competent trustworthy people lower down the hierarchy!

Should we, in the west, rally round and 'support' Saudi Arabia? - are you mad?

publicrealm

Oh I know - we are accustomed to not expecting much; something about this tells me it's different though.

Karloff

A country that will have no friends at all when the oil runs out.

Somehow it is more shocking than poor PC Fletcher - not sure exactly why - perhaps the sheer premeditated awfulness of it.
They didn't just kill the guy they tortured him and then killed and dismembered him. Saudi believes they can act with total impunity as Israel does. What they already are doing in Yemen is proof that they can and do.

Ardillaun

They’d be better off hiring foreigners for their army and giving them citizenship. At least they might fight a bit better.

Karloff

They’d be better off hiring foreigners for their army and giving them citizenship. At least they might fight a bit better.
They have hired them, in huge numbers and use them in Yemen mainly Africans and South Americans (especially Colombians).

Citizenship ah! not likely.

Ardillaun

They have hired them, in huge numbers and use them in Yemen mainly Africans and South Americans (especially Colombians).

Citizenship ah! not likely.
They’re just mercenaries. You won’t find too many fighter pilots, cyberwarriors or brilliant officers from that crew. Why not aim high, set a rigorous bar of exams, hire the best young Muslims from any country and give them citizenship? Hint: South Asia is almost next door with more than half a billion to choose from. That would improve the national gene pool enormously but it’s hard to admit such blasphemies when you (Saudis) despise the foreigners who already run your country.

Last edited:

Hillmanhunter1

So, Jamal Khashoggi was wearing an Apple phone, and he had set it to record audio and transmit to a phone he had left with his fiancee. I don't own any Apple products so I don't know if this is plausible.
Turkish newspaper says Jamal Khashoggis slaying recorded on his Apple Watch | The Times of Israel

This may explain how the Turks may have audio evidence, but they claim to have video evidence too and that is as yet unexplained. Nevertheless the Turks obviously had the consulate under CCTV surveillance and therefore they know that Khashoggi did not walk out of the consulate.

The Great Orange Leader is now threatening "severe punishment" if regime involvement in the journalist’s death is confirmed, though that probably just means that he senses an opportunity for a shake-down.
Trump vows 'severe punishment' if Saudis killed Jamal Khashoggi | World news | The Guardian

The unknowable, for the moment at least, is whether all of this may have consequences for Mohammed bin Salman. There must be some factions of the House of Saud thinking the jettisoning MSB would solve a lot of problems.

mr_anderson

Why are the SAUDIES losing in YEMEN? - VisualPolitik EN

Nice, simple and well explained video on why Saudi is losing the war in Yemen.

[video=youtube;tbZlWugqZHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZlWugqZHk[/video]

yosef shompeter

The Kashoggi case is mighty strange and there is much more than meets the eye. I saw somewhere that there is a video from some surveillance camera trained on the sidewalk where the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul is situated. So no question, the place was under surveillance. "Shock and Horror! The couldn't could they"! Well that's modern times.
What I can't get my brain around is that Erdogan is no liberal saint. He executes people too does he not? How bout torture? Dunno myself, I'm no Turkey (...........expert that is) but I'd almost be thinking to myself "Why not?" States out there in the Bush do whawt they can get away with.
So why are they all upset about this one guy getting it in the neck.
In my humble opinion, it has to do with him being a journo. And working with the WaPo nonetheless. So all journalists and media stick together. they have to.

middleground

So, Jamal Khashoggi was wearing an Apple phone, and he had set it to record audio and transmit to a phone he had left with his fiancee. I don't own any Apple products so I don't know if this is plausible.
Turkish newspaper says Jamal Khashoggis slaying recorded on his Apple Watch | The Times of Israel

This may explain how the Turks may have audio evidence, but they claim to have video evidence too and that is as yet unexplained. Nevertheless the Turks obviously had the consulate under CCTV surveillance and therefore they know that Khashoggi did not walk out of the consulate.

The Great Orange Leader is now threatening "severe punishment" if regime involvement in the journalist’s death is confirmed, though that probably just means that he senses an opportunity for a shake-down.
Trump vows 'severe punishment' if Saudis killed Jamal Khashoggi | World news | The Guardian

The unknowable, for the moment at least, is whether all of this may have consequences for Mohammed bin Salman. There must be some factions of the House of Saud thinking the jettisoning MSB would solve a lot of problems.
That must have been horrendous for her if she listened to his screams.

Hillmanhunter1

Desperate stuff from the Saudi media, trying (mainly for domestic consumption, I guess) to shift the blame to Qatar and the Muslim Brotherhood:

"Doha’s continued sheer political recklessness which is that of a lawless renegade gang, which has been the case since the Two Hamads regime took power in Qatar after the coup Hamad Bin Khalifa staged against his father, also show that they were involved in Khashoggi’s disappearance. The coming days are set to expose the cronies of the Two Hamads and the Muslim Brotherhood groups."

Qatar’s ‘mad cow disease’! - Saudi Gazette!

Hillmanhunter1

Official Press Release:

"Riyadh, Safar 05, 1440, October 14, 2018, SPA -- An official source stated that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and from its leading position in the Arab and Islamic worlds has played a prominent role throughout history in achieving security, stability and prosperity of the region and the world, leading efforts in combating extremism and terrorism, enhancing economic cooperation and consolidating peace and stability in the region and the world and it is still working with brotherly and friendly countries to promote these goals, basing all of this on its own status as a platform of revelation, and the Qiblah of Muslims.

The kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether by threatening to impose economic sanctions, using political pressures, or repeating false accusations that will not undermine the Kingdom and its staunch positions and Arab, Islamic and international status, the outcome of these weak endeavors, like their predecessors, is a demise. The Kingdom as the government and people are steadfast, glorious as ever, no matter whatever the pressures and circumstances might be.

The Kingdom also affirms that if it receives any action, it will respond with greater action, and that the Kingdom's economy has an influential and vital role in the global economy and that the Kingdom's economy is affected only by the impact of the global economy.

The Kingdom appreciates the brothers' stand in the face of the campaign of false allegations and falsehoods, as well as it appreciates the voices of the wise people around the world, who have overcome wisdom, deliberation and the search for truth instead of rushing and seeking to exploit rumors and accusations to achieve goals and agendas unrelated to the search for truth."

General / Official Source: KSA confirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it The official Saudi Press Agency