• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who are the unemployed?

RahenyFG

We currently have near 15% unemployment. It has been stubbornly stuck on this figure for nearly 3 years now. I ask who are the unemployed exactly? There is always the 4%-5% who can't get work because they are disabled, have criminal convictions or are carers and others. So what about the remaining 9%-10%? What professions were they before the bust? It isn't all construction workers as some here would have you believe. Those on the live register and their previous professions need to be assessed, see what their skills and experience are and find what job can be found for them rather than the bureautic 'come in and sign on' which only makes people just a part of the system and doesn't encourage them to find work.

neiphin

your ma
:D

no she's still minding

Niall996

We currently have near 15% unemployment. It has been stubbornly stuck on this figure for nearly 3 years now. I ask who are the unemployed exactly? There is always the 4%-5% who can't get work because they are disabled, have criminal convictions or are carers and others. So what about the remaining 9%-10%? What professions were they before the bust? It isn't all construction workers as some here would have you believe. Those on the live register and their previous professions need to be assessed, see what their skills and experience are and find what job can be found for them rather than the bureautic 'come in and sign on' which only makes people just a part of the system and doesn't encourage them to find work.
I'm a struggling rock star. itunes had ************************************ everything up. The minute I put out an album, everyone ha it already for free and RTE wont play it. What am i to do?

D

Deleted member 34656

I'm unemployed but I'm not counted in the 15% because apparently I don't count.

Which is funny if you think about it.

RahenyFG

How's the FG jobs creation policy going OP?
I'll talk about the general unemployment situation and who is unemployed than about what the government is doing.

truthisfree

Do you have a job...apart from posting on here....?

The Owl

Well, we have all the newly qualified teachers, doctors, nurses, solicitors, engineers, mechanics, social workers, secretaries, etc., who come out of college and end up on the dole. They turn up every summer, in their thousands. Some go abroad. Some go back to college. Most struggle on for ages trying to get a job in their own country. And then we have those who just do their Leaving Cert and go onto the jobs market looking for apprenticeships etc. Thousands of them as well.

It's a shagging nightmare, isn't it?

firefly123

Despite The slagging there is a serious question here. If there are brick layers and quantity surveyors on the dole waiting for the next property boom then something needs to be done about that ( retraining/kick up the hole). If its a realistic job then full support but if you are waiting for tiger #2 then smack!!!

RahenyFG

Do you have a job...apart from posting on here....?
Yes I do, I work in the services sector and that's all I'm saying. If you were that interested in me you'd see that I sparingly post on the site, especially with work hours as I don't have the internet on my phone but let's not have this thread about the poster.

truthisfree

Yes I do, I work in the services sector and that's all I'm saying. If you were that interested in me you'd see that I sparingly post on, especially during work hours as I don't have the internet on my phone but let's not have this thread about the poster.
Ye just don't sound like someone who is that busy working.......more like PS than private sector....:(

elliebee

I'm unemployed but I'm not counted in the 15% because apparently I don't count.

Which is funny if you think about it.
My understanding is that it is 23% unemployed but 15% on the live register. They refuse to count the people who aren't entitled to benefit for some strange reason.

RahenyFG

My understanding is that it is 23% unemployed but 15% on the live register. They refuse to count the people who aren't entitled to benefit for some strange reason.
People on back to education aren't counted when they are essentially unemployed just in paid education by the state with welfare payments.

Popular Threads

Most Replies